Pianolele (Brüko)

A.D. Fisha

Reaction score
I just took a flat black Brüko and used a dremel and a knive to make my pianolele:

hvasde.jpg

(Sorry, if this is not the right thread, please move it if you want)

Now that's a uke I'd be proud to play. Can't carry around my piano, but a uke with a piano fretboard - how perfect is that!

I just took a flat black Brüko and used a dremel and a knive to make my pianolele:

Love the looks - details?! What did you actually use the dremel for? Did you rout out the black keys by just removing whatever black "finish" Bruko paints its fretboard with? Or... (I've not seen the black bruko in "person")

The beauty is in the simplicity of it. Love it!

Hi Gmoney,
i took everything away, that didn't look like a piano ;-)
No, seriously: I dremeld the black lacquer from the surface of the fretboard. The neck is made of solid maple.
You look at the original wood.
Try it, it's easy.

Last edited:
Very ingeneous, nicely personalized and very original! I like it!

Love it! Bravo :)

Did you put clear lacquer/varnish on the maple afterwards. Maple fretboards tend to get grubbed up pretty bad if they aren't lacquered.

You could add a 13th fret on the last black key to get another blues note in. Not sure about the 14th, though - you don't want to mess with the neck joint, even if it's just a millimetric cut.

I'm sure you're going to get a lot of enjoyment out of your pianolele. The maple Bruekos normally have a beutiful clear sound - how about yours?

@ all: Thank you!

@ erich: You are right: The pure wood needs a treatment. People around me use special oil. Most of them smell bad
(The oil, not the people!!)...Please excuse my English.
I'm still looking, what is the best for my eyes and nose ;-)
Frets: My playing does not need higher frets, 7 frets are enough for me.
Sound: I have 4 Bruekos, two Custom-Ukes and two ordinaries. They all sound the same: Clear and fine. They are very well made from mostly 'domestic' woods.

OT: Just see your Hometown. I'm from HH too!
Perhaps we can talk in German at the 1.Deutsche Ukulelenclub? There's only one guy with a pianolele. Meet you.

Last edited:
HH, that's great! Glad to meet you. I have an account at the 1DUC too, just have to remember my login..... was it Currywurst or Apfelsine? ;)

Anyway, regarding finishing maple fretboards there are a lot of oils that say they're not suitable for maple, although it's not always clear whether that's because of the maple itself or, more likely, because maple fretboards normally have a finish on them and the oil isn't good on top of a finish.

BTW, we have two Bruekos, a custom cherry/bubinga and a standard mahogany. Both excellent, but with very different characters.

Great idea. Looks classy.

Top Bottom