Picks or no picks ?

Picks or no picks ?

• Total voters
Playing exclusively without a pick wears down my fingernails and interferes with my classical guitar playing. Playing with a plastic pick however is a too harsh. So I cover my lightweight Clayton picks (the ones with the Hula girls) with layers of clear packing tape, trim, and the resulting modification gives a durable pick with a clear sound minus the plastic harshness. Of course the pick will never produce the wonderful textures of playing with the nail and fleshy tips of the fingers. I play with both techniques but mostly with the pick.

Most of the stringed instrument players I know (guitar, uke) who use a pick do so because they have issues with growing their fingernails. I asked one guy how he played arpeggios if he always used a pick, and he said he just didn't.

The best player I watched perform used both a pick and his fingers interchangably. He would lick his picks and stick them to the body of his guitar so that he had several lined up. He would play a passage with his fingers and then grab a pick, use it for a few minutes, then just let it fall to the floor when he started using his fingers again.

A music store employee told me that ukulele players don't use picks when I asked if he had any leather picks. He then used that as an opportunity to pick up a uke and start strumming some tune. I told him I didn't care what ukulele players did, and please tell me whether or not he could sell me them item in question. He got irritated. As usual, I wasn't cool enough so my wallet & I left. He really showed me.

Personally, I don't use a pick because most of what I attempt to play requires both chord and fingerwork. That's probably just another way of saying I'm not talented enough to use both, or quick enough do what I want with a pick.

Most of the stringed instrument players I know (guitar, uke) who use a pick do so because they have issues with growing their fingernails. I asked one guy how he played arpeggios if he always used a pick, and he said he just didn't.

The best player I watched perform used both a pick and his fingers interchangably. He would lick his picks and stick them to the body of his guitar so that he had several lined up. He would play a passage with his fingers and then grab a pick, use it for a few minutes, then just let it fall to the floor when he started using his fingers again.

A music store employee told me that ukulele players don't use picks when I asked if he had any leather picks. He then used that as an opportunity to pick up a uke and start strumming some tune. I told him I didn't care what ukulele players did, and please tell me whether or not he could sell me them item in question. He got irritated. As usual, I wasn't cool enough so my wallet & I left. He really showed me.

Personally, I don't use a pick because most of what I attempt to play requires both chord and fingerwork. That's probably just another way of saying I'm not talented enough to use both, or quick enough do what I want with a pick.

You should watch Pat Metheny play, he likes to play with picks and then throw them away and play with his hands a LOT. I grabbed one off stage when he was here last =)

I really enjoy playing without a pick because i feel like (this may be weird) that since that is the way Hawaiians who made the instrument did it that I should do it that way too.I dunno... I always think like that haha.. Well I played guitar before I switched to the uke and I didn't really have a problem transitioning. Well, I rarely use picks anymore because I now play Slack key guitar, and I've tried using a pick on the uke, but it just doesn't sound right. I think it's cuz for me I can hear the pick hitting the strings and i feel like it takes away from the sound of the instrument.

-Kalyn XD

I really enjoy playing without a pick because i feel like (this may be weird) that since that is the way Hawaiians who made the instrument did it that I should do it that way too.I dunno... I always think like that haha.. Well I played guitar before I switched to the uke and I didn't really have a problem transitioning. Well, I rarely use picks anymore because I now play Slack key guitar, and I've tried using a pick on the uke, but it just doesn't sound right. I think it's cuz for me I can hear the pick hitting the strings and i feel like it takes away from the sound of the instrument.

-Kalyn XD

How much pick or fingernoise you get seems to depend on the type of pickup. I have an misi acoustic trio in my uke and it really picks up sounds if you're not careful, But I've heard some people play where I can't hear a single fingernoise even when they play suuuuper slow.

I fall into the majority of the answers because I don't normally use picks. Even when I played guitar where it is more accepted, I just never felt comfortable doing it. Then once I switched to bass, that's just frowned upon in most circles. (Not all, but most.)

I have tried using picks on the uke when I want to project,a nd it seems to help. I am not completely opposed to them. But... it's not something I normally do.

After nearly three years, I'm still a novice. That said...

I play for myself and can control the volume better with my fingers than a pick. My famiily appreciates that. And when I want to play, it is one less thing I have to find.

My experience is that picks give a much crisper tone and project better. Maybe that's my failings as a finger player at the root. I'm not going to spend too much time on nail care... I do too much yard work, fishing, etc., to worry much about my nails other than just keeping them clean. But I can usually get the sound I want.

I did notice early on that the entire Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain plays with picks except their bass player. So it can't be that taboo.

A year or more back, someone here had an article on their site about home made felt picks. Basically, you can buy craft felt with an adhesive back and place it on both sides of a sheet of rigid plastic (I used a milk jug). Then you cut out the shape you want. The result was a less rigid felt pick that sounded really nice for strumming, didn't click, and didn't affect the wood on the uke. If I wanted a stiffer pick, I'd probably find more rigid plastic packaging of some sort (hey, think of it as recycling). Anyway, it is a pretty cool way to experiment and stay a bit... unique.

I'll add one more thing... When it comes to the uke, seems to me that if you can smile while you are doing it, it's an okay way to play it - that's fingers, picks, straps, decals, wood types, fret markers... No instrument is more about just having fun than a uke.

Last edited:
Top Bottom