Uke Minutes 18 - Chord Families

Episode 18 - Chord Families

Alright, I know this has been discussed a bit around the boards, so if anyone has questions about this episode, I am certain that you shall find some good quality help from the great people of The Underground!

Go ahead and post away!

ooo great video! i have a question though. are there chord families for minor scales too? or is that for a future uke minutes? :p haha

Looks like its time to get out my circle of fifths so I can figure out chord families other than the ones for the scales I know off the top of my head (which would be C, F, Bb, Eb, G) All my wonderful years of learning music theory...forgotten already. :)

Or someone could just write out all the chord families for other noobs like me who can't do the counting/assigning in their heads. :)

sounds good. watching me try and find other chord smust be fun cause i got no clue lmao

Great video. I just learn this. The regular number is for the individual notes and the roman numeral is for the chords. 1,3,5,7 for notes and I,IV,V for chords and the V can be a 7th chord. Mahalo.

one thing I find confusing are the multiple names for the diminished chords. For instance a Bdim (G#, D, F, B) is the same as an Fdim (Ab, D, F, Cb) is the same as a Ddim (Ab, D, F, B) - just another way of saying it. So the fingering are essentially the same, just sometimes in a different order.

Good lesson. And like all good lessons it prompts questions. Thank you.

Great video. I just learn this. The regular number is for the individual notes and the roman numeral is for the chords. 1,3,5,7 for notes and I,IV,V for chords and the V can be a 7th chord. Mahalo.
Yea confusing. Especially when you singing in the middle of a song and you have to stop, oh how you play that chord? What's interesting about diminished chords is that it's all one shape, up and down the fret.

How about the Am7 and the C6? Same thing but different "roots." One's a "minor 7th chord" and the other is a "major 6th chord".

Top Bottom