Win a Mainland tenor cut-away slotted headstock.

Hey Mike,

I joined "Ukulele Players United to Decrease World Suck" at Kiva when you first posted about it last year, but this thread reminded me to re-lend money I had in my Kiva account from loans I've made through UPUDWS that have been repaid. I made six new loans today and I've now made a total of 26 loans. Feels great! Thanks again for bringing Kiva to my attention!

Mark

What percentage of the loans were repaid in your experience? I guess I never thought about the ongoing effect of reloading the repaid funds. Shows you how cynical I am.. :(

Great idea Mike. Heard about KIVA awhile ago on NPR and let it slip my mind. Thanks for the refresher. I'm in. Great idea.

Thanks

Wonderful idea. Joined and made a loan! Yay, for decreasing the suck of the world!

What percentage of the loans were repaid in your experience? I guess I never thought about the ongoing effect of reloading the repaid funds. Shows you how cynical I am.. :(

So far, I've made 26 loans (that includes loans using funds repaid from earlier loans). Nine (9) of them are fully paid off, and another 15 are paying back. Two borrowers are still fundraising. Of the 15 borrowers who are currently paying back, 3 are delinquent but have not defaulted. Also, some loans are something called "default protected." You may be able to find Kiva-wide statistics about delinquencies and defaults on the Kiva website.

Last edited:

You can check the statistics of each loan, most loans go thru local non-for-profit lending organisations, some charge interest, some don't, some have guarentees, some don't.

This was a great loan opportunity. Thanks for keeping this project active.

I made 10 loans and want to make more. This is an excellent idea and I am very happy to be part of it. Having started life as a very poor boy (no indoor plumbing, 6 of us living in a 4-room house (less than 900 square feet), I know what opportunity can yield. My life has been very good and I try to give to people in some fashion on a daily basis. I remember when dad wanted to buy a cow so that we would have fresh milk but didn't have enough saved to do so. I want to help these people so that they may play it forward.

Thank you for bringing this opportunity to my attention.

Count me in. Just made a loan. Thanks for doing this again Mike!

Ok... I know we were talking about this in Tampa and how it is a good idea... but WOW... IT IS SO COOL! The problem is I want to loan to EVERYONE! I was hoping Ethiopia was on there. I would love to help out a family that is a lot like the one my kids came from! Maybe eventually. But I found the enxt best thing. I helped a Single Mom who Sews in Guiyaquil Equador, the city my cousin was born in! Very close to my heart! I admire her working so hard to support her son!

I think I might have to invest in a donation box in my store and see if I can start a rotating Mim's Ukes donation thing... take the money from the box, donate it, when it comes back, donate again... and so on, and so forth!

So glad to be apart of this. If anyone would like more info on the history of micro-lending, I just finshed the book, "Banker to the Poor" by Nobel peace prize winner Muhammad Yunas. Yunas is the originator of micro-loans and is personally responsible for lending over six billion dollars to the poor, that all started with a $27 loan in 1976. It is a great read and seeing how one man can be responsible for changing millions of lives is inspiring. Thanks also to hoosierhiver for motivating us to get off our butts and get out there and help people. It's catchy, my wife took the kids to Mana house this morning to package food for the needy. Merry Christmas

Meee Tooo

And excellent holiday timing. Made a loan to Victor Manuel Chicoma Aquino, a Peruvian photographer. My first. Thanks for the motivation to end world suck.

Pretty cool thing - can't believe I've never heard of this. Just made a loan to Maria Rosario to build up her toy store stock - figured that was appropriate this time of year!

John

Did you see the group stats:

In Clubs Category Rank Statistic Name Time Period
#4 New Users All Time
#1 New Users This Month
#2 Amount Loaned This Month

Pretty cool, eh?

Heard about it before. Glad to be part of it now thanks to hoosierhiver. It was difficult but chose two to start: Azbaraga Eldarov in Azerbaijan, has one dairy cow, would like to buy 2 more and only 69% funded if anyone is interested in helping. The second was Antonio, one of the Santa Lucia group in manufacturing, in Paraguay now 100% funded. Yeah.

Top Bottom