nyglut vs real gut aquilas

fitncrafty

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I went online to purchase some new strings to have extra sets around, not being able to pick up the uke would be a tragedy....
Anyhow, Have any of you used the real gut as opposed to the nyglut strings? The real gut is more expensive, I really like the nyglut on my ukes..
Mostly just curious, and would like to place an order.
My husband is going to do a custom paint job on a dolphin he purchased and I want the good strings ready when he finishes.

Thanks!

There is a reason genuine gut strings fell out of favor when nylon and other alternatives became available, that being that they are superior in quality, consistency, intonation, durability and price.

These days I think the only people who favor gut strings are those playing historical instruments made when gut actually was the norm.

Honestly, if you are happy with nylguts, I think you'd probably be disappointed with real gut. My understanding is that real gut is fairly low tension, probably not enough to sufficiently power a cheapie like a dolphin.

My advice would be don't waste your money, although I'm curious to hear what other people have to say on the matter.

First of all, I agree with Itsme - no need for gut on the Dolphin. The Nylgut is a great choice (or Southcoast!). As far as the differences - to me the biggest drawback for gut is that being a Louisiana porch player, they go completely sweaty & flabby in humidity. Indoor climate controlled environment only for these strings!

As far as sound, there is a difference. (I should add that I have not tried the new Nylgut formulations) Gut has a quality, that depending on the guages used, can make it sound almost like two different materials - dead as a doornail on the thicker gauges, and bright as flourocarbon on the thin ones. Listen to the Ukulele Ike's solo work, and you can hear how he used the two tones to his advantage (genius!).

Nylgut has that same tendency, but the thin gauges don't get quite as bright as gut, and the thick gauges not as quite as dead. Most people prefer this more even tone, but to get the full "Ike" effect, you'll need the old material.

With tension, always go up one gauge from Nylgut diameters to Gut.

Thanks Itsme and southcoastukes! That was good information, I will stick to the nyglut's for my ukes for now!
I just want to have extra strings around incase I break one or something.

Top Bottom