Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kala Ubass

Default Kala Ubass

Does anyone in the UU community own one?
    Bass was my first instrument, and I think combining my favorite two serves as a great invention. Back to my question, do you like it, or was it just a waste of money?
    Wish List
    Kala Ubass
    A Banjolele
    A Concert ukulele
    A Tenor ukulele
    A Makala Dolphin

I played one at a music shop and thought it was kinda cool. The strings are pretty crazy feeling. What I didn't dig was the lack of volume. I thought it was going to have more. You really couldnt do much without an amp, and I don't like having to plug in. They seem pretty much just a novelty to me. One of those big fat mexican basses would be way more fun in my opinion, and there's not much uke-like about it, other than the look.

Really shines when plugged in. Excellent for the price.

Seems some major pros are buying and using Ubass. Sounds great and is very portable. I sure recommend it.

I don't own one, but I've played two in music stores. The strings are really weird feeling but after 10 or 15 minutes I started to get used to them. They have ZERO volume unplugged, but they're not designed for that. But plugged in, they sound really nice. They have something between a normal electric bass sound and an upright sound. I would think the fretless version would be closer to an upright. The big bonus, in my mind, is that they are very compact and lightweight.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1. Those who need closure.

ca. 1923-'27 Martin Style 3M, ca. 1927-'28 Martin Style 2M, 1950s Martin Style 1M, ca. 1930 Gibson Uke 3, Kiwaya KTS-7, Mainland Gloss Mahogany Soprano, Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple Soprano, Mainland Maple Soprano Banjo Uke, Flea Soprano, Maccaferri Islander Soprano and Baritone, et al...
    My paltry Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/ukecycle

I own one and I love it. You can read lots of comments from other U-bass owners on the "bass" forum here on UU. The U-bass does have some unplugged volume, at least enough for practice, playing along with recordings or jamming with an unplugged uke player. I would avoid the fretless version. Due to the strings you don't get any of the cool sounds you would normally get from a fretless bass. It sounds the same basically and it's tricky to play in tune due to the short scale. If you get one make sure the strings are installed correctly with no overlapping windings or you may wind up with a busted tuning machine. The strings usually have to be re-stretched and re-installed.

- Steve

I am also a bass player and checked one out in a music store and I couldn't put it down. All the bass licks I know were a lot easier on the shorter scale. I took to it like a duck to water. Had I not been there to buy my Jazz archtop Kala I would have snapped up that Ubass right there and then. It will likely be next on the list but I have bought a few tenors off the internet from Taiwan that are comparable to all the fancy $900 to $1000 Hawaiian ukes for a mere fraction of the cost so I need to stop buying them and save up for my Ubass. You can never have too many....
    My News is Blues!
    www.dtfbmusic.com
    www.youtube.com/DTFBMusic
    http://musicandjewelry.com

Kala KA-JTE/2TS Jazz archtop electric tenor
    Kala KA-PSS pineapple soprano
    Several custom made tenors and a baritone

I get my large circumference from too much pi.

Own one and play it all the time in my family uke group. We play mostly nursing home/ retirement centers and at church ocassionally. There is a guy over at talkbass.com that plays one in a popular/rock style band so it is a real, gigable,versatile instrument. Not a toy.
    It's a different instrument that takes a bit of getting used to. The strings are rubber so they have a different feel to them. It has enough volume to practice alone with but in group settings you'll need a small amp. I use a Fender Rumble 30 bass combo with great results. Sounds GREAT plugged in. Kind of like a cross between a P bass with flats and an upright. (IMO)
    BUT I always recommend to folks that they go find one and try it first. You might love it but you might not. It took me about 10 seconds after plugging mine into an amp at the music store to know that I had to own it.
    Mainland Red Cedar Tenor
    DS Gill Tenor Pineapple spruce/mahogany
    Goldtone Concert Banjo Uke (BUC)
    Blueridge BR-40T Tenor guitar tuned DGBE
    Kala U-Bass
    Gold Tone CC-OT 5 string banjo
    Come visit "CB's Pickin' Place"

Am I losing my mind, or did I see a solidbody version of this (or something similar) somewhere?

Or was that a dream I had?
    Just loving life. I get to make music for a living because of you people.
    Thank you.

Yes, Kala has made a solid body Ubass. I'm not sure if it's on the market yet but Mike Upton played one on a video on their site to show that it is coming. They are also working on a 5 string version.
    My News is Blues!
    www.dtfbmusic.com
    www.youtube.com/DTFBMusic
    http://musicandjewelry.com

Kala KA-JTE/2TS Jazz archtop electric tenor
    Kala KA-PSS pineapple soprano
    Several custom made tenors and a baritone

I get my large circumference from too much pi.

Thread Information