harbor freight trim router and other power tools

Ouch! It only cost me $300 for my finger, but then the insurance picked up the other $5400. Only one more surgery to go, too! So, what exactly did the cheap router do to you?

I'll just say that I no longer have a thumb print and it involved the bit coming loose form the collet. The "incident" happened last November and I'd say the pain finally went away a month ago. 15 years of professional woodworking and I didn't have a single accident until I bought an inferior piece of equipment.

Does anyone have experience with Skil routers? The one at Home Depot and Lowes is $99 and comes with a plunge base and a mounted base. The Skil router table is also priced lower than the top brands (Porter Cable & Bosch).

It wouldn't be my first choice but I use my tools a lot. If you just need to do occaisional routing it should work OK. Pay attention to how it holds a depth setting and how the collet fits into the router and how it holds the bit. They are not the best for precision machining and making sturdy, dependable equipment like in the past but they may have changed with new owners. You may be able to get a reconditioned Bosch, Porter Cable, Dewalt, etc from here for close to the same money and be better off: http://cpooutlets.com/factory-reconditioned/ I only buy reconditioned hand power tools as they have proven to be more dependable to me. They actually get bench tested/burned in and come with a 30 day return and full factory warranty. CPO Bosch has a great deal on the Colt for $75 btw http://www.cpotools.com/factory-reconditioned-bosch-pr10e-rt-colt-single-speed-palm-router/bshrpr10e-rt,default,pd.html?start=3&cgid=bosch-reconditioned-routers

I also need some new power tools. Due to the fact that I do not have so much space for storing them I do not own a lot of power tools. Already checked some tools from Dewalt and Bosch but I am not sure which one I should take. Until I will find the right tool for me I will use rental power tools because with them I can bypass the time until I have my own tools.

Nothing from Harbor freight ...

Something to consider about routers is the tolerance in the bearings, and their longevity. Any slop in the bearings will make the router more prone to causing tearout. Good bits, and a good router..... It really hurts to see wood destroyed by a router, and it can happen very, very fast. The Festool laminate trimmer is top notch.

I agree with Michael.
I buy their close quarter drill for sanding bowls on the lathe.
It's often on sale for $29.
I fry one a year.
But I would never consider buying a lathe from them or anything else that requires precision.
You get what you pay for, and sometimes that's all you need.

I got a bosch colt last week used for $40. I am very pleased with it, it looks to have seem minimal use, I am keeping my eye out for more of them... I resisted for a long time as I dislike using routers, but when I started making ukes I fount they are simply to convenient to do without, now I am working on collecting a router or Lam trimmer for each of the bits I use on a uke, that way I never have to swap out a bit...

Reciprocating saw is probably the most effective tool for electricians, homeowners, plumbers, and remodelers. If you are a regular user of power tools, make sure you have a safe working environment. Don’t forget about the injuries that may entail due to poor safety measure.

I learn this information from this site: https://toolspicked.com/how-to-use-a-reciprocating-saw/

I have both the Colt and a Dremel and use them for different things. I use the Dremel for small polishing jobs, and the Colt for cutting saddle slots and trimming off the excess on the top and backs after construction. You don't want just a regular straight bit though for trimming, you want the one with a bearing that rides on the side so you get a flush cut. The Stewmac price for the Colt is about $25 more than most places sell it for new. I saw a picture of Chuck Moore's shop and noticed that he mounts his Colt under the workbench with the router bit protruding through the table to trim his backs and tops (I assume), so I mounted one the same and it works great that way, but you may get an occasional chip out if you don't do it right. I made my own jig to cut the saddle slots that holds the bridge firmly and parallel to the edge that the Colt rides against.

Top Bottom