Low G strings & High G strings

Lokene

UU+
Reaction score
Hi!

Right now I have D'Addario's T2 Titanium Trebles on my Tenor ukulele. Extra hard tension on my G string (High G) and hard tensions on the C, E & A strings. I love them!! I talked to the company who makes my ukulele and they said the higher tension string will be no problem. My friends likes my strings but he wants a Low G tuning. Can he get the same strings as me and tune it in a Low G? Or does he have to get a different kind of string or tension to tune it to a Low G. I don't know what to say to him. Can someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!!

I had the same question several years ago. I liked the Low G sound on some songs, and wondered if it was possible to re-tune a High G to Low G. It did not work. The string was too floppy. My experience showed me that if I wanted a Low G, I had to purchase a set of strings ( or string) that were designed as Low G. I have tried many different kinds of Low G strings sets and always came back to the Aquila's.

Oscar Schmidt OU-4 Tenor low g
Oscar Schmidt OU-6LCE Tenor High G

The Pro Arte J4604 is that the string you would use for the Low G?

The Pro Arte J4604 is that the string you would use for the Low G?

Its the string I used to use. That's the one that is so called "matched" if you have the T46 Trebles. If you have the T45's, get a J4504. Its a silverwound string which is used on the J46 clear nylon and J50 black nylon sets. The T2 trebles can replace the trebles on any of those sets if you like. Personally (and I stated this before) I prefer the J4804 Bronze wound, but I can't find them as a single string anymore so when I run out of my current stash, I'll probably get an Aranjuez 600 (or 700) for the 4th string.

If you haven't gotten into creating your own string sets, the Silverwound will do. Actually, truth be told, if the player doesn't really perform plugged in, I still install the J4604 with the T2's. In fact, depending on the instrument, and the player, I still have a few sets of J46's and J50's that I keep around, but the T2's have pretty much replaced them. In any case, the 4804's make a bigger difference when picking, and performing plugged in, IME.

-Aaron

Last edited:
Thanks for all your info Aaron!
Also Thanks for everyone with their imput.

:0)

Top Bottom