136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Picks

15 11.03%
  • No Picks

121 88.97%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Picks or no picks ?

Default Picks or no picks ?

I'm probably beating a but being a long time guitar player I'm kinda at the cross roads. I have some rubber picks, haven"t tried felt yet. Are picks really that taboo in the ukulele community?

Not taboo, mate. Whatever works for you is fine.

I'm a guitar and mandolin abuser myself, so a pick is almost like part of my hand, but never use one for 'ukulele. IMHO it limits the control you have over your tone, limits the techniques available (makes fingerpicking awkward) and, most importantly to me, ruins the lovely tactile experience of playing a uke.

I never use one for bass guitar either, for the same reason. Some instruments just feel so cool under the fingers that it's a shame to put plastic/felt/rubber in the way.

YMMV, and like I said, whatever works is allowed. As far as I am aware there is no enforceable 'ukulele rule book - despite UU having a "rulez" emoticon! LOLz
    And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no,
    And whether the skin be black or white as the snow,
    Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong,
    As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.

My husband, when he plays one of my ukes, uses his guitar pick. It is what he's comfortable with. I haven't really felt the need for picks, and only use them on the banjo (different kind of picks though). Your choice of using a pick or not will influence your playing style a bit, so go with what suits you. If I were to use a pick for the ukulele, I like leather picks, since they make less noise than standard plastic guitar picks, but are louder than felt picks.
    –Lori

From what I've seen, most people that pick up the uke after playing a larger stringed instrument (guitar, banjo, etc.) use a pick usually because it's what they're used to. I personally don't; I like the control and variety I have using my fingers (i.e., strumming with my thumb to have a more drawn out effect). But that's just me, whatever floats your boat.
    Last edited by thatukuleleguy; 10-28-2010 at 06:25 AM. Reason: grammar fail
    Vineyard CK-55 long-neck soprano
    Eleuke 100 Concert
    Johnson Soprano
    Mahalo Soprano
    Lanikai Tenor

You can watch my one uke video here (more to come, hopefully):
    www.youtube.com/thatukuleleguy

I think it is harder to use a pick on a uke. I use one whenever I have a cut on my right index finger. However, I can get a louder sound with pick.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

I have to say I don't use one for uke, but am sure there are some awesome people out there who do use one. Its like any other instrument, sometimes you'll play finger style and sometimes you'll use a pick, the most obvious to skip between each method is guitar where it depends on the song and style.... but people pluck violins... all sorts.
    Sticks of choice:
    Kanile'a K1 Concert - KoAloha DVI - Mainland Concert Mahogany - Ohana CK-75CG - Makala Dolphin

It's what ever works for the player....for me it's no picks!
    Maui no ka oi !!!!!
    Kamaka HF-3, Vintage 1935 Kamaka Pineapple, Kanile'a Deluxe 6 string Tenor, Kamaka 1996 HF-38, Makala Concert

No pick for me. But if it works for you, then cool!!!
    Kanile'a 6 String K-1, Kamaka HF-3, Makala Concert

Thank God the Tiki Bar is open!!!!

Hippie Dribble Guest

Quote Originally Posted by buddhuu View Post
    Not taboo, mate. Whatever works for you is fine.

I'm a guitar and mandolin abuser myself, so a pick is almost like part of my hand, but never use one for 'ukulele. IMHO it limits the control you have over your tone, limits the techniques available (makes fingerpicking awkward) and, most importantly to me, ruins the lovely tactile experience of playing a uke.

I never use one for bass guitar either, for the same reason. Some instruments just feel so cool under the fingers that it's a shame to put plastic/felt/rubber in the way.

YMMV, and like I said, whatever works is allowed. As far as I am aware there is no enforceable 'ukulele rule book - despite UU having a "rulez" emoticon! LOLz
    totally agree with you buddhuu!!! You said it better than I could have. Also a guitar and mandolin player too...mandolin is unplayable without a pick, guitar to a lesser extent but the uke to me was not built to be played with a pick at all for reasons you outlined...

surely it depends on the song - some work better with and some without. I mostly play without, but on some songs, the sound and techniques win me over. Why limit yourself to just one technique when it costs less than 50 pence to be able to do both?
    Makala MK-C concert uke and Clearwater Pineapple Soprano.
    Ashbory De Armond with Pahoehoe strings
    Various Squeeze Boxes

Thread Information