i am a horrible singer...........

That is so true. And there's a double standard for female vocalists. They have to be perfect or else it will be said they suck. There are only a few exceptions to this rule.

I'd like to add Robert Smith to the list of guys as well. - and yeah I don't care, The Cure wouldn't be The Cure without his voice... well, even if he was still writing the songs anyway.

That is so true. And there's a double standard for female vocalists. They have to be perfect or else it will be said they suck. There are only a few exceptions to this rule.

Yeah, no fair!

Regardless, I do find that there are songs I've been singing for years (in the shower mostly!) that I feel decently confident about, so practice must be pretty important. Most things sound better in the shower, for whatever reason.

But "bad" singers are some of my favorites! There's something adorable about an untrained voice. It seems more honest and pure. Forget all that overly rehearsed- American Idol- mewing like a pussy cat- crap, and just be yourself! And be loud! That's my advice.

Horrible Singer

Can't stand the way I sing. Seem to either be off beat. Or lose my Tab beat to the song that Im playing. I don't know what to do. Any tips. Like to keep the beat or even just play the damn song while singin. HELP!:confused:

Can't stand the way I sing. Seem to either be off beat. Or lose my Tab beat to the song that Im playing. I don't know what to do. Any tips. Like to keep the beat or even just play the damn song while singin. HELP!

i do not claim to be a great singer, but singing on beat and such is one of those things you just have to work at... i do suggest that you get a metranome, or look online there are alot of diffrent ones. the 'gnome will help you keep the beat while you strum. this is what i say for trying to sing while playing

1. Memorize the chords
2. Find the beat
3. play it through all the chord changes to see if you remember all the chords
4. attempt to sing over the chords you are playing

there are more steps im sure, but this is what i do and it seems to work out sometimes... and then you try some things like bob marley and he never really sings on beat and you just have to go with it...

experiment!

I don't know if it's been said already but I'll share anyways.

My advice would be when you practice don't over stretch yourself.
Get to know your voice and range.
When you're singing, don't strain your voice by trying to sing notes you can't reach. If it's too high or too low, just sing it in a different key.

Try singing songs that play to your strengths as well. For example, I'm quite a strong belter, and have a good twang but my head voice is weak in comparison.
So you wouldn't see me doing the likes of beegees, or justin timberlake or the like.

Anyways I'll stop rambling now.:eek:

I don't have a good voice, but I have at least learned to sing roughly in tune along with my playing. Here's my tips:

1. Learn to play the chords through first, and 'hear' the tune clearly in your head. Make sure you can hear exactly what notes you're going to be aiming for.

2. Once you can play the song and hear yourself singing it well in your head, try to sing the notes but not the words. Just "aah" your way through the song. As you're doing it, make sure you still 'hear' the notes in your head before you try to make them.

3. Once you've got that, start singing the words. Concentrate on getting the notes right, and saying the words fairly clearly. Don't worry about the quality of your voice -- just do it.

Always sing it loud and proud. Imagine yourself smiling, and sing using as much of your body as you can. At least your chest and all of your mouth. This is hard if you don't think your voice sounds good -- you'll try to sing timidly from your throat, but this will only make your voice sound weeny and give you less control over the notes.

And sit up straight or stand when you sing, shoulders back. The poise you would have if you were performing.

...Or on the other hand, you can just learn to be okay with your voice. Some of my favorite vocalists-- especially male vocalists-- don't exactly have pretty voices:

Tom Waits
Lou Reed
Bob Dylan
Leonard Cohen

...if the song is strong enough, it matters little what the vocalist sounds like.

All of those guys still know how to sing the right notes. If you're lucky to have a beautiful or distinctive tone to your voice then that's great -- but singing in tune is still something you have to learn. You also have to learn to get the volume right and communicate emotion through the voice that you have.

Bob Dylan had an amazingly versatile voice when he was younger. He's best known for that "stoner sound" from the mid sixties ("Bringing it all on Blonde"), but listen to Nashville Skyline and you'll see what a pretty voice he could put on when he wanted to.

im a bad singer myself and i dont think i sound good. not only i sound bad but i sing too soft! so i guess ur fine.. as long as u practice and just enjoy singing or just hav fun making vids like what im doin.. ur all good man!! haha! no pressure just enjoy! and rock on!!! :rock:

We should really have that contest singing "under the bridge". I don't know if I would win, but I would at least end up in the top 5 of worst singer around here.

When I grew up I had a family that would ridicule you mercilessly every time you tried to sing. So... we didn't sing :p

My wife, who is a big singer, told me that I absolutely had to sing to my children because she wanted singing children. So I just go into this mode where I don't care and sing to them. So my children are subjected to my horrible voice, he, he.

But there is more! Now I am teaching Sunday school, so those children are subjected to me as well! Bwa ha ha!

My theory is that at some point I should be able to sing in key. But I am not there.

Gah, I'm the same way. I have a great sense of pitch but I'm still a bad singer. So I really never sing at all, I just hate the way my voice sounds so I write vocals for others rather than for myself. =/

I'm no good singer by any stretch,but it is pretty fun. I think you gotta find your range that your pipes are comfortable with and sing like that.I used to try to sing this way or that,but when I just relaxed and felt what was most natural for me,it turned out a little better.(maybe).

i think that you should always just have fun with singing :)

you just have to work with what ya' got---
there are some things that you can do to improve your voice such as vocal training classes or something as simple as joining a choir (yep, i said that in the other thread too...heehee)

but be proud of your voice and just have fun.

I would consider myself an OK singer, but when it comes to any advice i could help with,

its confidence. just like a woman notices that a man is confident in himself, anyone who listens to you will know you're confident in your voice, so while perfect pitch matter and being able to control your voice, a lot of it has to do with your confidence.

My priest showed me the petition asking that I sit further back and sing softly. :uhoh::D

I used to think that I was a good singer. I mean, when I am in my car and I have the radio turned up loud-I sound just like the singer. And the louder the music, the more I sound like that person. But when I sing straight out with no background music-OMG, I am horrible.
I tried to make my first uke video, and it is confirmed that I am a bad singer. But I don't make any bones about it. It is what it is. I think people around me appreciate it because they see I am having fun with it.
So practice, get better, but most importantly-have fun:shaka:

yeah i know how you feel... i used to be really bad as in REALLY bad
i couldnt sing notes haha but i didnt care what people think so i practise everywhere (whereever i bring my uke but the shower LOL) shower, train, church, outings, everywhere. Im not that good yet but i can hit notes. so yeah just keep practising ! youll get better... we'll get better haha

Top Bottom