Quick & dirty travel uke

dave g

Reaction score
So I'm going on vacation week after next (honeymoon, actually :)) and realized that I don't have a travel uke to take with. I really need to have this thing completed by about Wednesday the 10th, so I'm just raiding the scrap bin:

qdtu1.jpg

It's going to be entirely fir, I think. Sopranino. Got about half an hour in it as pictured. Kinda fun, actually :)

Beautiful piece of fir and a great looking design. Can't wait to hear it.

Aloha Dave,
That Awesome....Wow....too bad the bottom was connected, making it one piece..what a cutout...I hope you
will provide us with more pic of your progress...BTW, Hey Congrats Man!! Have fun on the Honeymoon...for sure..
Thanks for sharing....MM Stan...

Dave, you are a very creative and talented guy in both concept and execution. Cool travel uke and a big congrats on the honeymoon.
Be sure to post more progress pics and perhaps a sound bite or two....... of the uke that is...

Thanks, everybody :)

I splurged and went with a koa back:

qdtr2.JPG

The top is glued on now - should be able to trim the top & back late this afternoon and make the fretboard.

This looks like a really cool intrument, I would love it as a travel uke, really want to see the finished product!

So I'm going on vacation week after next (honeymoon, actually :)) and realized that I don't have a travel uke to take with.
Congrats on your upcoming nuptials!

So, while your bride-to-be is undoubtedly fretting over last-time details for the wedding and reception, you're busy making a travel uke to take on your honeymoon. Hey, a man's gotta have his priorities, ya know? :p

The "Honeymoon Uke" Congratulations and enjoy it all!

OH yeah, I was so into that uke I forgot to congratulate ya. Congratulations Dave!

Last edited:
Congrats! I would love to try this type of project so any more info and pics woud be great.

What's a "Honeymoon":confused:.....Mrs Timbuck said I had one a long time ago.. I can't remember much about it...She described it to me:stop:..it all sounded a bit messy and I still can't remember who was there with me.:(:(

Last edited:
Thanks again, everybody! Done on schedule:

imag0005.jpg

imag0009.jpg

I'm guessing I've got perhaps 3 hours in it total :)

Plays pretty good, considering! I'm happy with it anyway (but certainly would not hold it out as an example of my building skills :)).

It turns out to be my first uke with a radiused fret board; a year or so ago I did some experimenting with a jig to sand the radius, and did a couple samples in 11" scale for some reason. So rather than make a new one I just grabbed one of those dusty sample pieces and used it. I've been intending to make a rolling mill to curve the wire but haven't gotten around to it yet - on this one I just bent it by hand.

It will fit in a carry-on bag - that's the important thing!

Top Bottom