Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Issues traveling with ukes from mainland to the islands on Hawaiian Airlines?

Default Any Issues traveling with ukes from mainland to the islands on Hawaiian Airlines?

After reading Aldrine's post regarding Hawaiian Airlines "cracking down" on the carry-on items,I'm a little concerned. As a frequent traveler from San Diego to and from Honolulu, I have never had any probs with my ukes. But now, I'm getting a little worried. Any first hand accounts and or traveling experiences on Hawaiian, good or bad. Respond here.....thanks, Howie
    My Ukes: Kamaka Tenor (100th Anniversary Edition) Kamaka Concert, Kanilea K-1 Tenor and Kamaka 6-string. Vintage Martin Tenor 12 fret to body and Martin Tenor 14 fret to body.

I probably should go read Aldrine's post before replying but I have never had a problem bringing a tenor uke inboard a Hawaiian Air flight. The last time I did so was in July. I will be flying them on Tuesday so I will report back after with my experience. I did, however, have a hard time taking my 21" rolling suitcase. They said I had to check it in. So now I just bring the uke and a backpack or small shoulder carryon - I don't even complicate matters with my purse.
    Moore Bettah Kauai Dreams undersea inlay tenor "Hui Nani"
    Moore Bettah slothead offset soundhole tenor "Kula Leo"
    KoAloha KTMS-00 "Lokomaika'i"

Building and Owning a Bettah Ukulele: The story of Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story e-book edition

I'm anxious to hear your report. We are due to go over on the 10th of Nov. Would hate to get to the boarding area and have them tell me I can't take my uke aboard. I'm packing a 6-string Kamaka ! Howie ( have a great trip) ! Don't know whay I posted this topic here instead of uke talk, my apologies.
    Last edited by Howie1947; 10-15-2010 at 04:43 AM.
    My Ukes: Kamaka Tenor (100th Anniversary Edition) Kamaka Concert, Kanilea K-1 Tenor and Kamaka 6-string. Vintage Martin Tenor 12 fret to body and Martin Tenor 14 fret to body.

I have traveled on Hawaiian Air carrying a Kamaka Tenor in a hard case with no problems at all! It was United Air going to the Mainland that gave me a hard time. I too am waiting for wickedwahine's report as I am heading to Hawaii next year!!
    Maui no ka oi !!!!!
    Kamaka HF-3, Vintage 1935 Kamaka Pineapple, Kanile'a Deluxe 6 string Tenor, Kamaka 1996 HF-38, Makala Concert

Maybe someone could post a link to what Aldrine said so we can all read it.....?
    UWC; only those who have not been can rationalize not going.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...nd-the-ukulele

On this thread on page two post number 17 is a PDF of a letter from the FAA explaining exactly what you are allowed regarding carrying musical instruments on board. I carry a copy of this letter when in my uke case when traveling. I have not had any problem in the continental US.

I'd be really surprised if you had any problems....
    Bruce
    Orcas island Tonewoods
    Download My CDs here.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie1947 View Post
    I'm anxious to hear your report. We are due to go over on the 10th of Nov. Would hate to get to the boarding area and have them tell me I can't take my uke aboard. I'm packing a 6-string Kamaka ! Howie ( have a great trip) ! Don't know whay I posted this topic here instead of uke talk, my apologies.
    No worries, I just moved it over to the Uke Talk section of the forum. For those who wanted to see what Aldrine said, check out this thread. http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...t-42mn-into-it

I saw where you listed your measurements in the original thread to Aldrine. My case is about the same - 31" tall, 11" across and about 5" high. It definitely is over the 45" in linear measurements. I figure I'm going to do a number of things: 1) have my spouse hold my uke far away from the baggage counter while I go check in our luggage. That way, I get past the first stop easily. If you are traveling with someone else you may wish to do the same thing. 2) When I sit at the gate for my flight, I probably will sit away from the gate agent so that they don't see the uke either. I do have a tendency to play it while I'm waiting for my flight, and the less attention I draw to me the better. 3) I have a strap attached to my case (I'm wondering if that is how they grabbed Aldrine?) and so I always put it on my back on the shoulder away from the gate agent as I hand them my ticket and head to the jetway. That usually gets me past them as well. 4) Finally, the last check is the flight attendants for the flight. At this point, it is going to be obvious I have a uke, so I'm arming myself with a couple of things...the TSA/FAA regulations that salukalady pointed to, and a printout of their Hawaiian luggage policy. I figure unless they have a measuring tape handy, I can fudge that my dimensions are actually 30x10x5. It is a white lie, but one that will keep me securely attached to my Kamaka.

I've usually engaged in all that, and never once had a problem...on Hawaiian, Southwest, Delta or United. I do know the Hawaiian gate agents can be kind of stingy about carryons but usually that is from people avoiding paying baggage fees. I'm really surprised they hassled Aldrine over his uke.

In the terror inducing event they actually make me check it, by skipping bringing it to the baggage counter agent's attention, at least you won't have to pay for it. If they valet it at the plane, I think that they will do as they do with strollers and so forth...it should be there when you get off at the jetway. In the awful event they actually take it to cargo (in which case I may actually have a panic attack onboard, just ask Ronnie Aloha if I'm obsessed with my Kamaka!) I am going to take it in my Ameritage case. My Kamaka case is a tad bit smaller but it has absolutely no protection. The Ameritage is a tank. At least then it will hopefully not end like the guy from the United flight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
    Moore Bettah Kauai Dreams undersea inlay tenor "Hui Nani"
    Moore Bettah slothead offset soundhole tenor "Kula Leo"
    KoAloha KTMS-00 "Lokomaika'i"

Building and Owning a Bettah Ukulele: The story of Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story e-book edition

The letter clearly states that dimensions are not an issue and you are allowed a carry-on and an instrument, the instrument not being counted as a carry on or personal item.

Quote Originally Posted by salukulady View Post
    The letter clearly states that dimensions are not an issue and you are allowed a carry-on and an instrument, the instrument not being counted as a carry on or personal item.
    This is correct but I believe that the airlines have the final say and it probably states that on the letter. It is the airlines that set the size limit at 45 linear inches. They want MORE money from you, it has nothing to do with the size or what you are carrying on board!!!!!!
    Maui no ka oi !!!!!
    Kamaka HF-3, Vintage 1935 Kamaka Pineapple, Kanile'a Deluxe 6 string Tenor, Kamaka 1996 HF-38, Makala Concert

Thread Information