Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High-d strings for baritone?

Default High-d strings for baritone?

Any recommendations for high-D strings for a baritone uke? I don't recall seeing any sets fort this, but if there are any, I'd appreciate some names.

Can I use a string from a set of classical guitar strings for the high-D? I assume this would be a second E string just tuned a whole note lower?
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

Default Southcoast Heavy Gauge Ukulele Strings

Dirk Wormhoudt

email: sales@southcoastukes.com

Thanks.
    I see you have the 20" scale (baritone) as a G tuning. By that do you mean DGBE or GCEA? I'm looking for re-entrant dGBE.

Not sure why I can't use a set of guitar strings with an extra E string simply tuned a step lower, though...
    Ian
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

Sounds interesting.... if you us the re-enterant tuning on the baritone please post a sound clip.

Actually, the Pono baritone I bought from another UUer fairly recently came re-entrant-D. I like it a lot, more, I think, than standard low-D. That's one of the reasons I want to restring the Beansprout I just got. I have a vintage Lyra wih the low-D already. I am not sure how the Pono owner strung his, though, and am looking for advice form anyone who has done it and can advise on the type of strings to use. Failing that, I will experiment...
    Ian
    Seneca the Younger

Yes, the key of G is D G BE, the 3rd string is the "key". G C EA, for example, is the key of C. For reference, take a look at the table on our "Tunings" page.

http://www.southcoastukes.com/string...es/tunings.htm

As far as guitar strings, you might pull it off if you use a very heavy set. Remember that a Baritone Uke scale is almost 6" shorter than a guitar. What feels right on one will feel and sound much different on the other. For an example only slightly more extreme, you wouldn't expect to take your standard baritone strings and put them on a concert or soprano, and still get good tension in the key of G.

I think you would find our set a lot more satisfactory, as it was designed for that purpose.

What we call a high re-entrant G tuning works out very nicely on a baritone, if it is not built too heavily.

Papi, we have a brief sound sample on our Baritone page:

http://www.southcoastukes.com/index_files/bariuke.htm
    Last edited by southcoastukes; 11-11-2010 at 05:15 AM.
    Dirk Wormhoudt

Thanks, I figured it out when I read the other page. I always ask what tuning people mean because although you and I say C tuning others say G tuning for the same pitch, because they read G as the first note. Always good to confirm. I linked your tuning page on my own, because it has good information on it.

Anyway, I have a set of baritone strings, but want to change the wound fourth for a re-entrant high D. I assume that would just be a standard first/E string dropped a tone. Should not be too floppy - I dropped tones on guitars for open tunings without any problem. I expect to order your set anyway, but it won't arrive this weekend when I plan to restring the uke.

On using guitar strings: you shouldn't need a very heavy set. The shorter length of the scale should mean less tension on the strings, so it strikes me a lighter set should work quite well. I think what I have on the Pono now is a set of D'Addario guitar strings, and my local music store owner says that's what he uses for baritone ukes. Besides, what I think of as light and heavy are based on steel strings, which are much thinner than nylon.
    Ian
    Seneca the Younger

Hello again,

On the guitar strings, you've got the 1st part of the equation right. The shorter scale means that guitar strings will have less tension - will be too loose when tuned to the same key. You flipped on the 2nd part, though. What you'll need to get the tension back up are heavier strings. Lighter strings would make things even worse.

If you want a quick fix for the weekend, and have some guitar sets around, try a guitar 2nd string in your 4th position. Leave your other baritone strings as they are. May not be ideal, but should let you play around, and again, the guitar 1st wouldn't give enough tension.
    Dirk Wormhoudt

Anyway, I have a set of baritone strings, but want to change the wound fourth for a re-entrant high D. I assume that would just be a standard first/E string dropped a tone. Should not be too floppy - I dropped tones on guitars for open tunings without any problem. I expect to order your set anyway, but it won't arrive this weekend when I plan to restring the uke.
    You're forgetting the baritone length is shorter than a guitar. Try the 2nd B guitar string, it should be just right. My guitar's 3rd fret scale measures 21 1/4", close to the baritone's 22". A B string at the 3rd fret is D. But you may want a light gauge B string because a baritone is usually built lighter than a guitar.

I have re-entrant on my baritone and I believe my D string is 60lb test.

I will try the B string, thanks.
    Ian
    Seneca the Younger

Thread Information