Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kala Ubass

Quote Originally Posted by the52blues View Post
    They are also working on a 5 string version.
    Which I just played at NAMM last weekend....
    Bruce
    Orcas island Tonewoods
    Download My CDs here.

Quote Originally Posted by Calebcat View Post
    I'm pretty much sold on the idea of playing a Ubass. But, I live nowhere near music stores and the few that are around tend to have guitars and marching band gear. Not even standard electric bass. This may be a stupid question, but what would be a cheap, decent Ubass that I could learn to like. I don't mind too much for aesthetics as much as quality. My price range is $0-$250. Or, just the cheapest you have come across.
    PM me. Mine's for sale. Would be open to negotiations on price.
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

I think it's a nice idea and I wouldn't mind owning one but it falls short on both the acoustic aspect and the price point. I feel that an acoustic instrument should give you the option and being played acoustically along with other acoustic instruments. The sound is not there. It is small and portable but as soon as you figure out the size of the amp you have to carry with it, the point is moot. For that money you could get a nice traditional acoustic bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post
    I think it's a nice idea and I wouldn't mind owning one but it falls short on both the acoustic aspect and the price point. I feel that an acoustic instrument should give you the option and being played acoustically along with other acoustic instruments. The sound is not there. It is small and portable but as soon as you figure out the size of the amp you have to carry with it, the point is moot. For that money you could get a nice traditional acoustic bass.
    Most of the Acoustic Bass Guitars I have played are ALSO not loud enough unplugged to compete with an acoustic guitar without being drowned out. So they have the same problem on that front. I don't own one, but I can think of one major advantage to the UBass, even when you factor in having to carry a large amp. It weighs a heck of a lot less than an electric bass, and when I play bass in a bar or club from 9:00 pm until 1:30 am, NOT having an 11 lb. Fender Jazz Bass hanging from my shoulder sounds kind of appealing.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1. Those who need closure.

ca. 1923-'27 Martin Style 3M, ca. 1927-'28 Martin Style 2M, 1950s Martin Style 1M, ca. 1930 Gibson Uke 3, Kiwaya KTS-7, Mainland Gloss Mahogany Soprano, Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple Soprano, Mainland Maple Soprano Banjo Uke, Flea Soprano, Maccaferri Islander Soprano and Baritone, et al...
    My paltry Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/ukecycle

Same experience with acoustic basses. They need amplification because the string energy is too low to allow much projection. Even a good upright bass is pretty quiet compared with other instruments (bowing imparts more energy to the string, however). Plus the surface area of the Ubass and most acoustic basses is relatively small compared with the wave size of the lower notes.
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

You may be right but i still feel the Ubass is lower than say the Tacoma Thunderchief but that's only my opinion. And of course prices are night and day. But if all you want if lightness just go with an Aria Sinsonido. As a nice novelty it's fine but for the price i still feel there are better options. I'm not saying it's firewood and I'll have one eventually but it's not on the top of my list.

I bought a Ubass and really like it. Great fun. There is enough volume unplugged to practice and sounds very good plugged in. My problem is that my wife has all but taken it over. The short scale and light weight make for a bass she can handle. So if you are married watch out.

Congrats, rlan, Kala makes quality instruments and you will be very happy with yours. It's a great thing for a uker to have a spouse that's a UAS enabler!

I'm still working on a baritone to bass conversion. I am optimistic that it will produce the sound (using the Pahoehoe strings / active peizo) and general ease of playing of a real UBass. The latest snag involves the finish so I'm getting behind schedule. I'll post a build thread with pix when complete.
    Last edited by UkeNukem; 02-17-2011 at 02:58 PM.
    Bob

Thanks Bob,
    I am a lucky man in that my wife loves music. She plays a few different instruments and really enjoys it. I have very little if no complaint when I drag in something new.

I replied earlier, but screwed up and not sure it got posted. Had one for 6 months. the strings were still stretching and this was a nuisance requiring unwinding strings and rewinding with tension to avoid too much wrapping on tuning posts that can lead to broken tuners.

I found the sound was fine with another ukulele or similar instrument, but I did not like the sound with a group including keyboard and guitar. Went back to my Carvin fretless.

I have to say though that I do applaud kala for the creativity. Just not my cup of tea (or bass).

Larry

Thread Information