Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kristal Audio Engine - easy to use for multi-track recording and editing

What interface do you use to bring simultaneous multitrack feeds into the computer?
    I use an old (in computer years) Creative Labs Audigy card which is capable of 4 simultaneous mono inputs with a slight modification. I also use the kX drivers instead of windows or Creative Labs drivers.

I tried to document what I did here with the Audigy card and kX drivers.
    Build a second stereo analog input for Audigy

This is stuff I put up in 2008 and I see that some of the links are out of date and I may refer to Windows 98SE or ME but most of the info should be good.

Some people might find it easier to just buy a card like the EMU 0404 PCI for around $100.00. You can do 4 simultaneous analog inputs with that one. The Audigy 1 cards like the model SB0090 go for less than $15.00 US on Ebay or the Audigy 2 ZS model SB0350 goes for around $25.00 US.

I have probably given you more information than you wanted. The kX drivers have a fairly large learning curve but once you figure them out, you have some pretty nifty recording tools.
    Last edited by Doug W; 11-28-2010 at 08:35 AM.
    I am the best ukulele player on my block!

Doug W,

Pretty nice setup!

Would it also work to wire two regular mono 1/8" jacks (or a single stereo jack) into a CD-ROM cable, and then feed that into an AUX_IN connector?
    Last edited by spots; 11-27-2010 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spots View Post
    Doug W,

Pretty nice setup!

Would it also work to wire two regular mono 1/8" jacks (or a single stereo jack) into a CD-ROM cable, and then feed that into an AUX_IN connector?
    Someday I should edit that page because essentially that is what you are doing-wiring a 1/8" or 1/4" stereo jack into the AUX_IN. You might want to change that to 2 mono jacks depending on your needs.

This requires some magic from the kX drivers to work with the Audigy cards however.

With the desktop mixers that most of us have at home, we are always left with the dilemna you mentioned at the beginning of this thread. You have one stereo output. You can pan the first 2 tracks on your mixer hard left and hard right and get 2 discrete inputs into the computer. Some desktop mixers have an effects loop which you can use as a 3rd mono output. The 4th input (or 3rd and 4th) will have to come directly into the sound card inputs or you use a second mixer. I have an old cassette 4 track that we use as a second mixer. You have to get a little creative about monitoring all this stuff on your headphones or speakers.
    Last edited by Doug W; 11-28-2010 at 05:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug W View Post
    Someday I should edit that page because essentialy that is what you are doing-wiring a 1/8" or 1/4" stereo jack into the AUX_IN. You might want to change that to 2 mono jacks depending on your needs.
    Good point about the 1/4" inch mono jacks instead of 1/8". Then you could plug a TRS cable from a mixer, or instrument, directly into the computer.

If you really want to get wacky you can connect 2 Audigy cards together with an SPDIF cable and have 8 simultaneous inputs. Link 2 Audigy soundcards

I had this setup for a short time and then realized I wasn't actually doing any recording that required 8 inputs so I put the second Audigy card in another computer.

Will Kristal allow you to mix multiple wav files? I had some old tascam 4 track tape tracks converted to digital and was going to try and remix some of it digitally as I am not really happy with the 2 track stereo mix done a long time ago.

Each of 4 tape channels was digitized to its own .wav file.
    Mainland Mango Concert and Red Cedar Soprano, Kala KA-ASKS Soprano, KoAloha Concert, Boat Paddle Tenor, Moore Bettah Tenor, Boat Paddle Mseries Baritone

Quote Originally Posted by olgoat52 View Post
    Will Kristal allow you to mix multiple wav files? I had some old tascam 4 track tape tracks converted to digital and was going to try and remix some of it digitally as I am not really happy with the 2 track stereo mix done a long time ago.

In Kristal you can mix up to 16 tracks. You can import files into each track which can be .wav, .aif, .aiff, or .ogg. Good thing that you kept the 4 tracks separate. You can do the same with just about any of the multracking software. You could add some new tracks to your old song.

When you think you are happy with your mix, you do an "export mixdown" in Kristal which will create one wav file of your song.

Here is the download page. Try out your mix with Kristal and Audacity. Multitrack Studio Lite will only let you do 3 tracks but it has some nice features.

See which one you like.
    Last edited by Doug W; 12-02-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by olgoat52 View Post

As Doug shared, Kristal will do the job.

I would recommend getting the free "Kjaerhus Audio Classic Series" VST plug-in to use in Kristal. It contains a compressor, equalizer, chorus, limiter, etc. Each of these has its own GUI interface.

You can use these plug-ins to tweak and modify each track individually.

I would recommend getting the free "Kjaerhus Audio Classic Series" VST plug-in to use in Kristal. It contains a compressor, equalizer, chorus, limiter, etc. Each of these has its own GUI interface.

You can use these plug-ins to tweak and modify each track individually
    I completely agree with spots here. There are 7 katrillion VST plug-ins out there and the "Kjaerhus Audio Classic Series" are the only ones I really use.

Thanks all.
    Mainland Mango Concert and Red Cedar Soprano, Kala KA-ASKS Soprano, KoAloha Concert, Boat Paddle Tenor, Moore Bettah Tenor, Boat Paddle Mseries Baritone

Thread Information