Thread: I am replacing the original strings on my new Mele tenor and I have a few Questions.

Question I am replacing the original strings on my new Mele tenor and I have a few Questions.

What are the differences between these sets of strings? How do I know which set to get and why? I don't think my current G is wound, but I don't know its diameter.

Aquila Tenor Regular (All Nylgut) C Set, ATRC $6.11

Aquila Tenor Low Wound G Set, ATLWG $5.13

Aquila Tenor Guitar Tuning Set, ATGT $6.59

I read somewhere that you have to take more care with restringing with the nylgut and make sure the strings set properly in each string notch and stretches out correctly? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

Nix on the guitar strings.
    Check out youtube musicguymic and hear the difference between high G and low G strings.
    Nylgut takes a while to stretch and settle (like many middleaged uke players!) but I don't think that they are more complicated to install.
    cletus

Is your current G the lowest note of the four strings? If so you have a low G set on the uke now. Otherwise you have a High G set (also called re-entrant tuning. ).

If you like the tuning you have (High G or Low G) then get the comparable set. As cletus said, forget the guitar strings.
    Mainland Mango Concert and Red Cedar Soprano, Kala KA-ASKS Soprano, KoAloha Concert, Boat Paddle Tenor, Moore Bettah Tenor, Boat Paddle Mseries Baritone

I use the the Aquila strings exclusively on both my tenors. One is a low g and the other is high G. Because of the use each tenor gets, I replace stings on both monthly. It has been recommended that when re-stinging w/Aquila's you should allow them to stretch over night after stringing. I just put them on, bring them up to pitch then let them set overnight before playing. As mentioned in an earlier posts they do take a couple days to get stretched out so you will re-tuning for a couple days. But, you can simply re-string and start strumming too. There are many posts in UU forums regarding this subject matter. Forget the guitar strings all together.

Oscar Schmidt OU-4 Tenor low g
    Oscar Schmidt OU-6 LCE Tenor high G

I switched from the Aquila Nylgut to a set of from D'Addario. I really like them.
    I play a Nalu Super Concert.

I think it all depends on the sound you're looking for. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by duckandmiss View Post
    What are the differences between these sets of strings? How do I know which set to get and why? I don't think my current G is wound, but I don't know its diameter.

I read somewhere that you have to take more care with restringing with the nylgut and make sure the strings set properly in each string notch and stretches out correctly? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!
    If your current G string isn't wound then you more than likely have a high g set. Mele still uses hilo strings on their stock ukes. You shouldn't have any problem with either the low g or high g set. I ahve put both on my meles and had no issues.

Thumbs up Ok so...

Quote Originally Posted by olgoat52 View Post
    Is your current G the lowest note of the four strings? If so you have a low G set on the uke now. Otherwise you have a High G set (also called re-entrant tuning. ).
    I will have to check what my uke has, now that I know what the lowG/highG fuss is all about. I think it's low G, and I will probably stay the same, I think though that it is currently an unwound string which threw me off since the low G in the aguila set is wound.

But I am still curious about the guitar strings (though I have no intention of purchasing them), are they all wound, or are they just in appropriate width to accommodate a guitar eadg tuning?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ukes not Nukes!
    Letís play a ukelele on a pacific atoll, not obliterate it with a thermonuclear device. Am I right? You know Iím right.

Quote Originally Posted by duckandmiss View Post

Thanks!
    I'd pay attention to your string thickness(guage) and tension....
    guage so you don't have to make adjustments to your nut, but with aquila I think you'll be
    fine and tension for tone, comfort, and playability... Good Luck! MM Stan.
    I'd stick with the top two...for starters, maybe the first one....If you have concerns
    still, contact Mele....theyd be glad to steer you in the right direction....
    Last edited by mm stan; 10-18-2010 at 11:02 AM.

Alright, so currently I have a Hilo Low G set on my tenor... and both the 3rd and 4th String are wound.

I am going to move to the nylgut aguila Low G set then,
    but I believe only the 4th string will be wound.

anyone make this switch before and like the results?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ukes not Nukes!
    Letís play a ukelele on a pacific atoll, not obliterate it with a thermonuclear device. Am I right? You know Iím right.

Thread Information