"Fuzzy" sound?

thegefish

Reaction score
On my second fret E string, I'll get a fuzzy sound coming every so often. I noticed it after I made a switch to Aquila's. Not really sure where it's coming from but it sounds like it's vibrating softly against something. Not really sure though. Can anyone help me out?

I had a simular problem when i plonked some Aquila's on my Oscar Schmidt, it gave my E String like a high pitch whistle sound where it was vibrating against the string aliner at the top of the fret board (sorry not so techincal me)..
I read and now sort of belive that Aquila strings can be slighty thicker than say the standard one that come on ukuleles..
I had to use a fine file, (the misses nail file) and file the gap on the string keeper in line thing at the top of the fret board and make it slightly deeper and wider... Not something that i reccomend doing to heavy handed as you dont want to take to much away..
Well that sorted it out on mine, Hope that helps you..
Check out the action (string height) along the fret board when you fret it and see if you can see anything, or you can try to raise the string slightly by using some thin card and put a small piece under the e string (at the keep it in line part at the top of the fret board) and see if that makes any differnce, i know that, that has worked for some..

Anyways i hope that helps a little.. :)

On my second fret E string, I'll get a fuzzy sound coming every so often. I noticed it after I made a switch to Aquila's. Not really sure where it's coming from but it sounds like it's vibrating softly against something. Not really sure though. Can anyone help me out?

Three thoughts come to mind:
1. If you left a tail on a string at the bridge end, it may be making noise vibrating on the face of the 'uke.
2. If the E string is loose in the nut at the headpiece, it may be buzzing there.
3. If the bridge bone fell out while the strings were off, be sure you repositioned it correctly.

You can rule out #2 by slipping the E-string out of it's nut slot, place a tiny piece of paper or masking tape over the slot, then lower the E-string back down into the slot, trapping the tape under the string.

Last edited:
It might be fret buzz. Stupidly I tried doing the file thing without checking if it was the height making it buzz. Sure enough, when I filed the nut groove buzzing got worse. Tried the card and the buzzing returned to what it was before. Anyone know how to deal with fret buzz an easy and inexpensive way?

I betcha the groove is too big and in the nut......try a peice of paper in the groove as a shim under the string....

It might be fret buzz. Stupidly I tried doing the file thing without checking if it was the height making it buzz. Sure enough, when I filed the nut groove buzzing got worse. Tried the card and the buzzing returned to what it was before. Anyone know how to deal with fret buzz an easy and inexpensive way?

If you're talking about raising the string in it's nut slot, you can use super glue and talcum powder. It's tricky, and the nut should be removed from the 'uke first. (else you risk the runny super glue permanently attaching the nut to the 'uke)
A replacement nut is also an option, and not expensive.

Top Bottom