Picks or no picks ?

Picks or no picks ?

• Total voters

stevecarrero

Reaction score
I'm probably beating a :deadhorse: but being a long time guitar player I'm kinda at the cross roads. I have some rubber picks, haven"t tried felt yet. Are picks really that taboo in the ukulele community?

Not taboo, mate. Whatever works for you is fine.

I'm a guitar and mandolin abuser myself, so a pick is almost like part of my hand, but never use one for 'ukulele. IMHO it limits the control you have over your tone, limits the techniques available (makes fingerpicking awkward) and, most importantly to me, ruins the lovely tactile experience of playing a uke.

I never use one for bass guitar either, for the same reason. Some instruments just feel so cool under the fingers that it's a shame to put plastic/felt/rubber in the way.

YMMV, and like I said, whatever works is allowed. As far as I am aware there is no enforceable 'ukulele rule book - despite UU having a "rulez" emoticon! LOLz

My husband, when he plays one of my ukes, uses his guitar pick. It is what he's comfortable with. I haven't really felt the need for picks, and only use them on the banjo (different kind of picks though). Your choice of using a pick or not will influence your playing style a bit, so go with what suits you. If I were to use a pick for the ukulele, I like leather picks, since they make less noise than standard plastic guitar picks, but are louder than felt picks.
–Lori

From what I've seen, most people that pick up the uke after playing a larger stringed instrument (guitar, banjo, etc.) use a pick usually because it's what they're used to. I personally don't; I like the control and variety I have using my fingers (i.e., strumming with my thumb to have a more drawn out effect). But that's just me, whatever floats your boat.

Last edited:
I think it is harder to use a pick on a uke. I use one whenever I have a cut on my right index finger. However, I can get a louder sound with pick.

I have to say I don't use one for uke, but am sure there are some awesome people out there who do use one. Its like any other instrument, sometimes you'll play finger style and sometimes you'll use a pick, the most obvious to skip between each method is guitar where it depends on the song and style.... but people pluck violins... all sorts.

It's what ever works for the player....for me it's no picks!

Not taboo, mate. Whatever works for you is fine.

I'm a guitar and mandolin abuser myself, so a pick is almost like part of my hand, but never use one for 'ukulele. IMHO it limits the control you have over your tone, limits the techniques available (makes fingerpicking awkward) and, most importantly to me, ruins the lovely tactile experience of playing a uke.

I never use one for bass guitar either, for the same reason. Some instruments just feel so cool under the fingers that it's a shame to put plastic/felt/rubber in the way.

YMMV, and like I said, whatever works is allowed. As far as I am aware there is no enforceable 'ukulele rule book - despite UU having a "rulez" emoticon! LOLz

totally agree with you buddhuu!!! You said it better than I could have. Also a guitar and mandolin player too...mandolin is unplayable without a pick, guitar to a lesser extent but the uke to me was not built to be played with a pick at all for reasons you outlined...

surely it depends on the song - some work better with and some without. I mostly play without, but on some songs, the sound and techniques win me over. Why limit yourself to just one technique when it costs less than 50 pence to be able to do both?

Playing ukulele with a pick is like playing bongos with drumsticks:

• It's not illegal or anything, just unusual.
  • It's not really necessary most of the time.
  • It tends to label you as someone who "crossed over" from a slightly similar instrument, but who is either unwilling or unable to adapt to the unique properties of this one (or is unaware of them).
  • It complicates the beautiful simplicity of the thing.
  • While it does enable you to do a few things you otherwise couldn't, it also shuts the door to a variety of defining techniques and sounds that are traditional to the instrument.

All that said, if that's how you want to play it, what the heck... go for it. But it should ideally be because you want to play it that way, not because it's the only way you know.

JJ

Last edited:
each to their own really - I dont mind.

That said, I came to uke after 20 years of guitar WITH a pick. I never once thought about using a pick on a uke, as I didnt think you should. I didnt struggle with change - and frankly prefer using finger - its more impromptu and to my ear, the uke can sound harsh with a pick.

But as I say - do what you feel works - many use picks

yeah that has made me think.

Maybe no picks because of the nylon string thing... you wouldn't really play a spanish or classical guitar with a pick (using it as that style)...

Lots of top players use thumb picks when picking. If you pick like I do its hard to get the same sound from my thumb as my other digits since I can get my nail on the fingers but only brush the side of my thumb when picking.

I've seen some top players too freestyling with lightning speed with finger and thumb picks....but that's not my cup of tea for my playing...
It takes alot of time to master....but what I'm working on now is a picking technique ...up and down with my thumb nail...like what a guitar player
would do with a pick...Yes I know it's like carrying it over between the two instruments style and developing a hybrid style... the more I get
used to it , the easier it becomes....

Maybe no picks because of the nylon string thing... you wouldn't really play a spanish or classical guitar with a pick (using it as that style)...
Yeah, nylon strings don't generally need a pick.

I see picks more for steel-string instruments. I know Clapton and others fingerpick on steel strings, but steel strings aren't exactly kind on your nails.

I don't use picks for ukulele , or guitar.. Thumb picks on the odd occasion but i find it much easier without picks if i'm finger picking/strumming

I go both ways.....(no comments please haha) I tend to play my high G strung ukes without a pick because I am mostly strumming chords but when I play my low G ukes and am playing more melody lines I tend to use a pick which, of course, does make the individual notes you are picking a little louder.

I've tried to give the picks a chance a few times, but it's just not my thing. I feel like I don't have as much control over the sound and IMO it takes away the peaceful sound of the uke. I met a guitar player a few weeks ago who loves to play heavy metal, when he picked up a uke, he used a pick and played some heavy stuff on it haha. I have to admit it was pretty cool, but it's not really my style.

Top Bottom