Thread: My fingers are confused lol

Default My fingers are confused lol

I've been learning to play the ukulele mostly through the internet. Youtube tutorials, ukulele sites, searching chords for a song, etc. It's all been a big help! When I purchased my first ukulele, I also bought Mel Bay Chord book. I've been using that as a reference, as well.

Yesterday, I went to the Music Store and got two books. One is Christmas for the Ukulele, the other is an Alfreds beginners book. The Beginners book is confusing because the chord diagrams are totally different from what I am use to. The fingering for the chords in this book is not the same as the Mel Bay book. For example, the fingering for the G chord is what I usually play for the F chord. The D7 is what I usually play for the C7, I think. I don't have the book in front of me, but I think you get the picture!

I do realize that there is more than one way to play a chord. I've seen it in video tutorials. My questions is, does the fingering matter in the songs that I play? I tried to use the G chord the way I'm not use to for the song "I'm Walking", and to me, it didn't sound right.

Your thoughts and suggestions are helpful, as always! Sorry for the rambling

Sounds like you've got the version of the Alfred's book that's for D tuning (common in Canada). Take a look at how it tells you to tune your ukulele. I bet it's telling you A-D-F#-B instead of G-C-E-A.

So all the fingerings will be a whole step (two frets) off from what those of us using C-tuning are used to.

You can play the songs in the book on your C-tuned uke using the finger positions they tell you and they'll sound fine. They'll just actually be lower than the letter name that goes along with the chord. Or you could just go by the letter name and ignore the finger shape they show you. Either way.

JJ
    Last edited by Ukulele JJ; 10-23-2010 at 06:29 AM.
    "Talent is just a pursued interest. In other words, anything you are willing to practice, you can do." -- Bob Ross

Hi Michele,
    I would recommend returning that book as it is probably for a different tuning then your uke. Standard tuning (which your uke probably is is GCEA) That book is probably for the other I think it is a'd'f#'b') the fingerings are different in different tunings. I made that same mistake when I bought my uke. I am sure you will get it all sorted out.

Carrie

Thanks, JJ and Carrie! I guess I should have paid more attention as I was looking through the book before I bought it (slaps herself on forehead).

Thread Information