Any Elderly fans?....

The_Oddness_of_It_All

Reaction score
So I'm getting stoked for my annual trip up to Elderly Instruments! I love that place man they always seem to have the best selection. That's actually where I bought my KoAloha:) But I never seem to have enough time there. I have been trying to think up a battleplan so I can play the maximum number of ukes. Whenever I go there I end up wasting time and I end up missing out on playing some awesome ukes. So I was wondering what you guys do. I was thinking that I should do some major research and write down the ones I want to play the most.....But I don't know.

What do you guys think?

Im 73! Do I qualify? :) Lozark

So I'm getting stoked for my annual trip up to Elderly Instruments! I love that place man they always seem to have the best selection. That's actually where I bought my KoAloha:) But I never seem to have enough time there. I have been trying to think up a battleplan so I can play the maximum number of ukes. Whenever I go there I end up wasting time and I end up missing out on playing some awesome ukes. So I was wondering what you guys do. I was thinking that I should do some major research and write down the ones I want to play the most.....But I don't know.

What do you guys think?

I think I wish I was you, o odd one!!! If it were me I'd hook onto the website and write a list on a bit of paper so you know exactly which ones you want to cuddle beforehand!

So jealous....I'd be heading for the Kamakas, Collings', LoPrinzis and the National Resos. I'd also like to try a couple of Martins...read and hear so much about them but never had the opportunity to play one.

Have a ball and happy strummin' and pickin'!!!! Let us know what you decide to buy!

Aloha TOOIA,
If it was me, and I had time constraints....I'd go in there with a plan of attack...choose your most important choices...Have fun and enjoy!!! Happy strummings!! MM Stan...

they actually only have like 10% of their ukes out, so having a list to hand to the sales guy will make sure you can play them. They have no issue going and getting them, they are just limited on space so they keep some in storage

What do you guys think?
I'm so lucky to live 40 minutes away, but it's an event even form me to go - just look at their website a few days before going to see what they have, but they also have some vintage items you may not see on their website. Be sure to check out the airplane uke, based on Lucky Lindy, and they have a nice use Ko'olau there right now. If you want to see a slightly dated picture of their wall of ukes, check out the recent entry on my blog at http://oneukulele.blogspot.com

Yes, I am an Elderly Fan!

Mike

PS, call Stand Werbin out there, the owner, as he is a big ukulele fan - if you tell him you play, and if he is there, he may be able to give you rock-star access to the place! Worth a try. Mike

I'm so lucky to live 40 minutes away

What?! No fair! I live 5 hours away!.... although I don't have to pay tax if I call in to order.
but still..

PS, call Stand Werbin out there, the owner, as he is a big ukulele fan - if you tell him you play, and if he is there, he may be able to give you rock-star access to the place! Worth a try. Mike

where would I get his number? Is it on the website?

they actually only have like 10% of their ukes out, so having a list to hand to the sales guy will make sure you can play them. They have no issue going and getting them, they are just limited on space so they keep some in storage

I know, I realized that the first time I went. But I always feel bad coming in and wanting to look at 15+ that are all in storage. I feel like I should call ahead and tell them To get them out...:)

I've never been, but I bought my '77 Jazz Bass from them in '99, and my Style 2 Martin earlier this year. They're great! When I bought the Martin, it was a choice between 2 Style 2s and a Style 1. The uke guy (sorry, I don't remember his name) got them all out and spent about 30 minutes on the phone with me, playing them and telling me what he thought about each of them.
My neighbors are pretty good bluegrass musicians, and in about '97 they went to Michigan solely to go to Elderly to buy a Martin guitar. They spent the whole day and were never pressured, and were allowed to play pretty much any guitar they wanted without the staff seeming annoyed. They walked out with a new HD-28, and couldn't say enough good things about the store and staff.

Yeah - I'm an Elderly fan, too. I've bought two ukes from them - both times, Pat in mail order got them out, played them for me, looked at various things I asked him to tell me about, and gave me an honest appraisal of their condition.

Yes - If I was going, I'd have my targets laid out absolutely. I'm someone who usually likes to wander around and see what turns up, but not in this case. :)

Elderly does a good job with setup and they also have a pretty accurate rating system for used instruments, especially vintage. They are very popular among professional performers. I find their service is excellent.

I ordered some different string brands from Elderly a little over a month ago. I opened the Worth Browns last week and the E string was a clear not a brown. I called Elderly and explained the situation. They sent out a replacement set right away. Great customer service.

I just bought a natural finished Fluke Flea online from them when they had a sale going on. Good price, nice website full of all sorts of goodies.

I love Elderly, I always make a trip there with my father when I am in the area.

You're so lucky. I would love to be able to visit their store. I have bought tons of strings and books from them. They have wonderful customer service, and when I had a return they were prompt and great about it. Have fun!

Never considered myself a "fan' but I have used them allot. Very good customer service, and I know of at least one there that is a Uke guy and very knowlegeable. I have only mail ordered from them though. Every single time I emailed them, they replied very quickly, and answered any questions or concerns I have had. Same with telephone conversations. They are only a couple hours from me geographically, so maybe I should go there some day. I didn't realize they were that big. Not much of a suprise tho if I think about it.

One specific concern I had that they went over and beyond on with me. I bought a set of Ping geared uke tuners awhile back, and one of the tuners did not have the hole drilled in the post for the string. I called them and asked them if they can send a replacement tuner, and I would send them back the bad one. Within a couple days, I got a new full set. I called them back and said I only needed one, and if I should send the whole set back, or how they wanted to do it. They simply said not to worry about it, they just wanted to be sure I had what I needed. Awesome customer service.

Last edited:
My experience wtih Elderly is a non-sale. They wanted to charge more than double the shipping cost for a small uke without a case, mailed from mainland USA, than what MGM charged me for a bigger uke, with case, mailed from Hawaii. It was more than $35 difference. When I asked about the excess cost fo mailing, the person who responded was curt and disinterested in my business. MGM got my order instead and I've used his services for several other purchases.

I'm a big fan. Purchased two very nice ukes, a case, numerous sets of strings from them. Their knowledgeable staff is very helpful, playing instruments over the phone, describing condition in great detail. I always receive gracious e-mails from them thanking me for my purchases. I have had very pleasant e-mail exchanges with the owner, Stan Werbin, nice man. If I lived close enough to visit, I'd be dead (my wife would kill me for buying "another one!!!"), or one broke S.O.B. - as it is I'm just broke.
And, I'm jealous of anyone who can easily get there. So many vintage and new instruments to play.

Elderly is a fantastic store and the owner Stan Werbin is a fellow Uker. If you come on the 3rd Saturday of the month, you can join the Lansing Ukulele group for some fun. Elderly always throws together a few last-minute deals for attendees. You can find retail ukuleles cheaper from other online merchants. But no store in the area has anything close to their selection of new and used Ukes. You can spend all day trying everything out and even play that vintage Martin you'll never afford.

I should warn you: if you suffer from UAS, you may want to leave your wallet in the car.

Top Bottom