Need Help on choosing a new ukulele

Foo

Reaction score
Hey guys , so i bought an Ibanez ukulele from my local music shop for $70

here it is here : http://www.ibanez.com/AcousticGuitars/model-UKS10

Been playing it for .... 1-2months on and off and yeah i have found it to be pretty easy to play(been playing guitar for a good 5-6 years, i think that helped).

So i took it to school to play and stuff , heaps of people loved it and that but i always get the same comments about it that it sounds a little "whiny".

So yeah basically i want to upgrade to a bigger and better ukulele ranging anywhere from 100-300 and need some reliable but nice brand names to look up on ebay.

Any ideas? Much appreciated Cheers!!:eek::eek::eek:

(Also i'm not sure how much an electric(Plug in ukulele) costs but any advice on that would be much appreciated too , Cheers!

EDIT: Found this on ebay , is this a good ukulele? because i have no idea. :http://cgi.ebay.com/Lanikai-LU-21TE...l_Instruments_Instruments&hash=item588a08453d

Last edited:
Hey there.
I'm no expert on Ukulele, but guess my advice is better then nothing. :)
I just got my Mainland Mahagony Tenor and I LOVE it. The sound is really nice and the look is great too. The intonation is really good!
I got mine for 359 dollar with a pick up.

Sweet! Lanikai must be a decent enough brand then , cheers for the reply it defz WAS better then nothing :)

Aloha Foo,
Welcome to the UU and our forums...some members here have reservations about Ibanez ukuleles....
They may have intonation issues...but hopefully you can try them out for intonation issues and pick
the best one out of the bunch...before buying...otherwise I'd pass...Over here, Mainland has been
liked by many UU members but as usual try them out first..as you know from your guitar experience.
Also you can call MGM and discuss it with him on what your preferences are on your next uke. You
can find him on the advertising on the main UU page and on Ebay.. I hope this helps.."Keep strumming
then strings"" Good Luck!! MM Stan...

Yeah dw i think its a s** ukulele haha i don't like the sound of it , just wanted something to muck around on but now i wanna upgrade :). Thanks for your comment , anybody have any experiance with the ukulele i found on Ebay? Do ukuleles sound good through an amp?

Last edited:
Lanikai is a pretty good uke for the price. But like mm stan sez....check out MGM for some pretty good deals!!

Hey foo, if you're searching for a good acoustic electric, or generally a good uke, you might wanna avoid the brand Mahalo? :/

A suggestions for a good acoustic electric uke would be..

http://www.mimsukes.com/mimsukes/lanikaiexotic/ ( Fellow UU member Mim here has really really good prices, shoot her a PM to ask for questions, she's really helpful too! And i mean. REALLY HELPFUL

And to add points to this Lanikai series, fellow UU member thejumpingflea, who is a REALLY REALLY talented player here, uses the Lanikai Solid Monkeypod with electronics for his stage performance in Cairns, Australia. Can't go wrong with the ukes he chooses.

Exactly what i needed to hear , cheers mate , i will defz steer clear of mahalo. It looked flash but the reviews it has on the internet says its pretty s** haha :/. And thanks for the link , i will look and pm Mim for some help in the morning some time , getting late :p.

Got to second the votes here for MGM, and Mim. I just bought a Lanikai w/electrics from Mim and it was a great experience, I also have another Lanikai (LU-21C) and it's a well made nice playing uke especially for the price. I've purchased several ukes fron MGM and he is increadibly helpfull. You can't go wrong with either.

Got to second the votes here for MGM, and Mim. I just bought a Lanikai w/electrics from Mim and it was a great experience, I also have another Lanikai (LU-21C) and it's a well made nice playing uke especially for the price. I've purchased several ukes fron MGM and he is increadibly helpfull. You can't go wrong with either.

I agree 100% :agree: Contact both of these fine people, ask questions and then decide. Lanikai is a pretty good uke, and STAY AWAY FROM MAHALO!!!!

Hi Foo,

If you can get into the Guitar Factory at Gladesville they have around 20 ukes out on display from the Makala through to the KK's.

Play your way through them and it will make your decision easier.

Cheers for the replies but i've decided on the Zebrawood Lanakai , It's just way to beautiful for my liking and i need one. Will try to cifer through the best deals and see how cheap i can get it ! :p , wish me luck haha

Hey foo,

I think the best price that you can get...Has to be Mim. Not giving biased opinions, but i asked around prices for that uke, and Mim...

I Have spoken to Mim about that uke , he was INSANELY helpful and if i could vouch for him i would. But i found a better deal which was about $50 cheaper then Mim's that was a one off on ebay

:p my dad payed for my ukulele for my 18th birthday as a surprise, CHEERING! :D

Top Bottom