Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your Ukulele story?

Default What's your Ukulele story?

My interest in playing the ukulele came from boredom, really. I work an evening shift while my friends and family all work the day shift. I hardly have a social life because of this. I have other hobbies, but I wanted something different in my life. I decided it had to do something with music because I enjoy listening to music. I wanted to create my own music. So I did some research on a few musical instruments. I stumbled across an ukulele video and I was hooked! The more I watched and researched, the more excited I became about learning to play the ukulele! Before I even got my uke, I would sit for hours watching tutorials and learning chords. Thanks to boredom, I'm a happy Uker!

What's your ukulele story?

This promises to be a great thread, so I'll keep mine brief:

Dad got hooked on uke when stationed in Hawaii, taught me the basics when I was about 9. Picked a little banjo and guitar in High School, moved on to piano. Bought a Kamaka as a souvenir in 1991, but let it gather dust. Two years ago, took it backpacking so I could jam with the boys, then decided it was time to finally learn to play. It is now my overriding passion in life (next to my wife (had to say that).

Posted this about a hundred times in the past few weeks...not shy about posting it again.
    I was given the holy grail, and ignored it for 20 years. Think it is a pretty good story:
    An Old Ukulele

My friend brought an Ukulele and posted pictures on her blog, she said she wanted to buy one in many different colours. Anyway, I was out shopping one day and we saw a charity shop that was selling new instruments and low and behold there was this purple Ukulele, with a blue and red one too. The price was within my budget and I thought I would give it a go, I brought it and then found myself wiling away the hours learning chords and then I found this place and the rest, as they say is history!
    Astrid/Unknown Brand || Lilo/Ohana SK10S || Rhea/Luna Tattoo Pineapple || Hoa/Koa Pili Koko || Hope/Tanglewood TU1 CE || Kupuna/Eleuke Rosewood 100 Series || Joy/Poiple Flea || Cora/Clearwater Vita

Joey @ 4 Ukulele - My Ukulele Journey Blog || The Rocking Dodars || Bug Books: Joey Paul Online || "Like" me on FaceBook

actually got tired of using the computer for gaming lol got myself a uke and now i play that instead

having a blast!!

How I found the ukulele was sort of a divine intervention I believe. If you’re not spiritual, I guess this will throw you off. But I don’t know how to describe it any other way. At one night while searching for songs we will sing in church, I found in youtube a cover of really mellow Christian song reinvented using a ukulele. Knowing how the song sounded originally, I tremendously noticed the difference. The mellow heavy Christian song sounded light, honest, vulnerable, and in my opinion happier. That opened up a whole new respect for a new instrument. I googled ‘ukulele.’ From numerous articles, one of which I don’t remember anymore, I read that the ukulele is the second easiest stringed instrument anyone could learn. And it was fate from then on. Maybe I could learn the ukulele. Weeks passed, and for days I also passed by numerous music shops gazing through a very very limited stocks of ukuleles. I ended up with one that’s made in Indonesia. Got home, looked up how to tune it and then I was surprised and hour later. I was able to learn this land is your land, yellow submarine, and surfin’ USA in one hour and these were taught by one guy – Ukulele Mike from youtube. Three songs in one hour, I was amazed and happy. Sure it wasn’t MJ’s man in the mirror but it’s better than Mary had a little lamb.
    Now everybody's got a crazy notion of their own. Some like to mix up with a crowd, some like to be alone. It's no one elses' business as far as I can see, but every time that I go out the people stare at me, with me little ukulele in me hand. ~ George Formby Jr.

Great threat!

After playing the guitar for a couple of years, I realized that the music I played on guitar weren't the music I liked to play. Also, I grew tired of the fact that everyone could play guitar - Nothing special about that.
    A couple of hours on YouTube showed me that ukulelemusic was what I had been looking for all the time, so I ordered a ukulele to try it out, and has been loving it ever since.
    One of the things that I love the most is that Ukulele is completly underrated where I live, and most often considered a small toy. I love the expression of people's faces after I've played a couple of numbers. No more laughs when I bring my ukulele
    You’ll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

Gretsch Mahagony Guilele
    Kanile'a K2-T
    Mainland Mahagony Tenor
    Lanikai S-T

My story not so exciting... but here it is, Years ago (I wont tell exactly how many) I was a DJ at my college radio station, just before they changed over to CD's from real vinyl, I played this song occasionally by Camper VanBeethoven called Take the Skinheads Bowling, moving forward a few years(and several years ago) One of my old DJ friends emailed me a link to a ukulele cover of it by three women, members here ukulezo is one, loved it and was amazed that the ukulele could make music like that, and then when I saw people doing Ramones covers on the uke, I was smitten.... Alas I did nothing about it.

So years later my kids are older and all taking instrument lessons Oldest 14-guitar, next 10- violin and just started flute, youngest is8 and has been taking guitar and just started double bass. I was raging in jealousy at my kids making music (loving it all the same and so excited to have live music blaring all the time) One day, chatting with the guitar teacher, he starts mentioning the ukulele and how the shop just got a good one... and says you should play because you are so intrigued with music(noting he had been trying to get me to play guitar) and that got me thinking about it again... I was a bit scared to do it because it wasn't in the budget for me to have lessons but for a belated birthday gift my husband bought me a very basic uke, a Greg Bennett for about $60. A week later, in a terrified state, I replaced the strings with aquila's and I am making my way around the fretboard a little....

I love all your stories... keep 'em coming...

I've played and owned all sorts of instruments over the years, but I played guitar first. Stringwise, mandolin came next. On another board altogether, another mando player I respect (and member of this board) mentioned that he wasn't playing his mandolin much since he'd been having so much fun with uke. Uke? Who knew?
    Around that time, I came across the Jake video of "While My Guitar etc" and that was that-- I had to give it a try.
    I still play my other instruments too-- just revived my guitar interest, and I still play a lot of mandolin in a small Irish band and at sessions.
    Wanna play something you don't pluck for a change?
    www.busmanwhistles.com

My story isn't very interesting, but I'll share it anyway.
    I loved the version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow by Glee, the cover of Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's version, and I was in love, especially with the sound of the uke, it sounded so light and happy. I didn't go and buy an uke immediately though, I got my Mahalo completely by accident, from a guitar shop in a shopping centre. I was actually going to buy a new pair of shoes, but I saw it hanging there for a bargain $39 SGD, so I thought I'd get it. I'm really hoping to get into this like how so many people are on here.

Thread Information