Yes, but is it Art?

Didn't Marcel Duchamp say something along the lines of [It's art because I say it's art] I like it

I like it, too. Sounds like Marcel, alright! He probably said that after, in 1917, he created his famous "Fountain" which was an old urinal placed on a pedestal and signed "R. Mutt." It was created for an exhibit that promised all works would be accepted. It was never actally displayed, but Alfred Steiglitz took an iconic photo of the "piece" that was the talk of the Art World. The really funny thing was, several "replicas" were later "commissioned" by Duchamp. They're still on display at various galleries around the globe, and must be worth a pissload, if I may say.

I like it, too. Sounds like Marcel, alright! He probably said that after, in 1917, he created his famous "Fountain" which was an old urinal placed on a pedestal and signed "R. Mutt." It was created for an exhibit that promised all works would be accepted. It was never actally displayed, but Alfred Steiglitz took an iconic photo of the "piece" that was the talk of the Art World. The really funny thing was, several "replicas" were later "commissioned" by Duchamp. They're still on display at various galleries around the globe, and must be worth a pissload, if I may say.
Yes I believe he entered it anonymously and he was on the judging panel and he himself said it's not art, if I remember correctly, quite the interesting person I must say.

Didn't United buy him out for that? I think he donated the money to charity too, cool guy.

This, according to Wikipedia:

Bob Taylor, owner of Taylor Guitars, immediately offered Carroll two guitars and other props for his second video; The song hit number one on the iTunes Music Store the week following its release. The Times reported that the belated compensation offer of $3,000 which was donated by United to the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz as a "gesture of goodwill" failed to undo the damage done to its image.

Since the incident, Carroll has been in great demand as a speaker on customer service. On one of his trips as a speaker, United Airlines lost his luggage.

In December 2009, Time magazine named "United Breaks Guitars" #7 on its list of the Top 10 Viral Videos of 2009.

It is creative, but kinda sad to see a uke destoyed so badly.

Imagine how I felt opening the gig bag and finding all that kindling in there! I walked back into house with the debris in hand and my wife says, "Forget something?" I dropped the bag on the floor and said, "My brain." I was so crestfallen I could barely speak. It was hoosierhiver's idea that I see if the neck was still usable for a cigar box project, so props to Mike! It's alive!!!!

...You should definitely write a song!
Wait, I have something! Since I'm on a recycling jag here, I may as well apply this to the situation. Even though I didn't write it for the Lehua per se, it still fits. You can see the old version of the uke stand behind me (now the Ukulazy Susan), the base of which the Art is mounted on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom