Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Picks

15 11.03%
  • No Picks

121 88.97%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Picks or no picks ?

I've never used a pick with an ukulele… Not sur i'm willing to try…
    Koaloha KSM00 - Busker Flea Resonator - Kala Thin Line Tenor - Mahalo ULP1EVS
    http://www.ukuholic.com

No picks for me, but if it works for you and you love the sound...that's cool!!!!

No picks for me, I like to feel the strings.

But I'm also with the vast majority, whatever floats your boat!

I use picks when playing with my amp or playing a really tempo song. other than that, i always just use my fingers

For me it depends on the uke. I lean towards playing my 6 string tenors more than anything and while I am 90% fingers, if I need to boost the sound while playing in a mix of guitars... I use a Fender "thin" .60mm model 351. It does not take an aggressive attack to get what need with a pick.

BTW... the Poll should have a 'sometimes" or "what percentage of time used" for the pick option.

d.

There is no option for "other" I use both. More often I just use my nails for convenience sake, but sometimes I like to use a pick.
    My YouTube Channel
    Ukulele + Guilele Fretboard Note Chart!
    Ohana TK-35G - "Lamia" - Fremont Blacklines
    Kala Acacia Tenor - "Harry" - Fremont Blackline Low G
    KoAloha D-VI - "Kubrick"
    Cordoba Guilele CE
    Gretsch G9126 Guitar-Ukulele

i've had my uke for about 4 months now and i've tried to play without a pick but it seems impossible! i don't know if i'm playing with the wrong technique or what but it just feels so weird.. i was scared that using picks with ukes is a bad thing but based on the previous comments in this thread its good to know that true ukers are fine with people who use picks too

I totally agree with Buddhuu, whatever works for you is fine. I felt like I probably "shouldn't" use picks because they weren't popular. Then I got fed up and tired of my nail wearing at an angle. I bought about five different picks and tried them. My favorite is the .38mm Jim Dunlop nylon. It sounded closest to what my fingernail sounded like and had the least "background" noise. The felt pick (they only had one at the store) was large, off-white, and sounded like crap. The thumb pick was too stiff and had too much background noise(this sounds like the Goldielocks and the three bears story...). The other nylons were just thicker and made it louder.

My advise, buy a few, try them, and make up your own mind.
    This forum is awesome, the responses on here are great. I like how everyone has such an open mind.
    Lehua Classic Tenor

I've tried picks, the rubber ones and .38mm guitar picks, but neither felt really comfortable, I was holding them too tightly in fear they would drop into the hole, and that would be disastrous, wouldn't it!
    Kala KA-FMC Flame Maple (Concert) AZZA
    Eleuke TCJ100-SUHP Sunburst Jazz Cutaway (Tenor) TJ

http://ytmusicreviews.tumblr.com (Songs and Albums Reviewed!)

Haven't tried picks 'cause they don't feel natural to me, so my vote is for fiiingeeers

Thread Information