Specific uke strap

ukelly

Reaction score
I have seen some generic posts in here, but I was hoping that someone could specifically mention a brand name for a uke strap that I could buy. I do not have a strap knob (or whatever the official title is), so it would need to hook into the sound hole. Anyone have one that they like?

Uke Leash....not that I've actually used one, but they don't require a strap pin, and get rave reviews.

Member Lori here makes and sells the Ukeleash.com just use the search on the top right...Uke leash, or Lori...

Uke Leash is the way to go. Inexpensive, easy to figure out, versatile.

http://ukeleash.com/

I second that. Personally I've tried Uke thongs and I feel they put too much pressure on the edge of the sound hole. I prefer the Ukeleash.

Shoelace

dude just use a shoelace

Radio Shack, et. al. sell cable-tie anchors, a self-adhesive ~1" square plastic stick-on. My 'ukes have one of these stuck to the base, where the strap button would be. The shoelace goes thru this. The other end is tied to the headstock.

Here's an example:

http://www.amazon.com/JT-Products-4735H-Adhesive-Strength/dp/B002UZZU0S

~$3.50 for a pack of 10.

I used to tie a popsickle stick onto the end of the string and put it inside the sound hole (it works), but this is easier.

Last edited:
Uke thong for me. I saw Jake twice last week and he was using a uke thong. He's sorta an ukulele God to me. If he uses one I figure it's not all bad. I was surprised that he was using one though.

I am loving the Uke Thong, but also love the Kiwaya strap, which is similar to it in that they have a little hook that goes in the soundhole and attaced to a chord or strap around your neck. Not as sturdy as the leash, but it really does help and puts no strain on the neck!

http://cgi.ebay.com/UKULELE-STRAP-U...577?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a602ce6d1

I'm going to do a video review of both this weekend. By the way, I am not the seller of the Uke Thong so this is just an honest opinion of what I have tried. Mike

+1 - see my other post on this. I'm not sure why it works, but it does. The Kiwaya one with the beads is nice, too, seems a little more professional, however the hook is not as low profile as it is on the Thong and, thus, can get in the way of agressive strumming. Mike

I researched all kinds of straps last year, when I knew I wanted a ukulele strap. Although the hook system has been around awhile, and many people like it, I didn't like the concept of the sound hole hook for 5 reasons:
1. It puts pressure on the thinnest part of your ukulele (possibly causing a crack), and could, with repeated uses mar the finish at the sound hole.
2. It restricts the movement of your sound board. Maybe not a problem if you're plugged into an amp.
3. Looks ugly. Why take a beautiful uke and add an ugly hook and strap to it's face?
4. Not secure... if you accidently let go or drop the uke... it may barrel roll off the hook and fall to the floor. If it does hold on, it just gave your nice delicate soundboard a nasty tug.
5. I don't like having weight slung around my neck.

My initial solution was to get a strap button installed and used a mandolin strap. That works great. If you don't want a strap button drilled into your Uke, I created the Uke Leash. I don't like the idea of having to glue things onto my precious ukuleles, and I was always nervous when I had the strap button drilling procedure done for fear of accidental damage by improper installation. Some ukulele warranties are voided by that kind of alteration, so be aware of that.

Just my two cents.
–Lori

I researched all kinds of straps last year, when I knew I wanted a ukulele strap. Although the hook system has been around awhile, and many people like it, I didn't like the concept of the sound hole hook for 5 reasons:
1. It puts pressure on the thinnest part of your ukulele (possibly causing a crack), and could, with repeated uses mar the finish at the sound hole.
2. It restricts the movement of your sound board. Maybe not a problem if you're plugged into an amp.
3. Looks ugly. Why take a beautiful uke and add an ugly hook and strap to it's face?
4. Not secure... if you accidently let go or drop the uke... it may barrel roll off the hook and fall to the floor. If it does hold on, it just gave your nice delicate soundboard a nasty tug.
5. I don't like having weight slung around my neck.

You raise some good points, concerns I also had. I'm not so sure about it looking ugly, as the Kiwaya one with the beads is beautiful, however your other points are well taken. You do have to still put pressure on the uke to keep it from rolling away, just not as much as with no strap, and I think the people who play without a strap find the thongs or whatever - let us call them the classical guitar style straps - to be the least obtrusive. But you make a wonderul product that is good looking and has been well recieved and I will probably order one to give it a try!

I've just drilled the bottom of my uke and installed an ebony endpin, which works great with my smallest guitar strap. The other end is tied on to the headstock with a home made friendship band style woven band. Looks good, sounds good and lets me get over my large belly! No real need to avoid this method - completely painless (but did it with a fairly cheap uke).

I've just drilled the bottom of my uke and installed an ebony endpin, which works great with my smallest guitar strap. The other end is tied on to the headstock with a home made friendship band style woven band. Looks good, sounds good and lets me get over my large belly! No real need to avoid this method - completely painless (but did it with a fairly cheap uke).

Got that big belly problem myself! But I'm working on it.

Just posted my review of the Uke Thong and the Kiwaya Uke specific straps; may be of help seeing them in action:

Top Bottom