My bridge broke :(

Miss Michele

Reaction score
I was going to practice today, but I found my poor ukulele broken. During the night my bridge fell off. I'm so upset! I took it back to the music store and they are going to fix it for free! Still, I'm not quite sure how it broke. I've been using a tuner, and trying real hard not to tune the strings too tight.

I have a Hilo Saprano that is a cheapie. $50. Are bridges all the same on all ukulele's, or does it depend on the make and model?

I guess this would be a good reason to invest in another one, eh? ;)

Dang! Sometimes the tension of the strings is just too much on the bridge, especially if the ukulele isn't the highest quality. Even the cheap ukuleles I've had though have never experienced that problem though. I'm not sure there's a way to prevent this because you want to make sure you're in tune. That's nice though that they'd fix it for free. Are you tuning to standard tuning (GCEA)?

Dang! Sometimes the tension of the strings is just too much on the bridge, especially if the ukulele isn't the highest quality. Even the cheap ukuleles I've had though have never experienced that problem though. I'm not sure there's a way to prevent this because you want to make sure you're in tune. That's nice though that they'd fix it for free. Are you tuning to standard tuning (GCEA)?

Yes, I'm tuning to standard tuning and using a clip digital tuner. They guy at the store even said he was surprised it broke off, so I'm not sure what I did wrong? Yea, they were not hesitant about fixing it. It's going to take a couple days though.

Aloha Miss Michele,
I have 20 year old Hilo, and a newer one about 25 year old one and they are holding up well....you never know
with these entry level ukes....the manufacture consistancy quality control level....maybe not enough glue...never
can tell unless I look at it...I would ask for another uke if it was me..if they reglue it even a little slightly off, it may sound
really terrible....make sure you test it out there for intonation when you receive it before accepting it.... Good Luck!! MM Stan..

Last edited:
Miss Michelle, this is nothing uncommon, and you didn't do anything wrong. Sometimes, especially with less expensive ukuleles, the bridge is not glued as securely as it should be. Normal string tension can then cause the bridge to pull off. Luckily, your dealer is willing to do the repair, and soon you should be good to go....

I actually had this happen with my FIRST Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple. I had had it for about a week. I played it before bed one night, then got up really early the next day. It was my day off, the wife was out of town, and I was going to drag out all my ukes and set them up in the living room and just drink coffee and play and admire them all (anyone else ever do that? Or is it just me?).... I opened the Mainland's case and the bridge had pulled off. I emailed Mike at Mainland right away, and he emailed back about an hour later (Sunday morning, Memorial Day weekend- how's THAT for customer service?). Tuesday (the first day after the holiday) they sent me out another one, no questions asked. He said that sometimes (rarely) the glue doesn't get set up enough and when the bridge is put under tension it comes off. I wouldn't think that would be a real common problem with ANY brand of uke, but that it could probably happen to anyone now and then. I'm glad the shop is taking care of yours for you. I was very impressed with Mainland's response, and btw, I've had no trouble at all with the replacement.

I actually had this happen with my FIRST Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple. I had had it for about a week. I played it before bed one night, then got up really early the next day. It was my day off, the wife was out of town, and I was going to drag out all my ukes and set them up in the living room and just drink coffee and play and admire them all (anyone else ever do that? Or is it just me?).....
Not just you, I try to check and at least tune all my ukes whenever I fill the humidifiers. It cheers me up just to look at them!

I don't think you did anything wrong either. It is just something that happens sometimes. I had it happened to me, and the manufacturer fixed it free of charge. It has been fine ever since. Mine wasn't entry level but maybe one step above that.

–Lori

It was my day off, the wife was out of town, and I was going to drag out all my ukes and set them up in the living room and just drink coffee and play and admire them all (anyone else ever do that? Or is it just me?)....
And I thought I was just about the only one to do that.... I do exactly that, admittedly rather often...

Anyways, maybe after repair and if the intonation is good, chances are the bridge will be secure for good and the uke just as good if not better. And then Miss Michelle you'll get UAS and.....

Last edited:
Hi Michelle, My first uke was a cheap Hilo too and I had the same problem with the bridge popping off. I tried super-gluing it back on a couple of times, but it kept popping off. It was then that I realized my ukulele hobby was more than a hobby. I just couldn't stand to be without a functioning ukulele. I bit the bullet and invested in a Fluke. It was a couple hundred bucks. But it sounded better and the bridge never popped off. Since then I have purchased a couple more ukuleles.

I kind of saw my bridge-popping Hilo experience as a coming of age event, a graduation of sorts. In my humble opinion, I would suggest that you move on to a better quality instrument. You will love it and never look back. Good luck!

Last edited:
How great that the store is going to fix it for you! Yes this has been known to happen from time to time with the inexpensive ukes, they don't have as good a quality control! Not your fault.

i know the feeling. the ukulele my sister gave me on my birthday broke too after a few weeks of playing it. the bridge broke off. mine is a Lumanog brand. a Filipino local brand more known for their guitars. i brought it to the maker's store initially with intent to have it fixed. the guy in the store asked, "sir how young is the kid using this?" i said the ukulele is mine and i use it. it just goes to show that here in the Philippines the ukulele hasn't gained that level of respect yet. they didn't take me and my broken ukulele seriously. i got my broken ukulele back and figured they wouldn't probably bother repairing it seriously like they way they manufactured the instrument haphazardly.

Thanks everyone for your support and advice! My Hilo is still at the store, and I'm going nuts without being able to play it!

My reason for buying a second uke: what if something happened to my first one?

Cletus, I'm looking to buy a second uke! I just don't know which one I want yet. There are SO many! lol

Oh Nose!

I'd be lost without my uke if that happened and I've only been playing a few weeks. Do you know what you will be looking for in a second uke? My kids got me a Makala MK-SN, which doesn't cost a heap of money, and I am amazed how good the tone is on it. I put Aquila strings on it and they made a bit of a difference, but to be honest it was sounding pretty good before that too.

Good luck, I hope the Hilo comes back better than ever.

Keep on strummin and hummin,

Bruce in Adelaide.

Top Bottom