Pineapple Ukuleles? Why?

maikii

Reaction score
What I mean is--is the main reason for this type the novelty shape (especially those with a pineapple picture silk-screened on them), or is there really a difference in sound, between the pineapple and the regular soprano?

If there is a difference, how can you describe it?

The body volume of a pineapple is slightly larger than the standard soprano. Thus, it should resonate more.

In my limited experience, the pineapple 'ukulele is louder than the "standard" of the same brand & size. The geometric volume of the body and the surface area of the face of a pineapple 'uke are larger than those for the same size "standard" 'uke. Particularly in the small, soprano size, this can be of benefit.

I don't see many pineapple 'ukes around that are larger than soprano, though. My pineapple soprano is my favorite.

Yes they have more surface to vibrate than a regular uke.
the funny thing is that takes less wood to make a pineapple uke. A lot of times people will make a pineapple because they dont have enough or long enough pieces to make a regular shaped uke, but it will work for a pineapple.
In the begining they were made as a tourist item and not taken very seriously, but now it is a little cooler to have them.
I prefer pineapple. My main uke is my David Gill Concert pineapple
gillfront.gif

The pineapple design was created by Sam Kamaka Sr. (patented in 1928). Next year- 2011, the Kamaka family will be celebrating their 95th anniversary as Hawaiian Ukulele artisans. http://www.kamakahawaii.com/ukegallery.html On the Kamaka site, the pineapple shape is described as "a resonant, mellow sound distinct from the traditional figure-eight".http://www.kamakahawaii.com/history.html
I would imagine that the pineapple shape would be a little easier to make, since the shape is simpler. Technically speaking, I would classify the Flea as a pineapple (or maybe the closely related "boat paddle"), and you can get concert or tenor necks on those.
–Lori

Yes they have more surface to vibrate than a regular uke.
the funny thing is that takes less wood to make a pineapple uke. A lot of times people will make a pineapple because they dont have enough or long enough pieces to make a regular shaped uke, but it will work for a pineapple.
In the begining they were made as a tourist item and not taken very seriously, but now it is a little cooler to have them.
I prefer pineapple. My main uke is my David Gill Concert pineapple
gillfront.gif

That's interesting info! That's also a beautiful Gill 'Ukulele..very elegant styling.

The pineapple design was created by Sam Kamaka Sr. (patented in 1928). Next year- 2011, the Kamaka family will be celebrating their 95th anniversary as Hawaiian Ukulele artisans. http://www.kamakahawaii.com/ukegallery.html On the Kamaka site, the pineapple shape is described as "a resonant, mellow sound distinct from the traditional figure-eight".http://www.kamakahawaii.com/history.html
I would imagine that the pineapple shape would be a little easier to make, since the shape is simpler. Technically speaking, I would classify the Flea as a pineapple (or maybe the closely related "boat paddle"), and you can get concert or tenor necks on those.
–Lori

Wow! This is some great info, especially for a pineapple fan like myself. Thanks.

In my limited experience, the pineapple 'ukulele is louder than the "standard" of the same brand & size. The geometric volume of the body and the surface area of the face of a pineapple 'uke are larger than those for the same size "standard" 'uke. Particularly in the small, soprano size, this can be of benefit.

I don't see many pineapple 'ukes around that are larger than soprano, though. My pineapple soprano is my favorite.

Ingrate, Why is your pineapple soprano your favorite? Thanks, I am complinating purchasing a pineapple.
Roxhum

What I mean is--is the main reason for this type the novelty shape (especially those with a pineapple picture silk-screened on them), or is there really a difference in sound, between the pineapple and the regular soprano?

If there is a difference, how can you describe it?

Sometimes a video is worth 1.5 million words!...:

I only have one pineapple, but it seems to me that not only is it a bit louder than a normal soprano because of the bigger body, it is also FULLER sounding. More lows in addition to the normal bright soprano tone.

Craig,

That is one sweet uke and I generally don't get too excited about ukuleles with spruce or cedar tops - need somebody to break it in for ya? :)

John

Craig,

That is one sweet uke and I generally don't get too excited about ukuleles with spruce or cedar tops - need somebody to break it in for ya? :)

John

Thanks Ray, but I'll manage. Actually, the cedar was already somewhat open, due to its nature unlike the spruce which takes months and even years to develop. With this said, the cedar is really warming and rounding a bit while keeping its brilliant highs.... Yes, I'm a lucky man and very grateful.

I think that the pineapple shape also lends itself to more natural overtones since the waist constriction of the typical figure eight focuses the sound a little and can eliminate some overtones. This can give the pineapple shape a fuller sound as the sound can bounce around more in the internal cavity of the instrument.

I don't understand why pineapples aren't at least a little more popular. I definitely don't consider them a novelty.

I'm pretty new to all this but the reason I don't own one is that they are not available with a concert scale very often. A pineapple super soprano or a pineapple concert would be in my collection in a heart beat.

There are many good luthiers on the UU that can make a concert pineapple for you. Bradford (Donaldson) is one, and so is Thomas (Macomson). I bought a concert sized pineapple from Thomas last year, and I know Bradford made a concert sized pineapple for Teek earlier this year (with a specially ergonomic curved back). They are very reasonable price-wise, considering what you get. There are probably many others too, but I know for sure about these two and the concert pineapple design.

–Lori

There are many good luthiers on the UU that can make a concert pineapple for you. Bradford (Donaldson) is one, and so is Thomas (Macomson). I bought a concert sized pineapple from Thomas last year, and I know Bradford made a concert sized pineapple for Teek earlier this year (with a specially ergonomic curved back). They are very reasonable price-wise, considering what you get. There are probably many others too, but I know for sure about these two and the concert pineapple design.

–Lori

So how do you like yours?? Inquiring minds what to know :D

Top Bottom