Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Every Day Carry: What's in your pockets?

Default Every Day Carry: What's in your pockets?

I haven't been too active on UU lately...or at least not as much as before. That's because I've been visiting tactical and preparedness forums recently. And one of the terms in that community is "EDC" or Every Day Carry. It involves what you carry on your body every day.

I've spent quite a bit of time to find what I like, and have finally settled on what I believe is the ultimate EDC setup for myself.

Phone: Blackberry Bold- So functional. I love my Blackberries. I've got a clear polycarbonate case and a screen protector on it (much needed.) Also have a 3mmx22mm Tritium Vial (glow in the dark radioactive material) and a Yoshi character on it.

Wallet: Gucci Wallet- Simple black wallet. Great quality. Have bandaids, guitar pics, fresnel lens (for starting fires) and an tiny 8GB flash drive in it.

Watch: Movado Juro- timeless, simple design.

Flashlight: HDS 170 Clicky Flashlight- programmable, bombproof flashlight, with 170 lumen max. After rotating through a number of flashlights: Fenix, Nitecore, 4Sevens Quarks, Surefires, I have decided on the HDS. Just awesome flashlight. Flashlights are extremely useful when you need to see in the dark properly.

Knife: Spyderco Stretch Carbon Fiber- I've experimented with a lot of knives, mostly Benchmades and Spydercos. The Spyderco Stretch was my favorite. So I invested in the carbon fiber version with ZDP189 blade steel. Just excellent quality, and comes in handy when I want to peel a fruit, or make a sandwich, or open boxes or mail. Not a weapon, but a tool.

Keychain Toys
    Fox 40 Micro Whistle- for singaling.
    Inka Pen- Great for those emergency writing situations.
    Leatherman Squirt S4- my favorite keychain multitool. Most used tools are scissors, bottle opener, and tweezers. If you don't have one, you should definitely buy one and keep it on your keys.
    Tritium Vial- another cool glow in the dark toy.

Pepper Guard- Some pepper spray for just in case.

Phiten University of Manoa Wristband- I've been wearing Phiten products for a long time. My favorite is definitely the UH Manoa wristband: 6 1/4 in. Do I think Phiten products have health benefits? Almost definitely not everything they claim.

Silver chain with Tungsten/Carbon Fiber ring- just for looks.

Sunglasses: Ray Ban Aviators. I also rotate between Wayfarers and Oakleys depending on the situation. To be honest, the Oakleys are my favorite. They just have the best optics.

Please share what you've got on yourself every day!
    Last edited by experimentjon; 10-03-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Ballistic nylon/velcro tri-fold wallet. Plastic squeeze-to-open coin holder. Car keys. iPod Touch. Basic, plain-Jane Samsung cell phone. If I'm working, add a ball point pen. If I'm going downtown at night, add a Springfield Armory .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol and two extra magazines.
    Things get better with age. I'm approaching magnificent....

Kala KA-SC :: Sapele /ebony soprano, handmade :: Kiwaya K-Wave Tele Uke :: Big Island KTO-TR :: Lanikai LU-8EK :: Eastman concert prototype :: vintage banjolele :: Mainland gloss mahogany concert

"And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there..." - George Harrison

"Just a few ukulele hooligans getting wild and strummy...." - chindog

5:2576

Aloha Jon,
    What are you preparing for? Hey man you're scaring me....
    MM Stan.....

Quote Originally Posted by mailman View Post
    Ballistic nylon/velcro tri-fold wallet. Plastic squeeze-to-open coin holder. Car keys. iPod Touch. Basic, plain-Jane Samsung cell phone. If I'm working, add a ball point pen. If I'm going downtown at night, add a Springfield Armory .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol and two extra magazines.
    I like a man who travels light. Style points for the coin holder!
    cletus

Quote Originally Posted by mm stan View Post
    Aloha Jon,
    What are you preparing for? Hey man you're scaring me....
    MM Stan.....
    No need to be scared!

