C-A-G-E vs C-A-G-F-D vs D-B-G

ukejack82

Reaction score
I am currently trying to work on memorizing various chord voicings along the fretboard. I read in another thread about the C-A-G-E method and I sort of follow the gist of what is being proposed. I have recently purchased the Ukulele Fretboard Roadmaps book recommended on this site and they propose a method called B-G-D or three different chord shapes. Lastly, I read article at Bosko and Honey's website where they discuss the C-A-G-F-D system.

I am a little confused as to which system I should follow and the difference. It appears that the CAGFD contains more shapes than the others and I was wondering if C-A-G-E and B-G-D are just simplier versions (less shapes) the same concept.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack,

In July I put together, probably somewhat confusing, a way find the next voice shape based on the last fret. It may not be the same as CAGFD, but it is based on the open chord shapes and works like this...

Play a C chord on the 3rd fret, the highest fret is 3.

Place a bar on the 3rd fret and play an A shape chord, the highest fret is 5.

Place a bar on the 5th fret and play a G shape chord (it may be easier to press down the g string on the 5th fret and make a G shape chord shape from there), the highest fret is 8.

This where things go off a bit because on the G shape you take away 1 fret (8-1=7), so you bar on the 7th fret (instead of the 8th fret) and play and F shape, the highest fret is 9.

This is where things kinda get back on track because you add 1 fret to get you back (9+1=10) and play a D shape on the 10th fret, the highest fret is 12.

This has brought you back an entire octave playing only C chords.

The only value of this is to help figure out where there are other voicings of the same chord. I will occasionally use it if I want to play a much higher voicing.

Personally, I have found that by learning most of the voicings in the first 5-7 frets helps the most.

For instance when playing a song, don't always play a normal open G, play an F shape barred on the second fret, or a C chord using an A shape on the 3rd fret.

And if a G chord is an F shape on the 2nd fret that I can move up 2 frets to play an A or down 2 to play an F.

Here is the thread, hopefully you won't get even more confused.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?33517-Help-with-order-of-barred-chord-voicings-up-and-down-neck

John

Last edited:
Thanks John! I did not find that other thread before but will read it over. From what I have read so far, it appears to be aligned with CAGFD.

- Jack

Jack,

In July I put together, probably somewhat confusing, a way find the next voice shape based on the last fret. It may not be the same as CAGFD, but it is based on the open chord shapes and works like this...

Play a C chord on the 3rd fret, the highest fret is 3.

Place a bar on the 3rd fret and play an A shape chord, the highest fret is 5.

Place a bar on the 5th fret and play a G shape chord (it may be easier to press down the g string on the 5th fret and make a G shape chord shape from there), the highest fret is 8.

This where things go off a bit because on the G shape you take away 1 fret (8-1=7), so you bar on the 7th fret (instead of the 8th fret) and play and F shape, the highest fret is 9.

This is where things kinda get back on track because you add 1 fret to get you back (9+1=10) and play a D shape on the 10th fret, the highest fret is 12.

This has brought you back an entire octave playing only C chords.

The only value of this is to help figure out where there are other voicings of the same chord. I will occasionally use it if I want to play a much higher voicing.

Personally, I have found that by learning most of the voicings in the first 5-7 frets helps the most.

For instance when playing a song, don't always play a normal open G, play an F shape barred on the second fret, or a C chord using an A shape on the 3rd fret.

And if a G chord is an F shape on the 2nd fret that I can move up 2 frets to play an A or down 2 to play an F.

Here is the thread, hopefully you won't get even more confused.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?33517-Help-with-order-of-barred-chord-voicings-up-and-down-neck

John

This is actually easier to follow here than it was in the original post.

Top Bottom