Lanikai SM-C.

stevecarrero

Reaction score
Hello,
I've been looking around and I'm real close to pulling the trigger on a Lanikai SM-C. I bought a Fender Hau oli on-line a few months back, so this is the only uke I have ever played. It cost $149. I love the look Lanikai and what I'm looking for is an answer to the age old question. Does the cost of the Lani pay me back in better quality, sound, and playing action over the Fender? Any and all opinions from you guys will be really appreciated. Thank you very much.

PS. Is there a better choice then the Lani in its price range.

Hey Steve,

The first thing that I would like to point out, is that you are looking to get a different sized uke.
The Lanikai is a Concert, the Fender is a Tenor.

I don't think you could go wrong with Lanikai.
What's your..Price range? Maybe we could assist you :)

Thank you Lexxy. Yes, I know its a concert, I would like to own both sizes. The Lanikai is $300 w/o a case, so I would be willing to spend that much for a good quality, good sounding, nice playing uke.

Aloha Steve,
For me, I wouldn't rush it....and save up for another level uke, maybe a solid body one...or even Koa....you don't want too many
ukes of the same level...get one of substantial difference...you'll save in upgrades in the long run ....Stan..

I think the action (height) may be hit or miss unless you can go check it out in person. I had to lower the nut on my Lanikai.

Solid Koa instruments don't start cheap.. Well mostly cuz Koa is.. Mostly preferred wood for the uke?

(So tempted to say Moore bettah ukes :p )

Aloha Steve,
For me, I wouldn't rush it....and save up for another level uke, maybe a solid body one...or even Koa....you don't want too many
ukes of the same level...get one of substantial difference...you'll save in upgrades in the long run ....Stan..

I agree...at $300 you are getting pretty close to affording a Koa uke....Keli, Mele, Pono. You might want to rethink a bit more. There is a huge difference from that Lanikai to a Keli, Mele or Pono.

Sorry for being a PITA, but I've been surfing around and I'm so overwhelmed. So many sites and so many models and brands. Molokinirum: Can you refer me to a site that will feature Keli, Mele or Pono? Thank you everybody for the concern and replies.

Sorry for being a PITA, but I've been surfing around and I'm so overwhelmed. So many sites and so many models and brands. Molokinirum: Can you refer me to a site that will feature Keli, Mele or Pono? Thank you everybody for the concern and replies.

Ebay is a good place to start, musicguymic has a store there and his service and reputation are second to none and he carries Pono and Kelii (and he's a member here). Another store there that has Pono is Hawaii Music Supply, and Mele has a store there as well, melemaui. From most that I've seen solid Koa start at about the $400-450 price, but there may be some out there a bit cheaper, but a solid Mahagony would be well within your price range.

Ok, I ended up ordering a Mainland Red Cedar Concert from Mike. I heard the tonal differences on some online videos and decided that the RC was brighter and I liked that over the mahogany concert. And, in reference to another post that I entered under "buying tips" I went with gold friction pegs with amber buttons, should look beautiful. I can't wait to receive it.

I'll probably end up putting the Fender tenor on ebay, and start saving up for a someday solid koa purchase from the islands. Thanks to all who helped, and I'll post pictures after I get the Mainland. BTW, I've been a member of many different forums, on many different subjects. I've found that everybody here (ukulele underground) can not be a nicer bunch of people. Thanks again.

Top Bottom