But I think it's good to have things that you might need on you. You won't believe how useful the knife or flashlight is when you need to use it. But honestly, if I only could have one of the high-utility accessories that I carry, it would be the Leatherman Squirt. That thing is so useful.

Gun however, not so useful to me. I don't expect to have to use one...and you can't quite spread Nutella with one. Also illegal for civillian carry in HI. My equivilant for having to go into a high-risk environment would be a can of pepper foam, backed up by a nice pair of Nikes for running.

Quote Originally Posted by cletus View Post
    The coin holders are getting hard to find!

Kala KA-SC :: Sapele /ebony soprano, handmade :: Kiwaya K-Wave Tele Uke :: Big Island KTO-TR :: Lanikai LU-8EK :: Eastman concert prototype :: vintage banjolele :: Mainland gloss mahogany concert

"And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there..." - George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by experimentjon View Post
    No need to be scared!

But I think it's good to have things that you might need on you. You won't believe how useful the knife or flashlight is when you need to use it. But honestly, if I only could have one of the high-utility accessories that I carry, it would be the Leatherman Squirt. That thing is so useful.

Gun however, not so useful to me. I don't expect to have to use one...and you can't quite spread Nutella with one. Also illegal for civillian carry in HI. My equivilant for having to go into a high-risk environment would be a can of pepper foam, backed up by a nice pair of Nikes for running.
    I have a Leatherman Mini, which I carried for a year. After figuring out that I never use it, I put it in a drawer. I consider pepper spray to be a minimalist answer to a potentially deadly problem. If I feel as though my life is at risk, I will deploy substantially greater measures. Concealed carry (with a permit) is legal in New York. I don't need sunglasses, as my glasses are photo-sensitive. A whistle might be handy if I were in a wilderness of some kind, camping or whatever, but not daily. I have flashlights all over the house, in my car, at work....I don't need to carry one on me. Minimalism works for me....

Quote Originally Posted by cletus View Post
    I carry one of those things too.. they're getting hard to find. I got mine so I don't make a jingling noise at work. I usually only carry it at work, so I have change for the vending machine.

I have a wallet for my driver's license and debit card, etc. I carry my cash (not that there's MUCH of it) loose in my pocket rather than in my wallet. I sometimes have a pocket knife, but only if I'm NOT at work (where it would sometimes be useful, but isn't allowed). I sometimes have my phone and iPod (again, not at work).
    Now, if you asked what I have in my pockets when I am in Chicago at the big tobacco pipe collecting show I go to every year... Tamper, tobacco pouch, lighter, camera, 5 or 6 pipes, pipe cleaners, phone, iPod, tons of peoples' business cards.... When I'm there I wear one of those traveller's vests with all the pockets. I don't think I would ever wear one anywhere else... maybe camping, I suppose.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1. Those who need closure.

ca. 1923-'27 Martin Style 3M, ca. 1927-'28 Martin Style 2M, 1950s Martin Style 1M, ca. 1930 Gibson Uke 3, Kiwaya KTS-7, Mainland Gloss Mahogany Soprano, Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple Soprano, Mainland Maple Soprano Banjo Uke, Flea Soprano, Maccaferri Islander Soprano and Baritone, et al...
    My paltry Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/ukecycle

If I'm going downtown at night, add a Springfield Armory .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol and two extra magazines.
    My kid sis who lives in Florida has her CCP, crime rate has dropped dramatically there since they made getting a CCP easier. Is that a 1911 Colt clone? Do you have something lighter for daytime summer wear.

Me, just a wallet, cell phone car keys, and pocket knife. Used to carry a Kubotan but found I never needed it.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum

I ʻike lākou, ʻo ʻoe, ka mea wale nō nona ka inoa ʻo IĒHOVA;
    ʻO ʻoe nō ka Mea kiʻekiʻe loa ma luna o ka honua a pau.
    Nā Halelū 83:18

The coin holders are getting hard to find!
    New poll: How many ukulele players carry plastic squeeze to open coin holders?

And where DO you guys find those things? Anachronism.com?

Cheers!
    cletus

Thread Information