How long and how many?

Two & a half years, & the same amount as I had the last time I counted them. :D

Since finding & getting my two long neck concerts, I now have what I had been looking for all along, so my UAS has ended..........now I need to learn to play them. ;)

1 year .......5 ukuleles. Several more have come & gone during that year, but these 5 are keepers.

2 years playing uke. 4 ukes, but I basically play only 3 of them.

#1 ... The concert size Lanikai TunaUke, all solid spalted mango, which was my starter uke, sits mostly unused. Its a stunning beauty, an older/discontinued model that was formally from the top of their build range, it plays very well, set up is perfect for me. It is balanced pretty well but a bit heavy; I blame some of that weight on the factory installed pick-up, Fishman pre-amp & battery weight. I don't regret buying it or owning it, I just rarely take it out of the case. I'd sell it if someone wanted it, not that I'm looking to sell it, but...

#2 ... I love playing my Romero Creations flamed & spalted solid mango Tiny Tenor, the sound is so rich, loud and full and wonderful. Its probably my favorite.

#3 ... My aNueNue Custom Maui Mango III is a wonderful solid tone wood clear grain mango tenor, plays beautifully and sounds very nice, a brighter punchier tone than the Tiny Tenor, and a little quieter too. Love this one too. It is beautiful in every way.

#4 ... The Magic Fluke concert size Fluke that stands next to my easy chair probably, by default, gets played the most. It is never in a case, regardless of season, so it is always handy and close by, gets picked up at random, strummed, and put back down, just because it is always there waiting to be played.

At this point I really don't covet to many other instruments. I'd love a Kala Elite Parquetry, but there is no logical reason for that love, its just different and I think it would be nice to have. Might by a Romero Creations The Replica at some point, they make an all solid cedar top with solid mahogany back & side model that looks nice and I don't have a cedar/mahogany uke ... but I might be just as happy with a Cordoba 32T, which is also all solid, also designed by Pepe Romero Jr, and is cedar over rosewood and can be found at 1/2 the price. I wouldn't buy both, but I'd consider either a nice addition. The OUTDOOR UKULELES tenors also interest me, not for their sound, but just to have one that I can leave out at the pool house and not worry about. My dream ukulele is an aNueNue Moon Bird tenor. Some day. Some day.

Last edited:
A little over three years. I have five instruments: for re-entrant playing a kamaka long neck tenor, for linear playing a Rob Collins long neck tenor (arriving next month or thereabouts), a Kala baritone and a tenor guitar both with Chicago tunings, and a four string cigar box guitar tuned to open D7.

edit: I forgot that I also have a clear polycarbonate soprano. I think the brand is Waterman. It is obviously an outdoor uke but I never play it because I don't like the way it sounds: it sounds off to me, especially the G major chord, but when I use the tuner, it says it is playing GCEA.

Last edited:
6 months here. 1 soprano (Kala KA-15S)

I was also seduced by the dark side, and ordered a Yamaha GL-1 guitelele. But there is definitely a nice solid wood concert uke in my future.

Four years two months into it, I've bought three ukuleles and won two Watermans. I gave the Watermans away.

I've been playing ukulele on and off (mostly off) for 13 years or so since I bought an inexpensive solid hog concert from Music Guy Mike off of Ebay. I still have that uke, and a 1920s 17 fret tenor banjo I play as a uke, set up with nylgut strings. In the past month or so I've set aside my guitars in favor of ukuleles and quickly acquired 3 more ukes: two tenors and my first soprano. I'm at the stage now where I'm thinking how many ukes I could get with the funds from selling just one of my guitars.

Playing for 3 years, been through 6 ukuleles, of which I still have 4.
I might buy more...

I've been play for about a year and currently have two ukes with a third one coming in tomorrow.

I started playing in 2014. With in the first year I got into buying and trying, mostly used, to figure out what I liked. Sold off many that were just not for me.
Currently have:

* 5 - Tenors, with another LfdM being built
* 4 - Baritones
* 2 - Super Concerts
* 2 - Concerts
* 2- Super Sopranos, with a Fred Shields pineapple being built
* 2 - sopranos.

I always say I am a tenor and baritone guy, but I seem to have a bunch of "others"
Counting the two being built that totals 19. That is enough.........for now:eek:

Last edited:
Since September 2015.
I don't remember how many and what I have anymore.
I just need ONE MORE then I am done buying.

That's like an alcoholic saying "just one more then I will stop".

Heck you can't even count them up........sure sign of denial.......no I don't have a problem, REALLY

Maybe we need to change this forum to Ukuleles Anonymous. The first step is admitting the problem. I have been playing since Christmas 2016, and have 8 ukuleles. I would love to have one of each of the K brands; I am getting close to that goal. Then I will be done. Happy uking!

After playing guitar for almost 50 years, I took up the uke 5 years ago. In the 1st year I accumulated 16 ukes, at the end of the year I decided to only keep the ones that played best, so I culled them down to 4. In the last 4 years I've added 4 more. My humidified shelf display case can only fit 8 so if I get a new uke, I get rid of another, as happened recently.

I saw a paddle uke on eBay by my custom builder Bruce Wei that has the Hawaiian islands as sound holes, but I already had a standard style with island sound holes he made me. I liked the paddle version better so I bought it and ended up raffling the other to my 60 person uke group and donated the proceeds ($640) to The Ukulele Kids Club for 26 ukes that we give away to kids in UCLA/Mattel Children's Hospital when a few of us go there regularly to play for the kids.

BTW, I haven't touched my 4 guitars since I started playing ukulele.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

One year, six ukuleles. Not too bad, but for a while there I was buying a new one every month. One more custom build on the way and then I'm going to spend a few months (years?) deciding how to pare it down. I don't anticipate shopping for a while, but if I see something nice at a reasonable price, who konws?

Since February 2013, with breaks. I bought quite a few ukuleles and sold the more expensive ones (Barron River, KoAloha, Kanile'a, aNueNue Moonbird) over time due to not really playing them and feeling I had too many). I kept these:

Three sopranos (1920s Washburn, Black Bear, Famous FS-5G)
One concert (Stagg)
One tenor (ukuMele/KPK)
One baritone (Pono RBSHS-PC that I bought back after selling it)
One banjolele (Deering)

Might sell one or two of those if I decide to focus on baritones, though I feel comfortable with a small collection like this (would like to keep it at 7 or below for sure).

Top Bottom