136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Picks

15 11.03%
  • No Picks

121 88.97%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Picks or no picks ?

Playing ukulele with a pick is like playing bongos with drumsticks:

• It's not illegal or anything, just unusual.
    • It's not really necessary most of the time.
    • It tends to label you as someone who "crossed over" from a slightly similar instrument, but who is either unwilling or unable to adapt to the unique properties of this one (or is unaware of them).
    • It complicates the beautiful simplicity of the thing.
    • While it does enable you to do a few things you otherwise couldn't, it also shuts the door to a variety of defining techniques and sounds that are traditional to the instrument.

All that said, if that's how you want to play it, what the heck... go for it. But it should ideally be because you want to play it that way, not because it's the only way you know.

JJ
    Last edited by Ukulele JJ; 10-28-2010 at 01:36 PM.
    "Talent is just a pursued interest. In other words, anything you are willing to practice, you can do." -- Bob Ross

each to their own really - I dont mind.

That said, I came to uke after 20 years of guitar WITH a pick. I never once thought about using a pick on a uke, as I didnt think you should. I didnt struggle with change - and frankly prefer using finger - its more impromptu and to my ear, the uke can sound harsh with a pick.

But as I say - do what you feel works - many use picks
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Kamaka HF-1, Koaloha KTM-00, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano

No picks here. I come from a background in classical guitar where you use your nails to pluck the strings and that is how I approach the uke as well. Most of my ukin' is fingerpicking, but when I strum, no picks.

yeah that has made me think.

Maybe no picks because of the nylon string thing... you wouldn't really play a spanish or classical guitar with a pick (using it as that style)...
    Sticks of choice:
    Kanile'a K1 Concert - KoAloha DVI - Mainland Concert Mahogany - Ohana CK-75CG - Makala Dolphin

Lots of top players use thumb picks when picking. If you pick like I do its hard to get the same sound from my thumb as my other digits since I can get my nail on the fingers but only brush the side of my thumb when picking.
    Aloha,
    Ronnie

I've seen some top players too freestyling with lightning speed with finger and thumb picks....but that's not my cup of tea for my playing...
    It takes alot of time to master....but what I'm working on now is a picking technique ...up and down with my thumb nail...like what a guitar player
    would do with a pick...Yes I know it's like carrying it over between the two instruments style and developing a hybrid style... the more I get
    used to it , the easier it becomes....

Quote Originally Posted by casarole45 View Post
    Maybe no picks because of the nylon string thing... you wouldn't really play a spanish or classical guitar with a pick (using it as that style)...
    Yeah, nylon strings don't generally need a pick.

I see picks more for steel-string instruments. I know Clapton and others fingerpick on steel strings, but steel strings aren't exactly kind on your nails.

I don't use picks for ukulele , or guitar.. Thumb picks on the odd occasion but i find it much easier without picks if i'm finger picking/strumming

I go both ways.....(no comments please haha) I tend to play my high G strung ukes without a pick because I am mostly strumming chords but when I play my low G ukes and am playing more melody lines I tend to use a pick which, of course, does make the individual notes you are picking a little louder.
    My News is Blues!
    www.dtfbmusic.com
    www.youtube.com/DTFBMusic
    http://musicandjewelry.com

Kala KA-JTE/2TS Jazz archtop electric tenor
    Kala KA-PSS pineapple soprano
    Several custom made tenors and a baritone

I get my large circumference from too much pi.

I've tried to give the picks a chance a few times, but it's just not my thing. I feel like I don't have as much control over the sound and IMO it takes away the peaceful sound of the uke. I met a guitar player a few weeks ago who loves to play heavy metal, when he picked up a uke, he used a pick and played some heavy stuff on it haha. I have to admit it was pretty cool, but it's not really my style.

Thread Information