I think I'm strumming wrong.. advice?

allie

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
So I've only been playing uke for about a week but I have a background in music which I think is helping me learn at a fairly quick pace. However, I've been watching videos and it seems that people strum with just their index finger or their thumb. I've been strumming with my thumb and index finger pinched together (as if I'm holding a guitar pick but I'm not) so I was wondering if that's incorrect technique?

I figure if I'm doing something wrong I should correct it now rather than wait til I'm too used to what I'm already doing to change it.

Oh and also I've been experimenting with using a felt pick and it worked for a couple hours but now it keeps getting caught in the strings so I can't get a smooth strum. Has anyone else ever had this problem?

Thanks for reading! Hope I can learn a bunch of new stuff from you guys to improve my uke playing :)

I think there is no "wrong" way to strum, as long as you're happy with it and it sounds okay, it should be okay. I use a felt pick and actually find it easier than strumming with my fingers, though I try to practise both because I don't want to be reliant on a pick...

Hope that helps..

Hi Allie!

I've only been playing for a week myself, and had trouble with the strum as well. I found this video to be very helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-X_FxbUJZM

Strumming also seems to be a very personal thing. There isn't a 'right' way to do it, whatever feels the most comfortable to you is good. Hope that helped!

Cheers!
Symon

I doubt you can strum wrong.
I've only been playing ukulele for a couple of months, but been playing guitar for several years, so I've been strumming quite a lot.
Using thumb and index finger has the advantage of allowing you to learn new techniques.
I've seen several people strum as you described, and there is nothing wrong with it - I even started strumming like that.
But as I increased the tempo I had to seperate my fingers and start using index and thumb seperatly to keep up and it all came along by itself.
I guess you just have to try what works best for you.

Aloha Allie,
As everyons has said, Although In have never tried playing with my fingers pinch together(I just tried and didn't like it)I'd say
strum with either your thumb or index finger...from there, find which way sounds good and try different techniques..but for
you I start of with something basic. Google Musicteacher2010 and scroll down on the right side of his related videos for the
strumming lessons..I think that will be a big help..If you have any problems just ask here or Pm me.. either anyone here or
I would be glad to help...Good Luck!! Have fun and Enjoy!! "Keep strumming themstrings"
BTW-welcome to the UU and our Humble forums!!! Let us know how it turns out!! MM Stan...

Yes the strum method you use is what feels good and produces the sound you are looking for. Me...I use my index finger for strumming only and for picking I use my thumb. Also, if you try using your index finger, remember to strum down allowing the finger nail to hit the strings and on the up strum allow the "meat" portion of your index finger to hit the strings. Strumming the uke usually takes place where the fret board meets the body, not over the sound hole.
Hope this helps a bit!!!

I am a "Thumb strummer". While I get the sound, and technique I desire from it, I do feel it limits me sometimes in the speed in which I can strum. Triplets are not easy to do with just your thumb. But whatever works for you is the way you should do it! If I try and strum with my index finger, I sound like a complete amateur and that's frustrating, so I go back to what I know. Thumb strumming. :)

Cheers,
Skottoman

I use the same method you use. There really isn't a "wrong" way to strum. As long as it's comfortable, and makes a sound you like, then it's all good. One thing though - if you strum with just your thumb, it's much harder to learn to chunk than it would be using your current "pinch" technique.

Jake uses the pinch method too. However, for really fast strumming he uses the index finger. I think you get a great tone using the pinch and will often use it when I'm playing in a group so that I can hear my own uke while I play.

I agree with Seeso though, in order to chunk you would want to use your index finger. At this stage, since you're just starting out, I would practice both.

As far as the felt pick or any pick for that matter the vast majority of 'ukulele players don't use a pick, they use just there finger and their nails the natural pick. If you feel more comfortable using a pick then go for it, as stated numerous times there is no wrong way to strum. Main thing you are comfortable and happy, that what the 'ukulele is all about! ;)

I use the same method you use. There really isn't a "wrong" way to strum. As long as it's comfortable, and makes a sound you like, then it's all good. One thing though - if you strum with just your thumb, it's much harder to learn to chunk than it would be using your current "pinch" technique.

Interesting, and probably true. I "Chunk" as a thumb strummer by muting all strings with my palm during the chunk strum.

I am assuming this is the harder way to do it, or maybe I'm not doing it right, but I can for sure get a "chunk" sound strumming with my thumb. I guess I don't know what I'm missing not being able to strum with my index finger!

Cheers,
Skottoman

Great advice and comments have already been given. I have nothing to add other than another welcome to UU!

It seems like I'm the only one using their middle finger. I pinch my middle finger with my thumb and so far chunking, triplets, and picking hasn't really been an issue for me. The only tough thing is that in the beginning getting a consistent and even strum across all 4 strings was difficult, but I assume that was for everyone.

The ukulele is not usually considered an instrument with only one accepted set of techniques (like a vioin) which is why many here state that there is no "wrong" way to strum. However, nearly every ukulele method describes strumming the strings with the first finger in an up/down motion, generally referred to as the "common" strum. I teach ukulele at a Sam Ash music store here in Florida and I have had a few students to switch to this method with the result being increased facility and a better "feel" for strumming. I use my thumb for single notes and special strums like the roll stroke and triple roll, but I think there is a reason all of thse method teach using the first finger for strumming.

- Steve

I also use the pinch my fingers together when I strum to and it works for me. Everyone once and awhile I'll thumb strum the first note when I switch chords.

Top Bottom