Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Guitalele Day

Default New Guitalele Day

My Yamaha Guitalele arrived today after a bit of a wait. It's a rather interesting little beastie. I've always been more comfortable with the uke than the guitar, but the extra low strings do open up some new possibilities for interesting chords without forcing me to rupture my hands trying to make the shapes (though I'll admit that I have the same problems with bar chords on this instrument as I do on the guitar. I think my fingers may simply be too skinny to make good bar chords. Of course, the action is also a little high). The strings are pretty close together, so everything can get rather cramped at times. The skinny fingers do come in handy in this respect.

However, the instrument is surprisingly resonant, even on the nylon strings (which are sometimes a TEENY bit overwhelmed by the steel ones). It's quite loud for such a tiny thing; it's really only slightly bigger than my tenor. The intonation isn't absolutely perfect, but it's pretty close. The chords sound full and rich, and the tone is quite warm.

All in all, I'd describe this thingy as being worth the relatively small amount of money I paid for it. It certainly hasn't replaced the ukulele in my heart, but it's a nice little instrument all the same.

Very cool! I'm saving up for a D-VI myself.
    Ukulele + Guilele Fretboard Note Chart!
    Tenor Outdoor Ukulele
    Blackbird Farallon
    KoAloha D-VI - For sale

Congratulations on your new instrument! I'm curious about guitarleles because, like you, I would probably break fingers trying to make chord shapes on a full-size guitar fingerboard. I hope you post some photos of yours and perhaps even a sound sample.

i'm yet to play one of these instruments, but hope to in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by mds725 View Post
    Congratulations on your new instrument! I'm curious about guitarleles because, like you, I would probably break fingers trying to make chord shapes on a full-size guitar fingerboard. I hope you post some photos of yours and perhaps even a sound sample.
    There may be a sound sample eventually. I'm still rather embarrassed about how slowly I change chords on this instrument. I would take a picture, but I think my camera is lost forever beneath a pile of Stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kem View Post
    There may be a sound sample eventually. I'm still rather embarrassed about how slowly I change chords on this instrument. I would take a picture, but I think my camera is lost forever beneath a pile of Stuff.
    You know no one will judge you poorly here. Post a video =)
    Tenor Outdoor Ukulele
    Blackbird Farallon
    KoAloha D-VI - For sale

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    You know no one will judge you poorly here. Post a video =)
    Eh...don't know how. Don't even know how to make one. DON'T JUDGE ME.

*Runs away*

video camera, press record, take out card, put car into computer, pull file into windows movie maker, drag to timeline, click publish movie, go to youtube and upload, then post the link =)
    Tenor Outdoor Ukulele
    Blackbird Farallon
    KoAloha D-VI - For sale

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    video camera, press record, take out card, put car into computer, pull file into windows movie maker, drag to timeline, click publish movie, go to youtube and upload, then post the link =)
    Again, my camera is buried beneath a pile of Stuff. I shall find it eventually. I shall go on a quest for it. There may be elves involved.

I have been interested in this Yamaha too. But I think I will be more likely to save up for the Koaloha D-VI, if I can try one of those out first. My uke storage situation is pretty tight, so every new addition is a real challenge. I don't like the idea of hanging uke cases (or anything) on the wall over my bed (earthquake country, y'know), but I am seriously thinking about it.
    –Lori

Thread Information