Song Help Request George Formby- Baby

zurcadirf

Reaction score
the reason i first wanted to play the ukulele:

(hope you love it as much as i do)
i can't figure out how he tuned his uke/what chords he is playing
but it's my dream to play this song!
i would be forever grateful someone could figure it out : )

Aloha Zurcadirf,
Welcome to the UU and the forums and the ukulele....Nice video.....didn't know they used the nickname back then..snookie....thanks for sharing!!! Happy Strummings!! MM Stan

Last edited:
hi zurcadirf!!!

what a lovely song eh. I'm a huge George Formby fan too. Thanks so much for posting this. He's tuned his uke up to "D" instead of the standard C tuning.

That means if your uke is normally tuned GCEA, you'll need to tune it up to ADF#B.

I'll just hop over to the "Tabs and Chords" board and post the full song with chords and lyrics for you there...

Hi. Could some one please put up the chords for "Baby" again. The post would appear to have been deleted. Thanks.

Kev. Nottingham UK

i was just looking for chords for this lovely little song, i couldn't find any, so i tried to work some out, using that same vid in the opening post of this thread

i had to tune my uke up 3 half steps up from standard tuning, to A# D# G C to match how george is playing in that clip

i played the following chord shapes...

(F) Ba(A7)by, (slide D♭7 to D7) baby, you're (G7) my (C7)sweet(F)heart. (G7) (C)

(F) Ba(A7)by, (slide D♭7 to D7) baby, (G7) say we'll never (C7) part (Gm6) (C7) (Gm6)

(F) Although the skies be (B♭) dreary and grey,

(G7) Promise me that (C7) you'll never stray away

My (F) ba(A7)by, (slide D♭7 to D7) baby, you're (G7)my (C7)sweet(F)heart. (G7) (C)

(F) I love (D♭7) you, (F) all day (D7) through, (G7)nobody else in this (C7) great big world for me,

Will (F) do, (D♭7) do, (F) do.

i dunno if i'm exactly right, but i was able to play along with george, and play and sing it through quite happily myself, like that, so i hope this might help anyone still looking for chords or looking to work out the chords

here's the vid i made, i did it in a bird's eye view, so it's easier to see the chord shapes i'm playing

Last edited:
Last edited:
I didn't know you knew that many chords.....
lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i discovered a whole new (to me!) chord, while doing this!!!!!! (which brings me to a grand total of four chords in my brain now! ;))

Great work here Lynda, thanks for posting :D and thanks to you, I've just spent the last couple of hours watching George Formby vids on YT! :cool:
lol! yeah, as uke-players, we all have to skip along down george formby road at SOME time or other! :music:

Its a shame that their actual love story left much to be desired.

Top Bottom