Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High-d strings for baritone?

Ian- I have some florocarbon high d baritone sets. Want me to send you one?
    A

I tried dGBE tuning on a tenor with normal gCEA strings it worked well with aquilas and I would image it works better with worth bt because they have a higher tension
    soprano: anna smudge a Makala pineapple (loaned out to a friend), Nyx an old Bruko no.6, old 97 a home made cigar box resonator
    concert: Iris Kanilea K-1 satin finish
    tenor: artemis a Kala flame maple tenor (low G), Jekyll a Harley Benton Sunburst Cutaway Jazz model Eleuke (high G), Pan an odd sort of tenor scale sideport only uke with a banjo bridge and tailpiece made from zebrawood and alpine spruce

MUST HAVE A BARITONE :3

Quote Originally Posted by aaronckeim View Post
    Ian- I have some florocarbon high d baritone sets. Want me to send you one?
    A
    Just going back over posts and saw your offer. If it's still open, I'll accept a set, with thanks. What I really need is an unwound set (all four strings) if one is available. Can't find anything like that locally - D'Addario and Martins are all I can get at the local music store.
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

I converted a 1/2 sized (22" Scale) 6 String Classical Guitar into a Nylon Stringed Tenor Guitar tuned DD-G-B-EE by Shaping and Grooving a blank Nut into a 'DD-G-B-EE' format. I drilled 2 extra holes in the Bridge to Match the Nut Grooves. I've strung it with Classical Guitar Strings (DD-G-B-EE).

Red TG 3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chock; 08-23-2019 at 04:07 PM. Reason: added text

Living Waters makes a high D set. I currently have them on my Kala Cedar Top bari.
    Kamaka (S) Gold Label, Bonanza (C) Cherry Oreo, Pono (T) mahogany, KoAloha (T), Kala (B) Cedar top/Mahog laminate.

The 2nd "B" string of classical guitar strings would work too

Thanks for the Heads Up. I have now just bought a Set of 'Living Water' Baritone Re-Entry Strings Direct from Ken Middleton's Website... for my Baritone Ukulele.
    http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/living-water-strings/
    Last edited by Chock; 08-23-2019 at 04:09 PM.

1/2 size 6 String (22" Scale) Classical Guitars can cost as little as £30. I bought a New Blank Nut which I Shaped and cut String Grooves into in a DD-G-B-EE pattern after first marking the Center of the Nut, then Marking 5mm either side of the Nut Center Mark which then would be where I cut the grooves for String 3 (B) and String 4 (G) and mark for the other Strings working outwards. Once the Nut Grooves were Cut then I removed the Saddle and carefully drilled another 2mm D-Hole and another 2mm E Hole in the Bridge to match the DD-G-B-EE Spacing of the Nut Grooves. I lowered the Action by shaving the Nut and Saddle Bases. That's all it took really to end up with a 6 String 'Tenor' Guitar tuned DD-G-B-EE. If the 1/2 sized Classical Guitar has a High Action (and many of them do) then remove the Nut and Shave off the evenly spaced 6 String Grooves and Cut new ones to whichever doubled up Pattern you want. Lower the Saddle too as 1mm off the Nut and 1mm off the Saddle = 1mm Action reduction at the 12th Fret which is usually the halfway point of Scale. 1mm off the Nut and Nothing off the Saddle = 0.5mm Action Reduction at the 12th Fret and Vice-Versa. The middle 4 holes (2-3-4-5) should be used for the E-B-G-D strings. The extra E Hole should be drilled halfway between the existing Holes of 1 and 2. The extra D Hole should be drilled halfway between the existing of Holes 5 and 6. That leaves the existing holes 1 and 6 unused. The 3x Spacing's between Strings 2 and 3, 3 and 4, 4 and 5 should be 1 cm. The Outer String Grooves 1 and 6 should be 3mm away from String Grooves 2 and 5. That will leave the outer Strings 2mm away from the Edges of the Nut. The actual String Width Spread between String 1 and String 6 will be approximately 36mm at the Nut and 40mm at the Saddle.

These 3 x Classical Guitar String Sets Pack cost £7 which is a good deal as each pack has an extra High E String in each String Set...
    https://www.djmmusic.com/p-22668-tig...ring-sets.aspx
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chock; 09-11-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Thread Information