new bicycle

bazmaz

Reaction score
Very excited - just placed my order for one of these and I just had to share!

attachment.php

Its a Pashley Roadster Sovereign, handmade in the UK. I think it suits a uke player perfectly (plus I can bungee strap my uke case to the rear rack)

Fellow at the Taunton Uke club (Nipper) has one too and did a video about it here

http://gotaukulele.blogspot.com/2010/11/ukulele-plus-classic-bicycles.html

I really cannot wait (3-6 week build time)

Thanks - my days of throwing a mountain bike down hills are ebbing away - bad back too - these are an altogether more sedate experience. Built like a tank!

Dang, that's a nice bike! I'm *almost* wanting to contact their US distributor to find out what kind of crazy price they put on it.

Its not my vid - its a bloke called Nipper from the Taunton Uke club in the UK (TUSC).

I presume he mounted it with a clip - I have a pocket vid cam that I can do that with.

The bike is beautiful - totally handmade - in one of the last remaining two bicycle makers left in the UK. Its battleship in size but supremely comfortable (28" wheels and a £100 Brooks leather saddle help with that). Hub gears, hub drum brakes.

I cant wait!

You dont wanna know the price.... To add to my woe on that front, I bought the wife one too (ladies model with basket on front)

That is a gorgeous bike and a fantastic video. I couldn't help but think of the Monty Python episode where Michael Palin is on a cycling tour of North Cornwall... "my pants leg caught in my pump, badly crushing my sandwiches"... I have too many bicycles: Trek 520 Touring rig, a faster Trek road bike, a Gary Fisher mountain bike, a Terratrike recumbent tricycle, and the front half of a Burley Duet tandem (my wife owns the back half, so the bike is, in fact, whole!)... but I have always loved the look of those classic old English bikes, and would someday like to have one. I DO have Brooks saddles on all my bikes (except the recumbent), so at least I have that going for me, lol.
Also, those Carradice-type bags are fantastic. I've seen them, but never owned one. I knew you could shove a lot into them. That's so cool that a cased uke fits!
Next time we go to the UK (which will hopefully be in the next couple of years), we'll have to look into renting bikes. The paths in that video were so lovely. I've walked on similar paths when I've been there in the past, but never cycled them.

It'll never catch on. The immense speed will thrust all of your blood into your brain resulting in your head exploding!

Oh dear...
I just noticed that there are TWO Pashely dealers here in Colorado. AND it is nowhere near as expensive as I thought it would be. I was, however, just informed by my wife that I do NOT need another bike.
Obviously I don't NEED another bike. "NEED" doesn't even enter into the question.

Aloha Paul,
Many thanks for sharing, Saves the back man!! that position works as our body matures...why punish yourself for keeping up with newest styles that are so unnatural?? Have Fun and Enjoy!!!
Happy Peddling!!!! MM Stan..

Wish I was having fun with it - they are having a surge of popularity in the UK meaning that you have to place order via shop to the factory and wait 6 weeks for them to build one!
Sob...

Thing about the upright position - all general purpose bikes were like that - sure there were head down racers for good reason, then mountain biking which also needs that head down precision - what seemed to happen though was that the manufacturers seemed to then assume (in the UK) that we all want to look like that - we dont.

In Holland and Denmark the upright cruiser bike is totally commonplace, not the mountain bike (unless you are actually mountain biking)

The other great thing about the Pashley is the features like totally enclosed chain guards AND the flaps over back wheel so you dont get your long coat / dress splattered - in other words - a bike you can ride in normal clothes and not covered in fluorescent lycra!

I love the Pashley! The bike shop close to the house has a Guv'ner on diplay. I picked it up when the clerk wasn't looking and it was suprisingly light! Lighter than my Puch that I ride around on. I may buy it with my income tax refund.

The upright position seems comfy on short distances but will kill your back if you plan to ride metrics or centuries. I wouldn't mind doing a shorter 30 mile ride on one.

With the upright position, think of the torture your spinal chord takes everytime you hit a bump. The shock goes clean up your spine and you are riding on your spinal discs! Better to lean over share the weight and bumps with your arms and shoulders. This also makes you more aerodynamic.

I will get a Guv'ner but will flip the handlebars for the aerodynamics. Regard'e the Guv'ner in this vid. No ukulele music I'm afraid.
Ernest

Last edited:
I live the Pashley! The bike shop close to the house has a Guv'ner on diplay. I picked it up when the clerk wasn't looking and it was suprisingly light! Lighter than my Puch that I ride around on. I may buy it with my income tax refund.

The upright position seems comly on short distances but will kill your back if you plan to ride metrics or centuries. I wouldn't mind doing a shorter 30 mile ride on one.

With the upright position, think of the torture your spinal chord takes everytime you hit a bump. The shock goes clean up your spine and you are riding on your intercostal discs! Better to lean over share the weight and bumps with your arms and shoulders. This also makes you more aerodynamic.

I will get a Guv'ner but will flip the handlebars for the aerodynamics. Regard'e the Guv'ner in this vid. No ukulele music I'm afraid.
Ernest

Very cool video. I love riding hard-packed dirt roads like those. I also dug the close-up of my favorite saddle of all time: the mighty and perfect Brooks B17. Sweet! I've always wondered what those mustache-style bars would be like to ride. Have you ever used them?

Very cool video. I love riding hard-packed dirt roads like those. I also dug the close-up of my favorite saddle of all time: the mighty and perfect Brooks B17. Sweet! I've always wondered what those mustache-style bars would be like to ride. Have you ever used them?

Never used the wider moustache bars and and that's really the only I don't like about the bike. I'll certainly give those bars a fair try before I decide if I like them. When I get the bike, I hope the Pashley gods don't get mad if I have to replace the bars for something different. My old Puch came with Mary bars, which are shorter and I hated those. I replaced them with a flatbar to allow me to grind up the hills of my neighborhood.
Ernest

Big e

The guvnor is a smart bike

Regarding backs, quite the opposite on the sovereign, supremely sprung brooks saddle and 28 wheels smooth out the bumps brilliantly. Besides, not a bike for rough ground, it's purely for sedate cruises on country lanes. For same reasons aerodynamics don't worry me either, it weighs about 50 odd pounds!

That said, I did see a couple did London to Paris on one

Wish I was having fun with it - they are having a surge of popularity in the UK meaning that you have to place order via shop to the factory and wait 6 weeks for them to build one!
Sob...

The other great thing about the Pashley is the features like totally enclosed chain guards AND the flaps over back wheel so you dont get your long coat / dress splattered - in other words - a bike you can ride in normal clothes and not covered in fluorescent lycra!

What's so bad about florescent lycra? :) Personally have a Trek Hybrid... it's an upright bike too.. Love it, but don't ride it much since moving to NY state... the drivers here aren't very good about sharing the road....

Thats the other great thing about a Pashley - if you are in a car you wouldnt want to hit one - would be like hitting a battleship...

Top Bottom