Spokeshaves

Michael Smith

Reaction score
Can someone suggest a decent small spokeshave that won't break the bank. I have been using and old stanley and it works well on guitars but is way too clunky for uke necks. I have been thinking about making one by just buying the 1.5 inch Hock blade. seen here http://www.hocktools.com/SP.htm. Anyone ever do that?

I've found the small "Dragon Rasps" from StewMac to be just the tool for myself and all the students going through the shop. Many of them like them so much that they end up getting a set of the coarse and fine for themselves. Handy for all kinds of projects.

Oddly enough, I'd check around either antique stores or ebay for some only Stanely items. They tend to be relatively inexpensive.

~DB

I've found the small "Dragon Rasps" from StewMac to be just the tool for myself and all the students going through the shop. Many of them like them so much that they end up getting a set of the coarse and fine for themselves. Handy for all kinds of projects.
I prefer a Rasp to a spokeshave..as well..So I gave my spokeshave away..never missed it.

I looked at the plans at the bottom of the page on the link that you included on your original post. They look pretty good. I made one like that years ago but gave it away. Wish I still had it.

The old wood handle type seemed to work best for me. There is usually a fair number of them on Ebay. That's where I got mine.

Here's a one that seems nice. http://cgi.ebay.com/Big-Beech-Wood-Spokeshave-Restore-/330503423281?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf38a0531

Just did a quick check on ebay (I'm really just trying to put off studying for finals) and I'm amazed at what people call a "spokeshave." Cabinet scrapers, veneer scrapers, drawknives......anything with two handles.

That's one of the thngs I like about it - you can get closer into tricky corners with it..

Sorry Ken, Charles is an acquired taste. His approach to Woodworking is a much more relaxed than the normal pitchman. I love a sign in his store. It says: Antiques made daily.

O.K.....maybe I need to lighten up a bit. When you contrast him to other "pitchmen" I guess he isn't all that bad. He definately has a passion for his work.

I like the looks of those. Added to wish list. Thanks for the heads up, Allen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom