ever see a Kamaka HP1-L long neck pineapple?

Or to be exact - $915 out the door, including shipping and a hardshell case :)

I'm still tempted, but am holding off for now.

Or to be exact - $915 out the door, including shipping and a hardshell case :)

Wow, that's not bad at all. Thanks for the info!
I'll be interested to see how long you will hold off.

Is there anything I can do to speed the process for you????? he he.....

Got a crystal ball?? There's a bit of uncertainty in my life that needs to settle down before I decide if spending money is the smart thing to do right now.

Giving my old post a little bump in case anybody has any more words of wisdom to add on this. After surveying uke shops all over Oahu, and asking at the Kamaka factory, it seems like it's impossible to try one of these is person - the only way to get one is to place a special order.

While at the Kamaka factory, I fell in love with a little soprano pineapple. Except I don't really like playing sopranos. I am so, so close to pulling the trigger on the concert-neck pineapple... But I hate the "unknown" factor.

When I first posted this, I did get a couple PMs re: intonation issues and other problems with the concert neck pineapple, so that adds to my hesitation. But - I still think I want one :)

Giving my old post a little bump in case anybody has any more words of wisdom to add on this. After surveying uke shops all over Oahu, and asking at the Kamaka factory, it seems like it's impossible to try one of these is person - the only way to get one is to place a special order.

While at the Kamaka factory, I fell in love with a little soprano pineapple. Except I don't really like playing sopranos. I am so, so close to pulling the trigger on the concert-neck pineapple... But I hate the "unknown" factor.

When I first posted this, I did get a couple PMs re: intonation issues and other problems with the concert neck pineapple, so that adds to my hesitation. But - I still think I want one :)

Let me see if I've got this all straight... you love Kamakas, especially concerts. You also love pineapples, but you don't really care for sopranos. So, along comes a concert neck pineapple... seems like a no brainer to me ;)

Let me see if I've got this all straight... you love Kamakas, especially concerts. You also love pineapples, but you don't really care for sopranos. So, along comes a concert neck pineapple... seems like a no brainer to me ;)

Simple, right? :)

Except the intonation-issues thing is kind of a red flag, so I suppose the smart thing to do is to try to get a bit more info. And then order the darned thing anyway!

It's a Kamaka! :) I bought the pineapple strum unheard, and, as predicted--fabulous. If you think the concert neck would work, you are gonna love the sound out of the body-- I know you will and you know it too, in that Kamaka heart of yours!

If you think the concert neck would work, you are gonna love the sound out of the body-- I know you will and you know it too, in that Kamaka heart of yours!

And therein lies the problem - I've heard some not-great things about the concert neck on the pineapple body.

I really, really loved the sound that came out of the standard pineapple I played at the factory (even with the factory strings, which I usually hate!) but I know myself too well - I play my concert ukes much more than I do my sopranos.

And therein lies the problem - I've heard some not-great things about the concert neck on the pineapple body.

I really, really loved the sound that came out of the standard pineapple I played at the factory (even with the factory strings, which I usually hate!) but I know myself too well - I play my concert ukes much more than I do my sopranos.

Ah. Then the answer is simple. You simply must have a standard pineapple!

That's what I keep thinking too. It's a known quantity - what's not to love??

I agree. I've actually never played a concert scale, but I love my soprano... If it had a few more frets I'd love it even more. So I can see a Kamaka pineapple being quite enjoyable, especially if you love the sound enough to want to play it ^.^

Top Bottom