Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Increasing Vocal Range (Chest Voice)

Default Increasing Vocal Range (Chest Voice)

Sooooo I really need to increase my vocal range, because right now it is horrendous. What are your guy's ideas and techniques for doing this because the way that I do it is too slow. (I get maybe a semi-tone or full-tone every few weeks or so.) Thanks a lot guys. =) Oh my range is a C2 (C 2 octaves below middle C on the piano.) to G4 (G above middle C on the piano.). And I would like to pull my chest voice to Tenor C if at all possible. Before I started working my voice my range was only C3 to C4. =( Any help at all is appreciated! =)

Relax, drop you jaw, open your chest breathe deep and sing. Stretching your vocal range can only be done with doing it. If your serious, find a voice coach, but give your body time to adjust. Sing beyond your rage, but don't force it.
    UWC; only those who have not been can rationalize not going.

Quote Originally Posted by salukulady View Post
    Relax, drop you jaw, open your chest breathe deep and sing. Stretching your vocal range can only be done with doing it. If your serious, find a voice coach, but give your body time to adjust. Sing beyond your rage, but don't force it.
    Well how do I know what my max range is, or if there even is such a thing?

You need to be vocalized properly by a teacher who is there and can hear you. What Salukulady said is all correct. How it works is that you stand at the piano while the teacher gives you positive encouragement to do just what she said, and the teacher starts with some arpegios, going higher and higher and higher, and probably higher than you ever thought you could do, and then back down again, lower, and lower, and lower than you ever thought you could do.

This is going to be well nigh impossible to do on your own. You need someone there to guide you on doing what Salukulady said. Otherwise, you'll just be hurting your vocal cords.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainsong View Post
    You need to be vocalized properly by a teacher who is there and can hear you. What Salukulady said is all correct. How it works is that you stand at the piano while the teacher gives you positive encouragement to do just what she said, and the teacher starts with some arpegios, going higher and higher and higher, and probably higher than you ever thought you could do, and then back down again, lower, and lower, and lower than you ever thought you could do.

This is going to be well nigh impossible to do on your own. You need someone there to guide you on doing what Salukulady said. Otherwise, you'll just be hurting your vocal cords.
    Well I do play Piano and I have done something with arpegios, I just run the 1st Minor 3rd Major 5th and Octave 1st and back down going up in semi-tones from my lowest pictch and then back down again. But I can see what you are saying, that makes sense. I just don't have the time to invest in a vocal coach. That's why I wondered if you had any home remedies. Thanks for the advice though!

Yeah, there's no home remedy but to relax your body, sing from your legs, don't cave in your chest or crow neck your neck. Keep you body relaxed, drop that jaw, breathe from your legs up and push that air out as if blowing through a straw. It's like learning how to drive a manual transmission for the first time.

It might be a better idea to increase the quality of your head voice. That will also increase your range dramatically.

Quality head voice begins with good projection. Sing while standing. Fill your lungs by expanding your stomach below the rib cage. Open your mouth wide and let go. A good head voice will sound just like a chest voice, with practice.
    -Alan (UKISOCIETY)

My muse.

Quote Originally Posted by UKISOCIETY View Post
    It might be a better idea to increase the quality of your head voice. That will also increase your range dramatically.

Quality head voice begins with good projection. Sing while standing. Fill your lungs by expanding your stomach below the rib cage. Open your mouth wide and let go. A good head voice will sound just like a chest voice, with practice.
    I am trying to decrease the voices in my head....

Quote Originally Posted by deach View Post
    I am trying to decrease the voices in my head....
    I bet there's quite an echo in there!
    -Alan (UKISOCIETY)

My muse.

It's different for guys and girls, so I thought, but I thought guys generally didn't have head voice.... that head voice was falsetto, and that everything is all chest voice by default.

Not that it changes the technique of course.

This is why when you get to a certain level, it's better to have a teacher with your voice type. Any guys here with classical training, clue me in here, do guys have head voice??

I thought those who had true head voices, the male contraltos, altos and sopranos, were very rare.

Thread Information