Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Increasing Vocal Range (Chest Voice)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ozark, MO
    Posts
    54

    Default Increasing Vocal Range (Chest Voice)

    Sooooo I really need to increase my vocal range, because right now it is horrendous. What are your guy's ideas and techniques for doing this because the way that I do it is too slow. (I get maybe a semi-tone or full-tone every few weeks or so.) Thanks a lot guys. =) Oh my range is a C2 (C 2 octaves below middle C on the piano.) to G4 (G above middle C on the piano.). And I would like to pull my chest voice to Tenor C if at all possible. Before I started working my voice my range was only C3 to C4. =( Any help at all is appreciated! =)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    53,979

    Default

    Relax, drop you jaw, open your chest breathe deep and sing. Stretching your vocal range can only be done with doing it. If your serious, find a voice coach, but give your body time to adjust. Sing beyond your rage, but don't force it.
    UWC; only those who have not been can rationalize not going.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ozark, MO
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salukulady View Post
    Relax, drop you jaw, open your chest breathe deep and sing. Stretching your vocal range can only be done with doing it. If your serious, find a voice coach, but give your body time to adjust. Sing beyond your rage, but don't force it.
    Well how do I know what my max range is, or if there even is such a thing?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland via Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,767

    Default

    You need to be vocalized properly by a teacher who is there and can hear you. What Salukulady said is all correct. How it works is that you stand at the piano while the teacher gives you positive encouragement to do just what she said, and the teacher starts with some arpegios, going higher and higher and higher, and probably higher than you ever thought you could do, and then back down again, lower, and lower, and lower than you ever thought you could do.

    This is going to be well nigh impossible to do on your own. You need someone there to guide you on doing what Salukulady said. Otherwise, you'll just be hurting your vocal cords.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ozark, MO
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plainsong View Post
    You need to be vocalized properly by a teacher who is there and can hear you. What Salukulady said is all correct. How it works is that you stand at the piano while the teacher gives you positive encouragement to do just what she said, and the teacher starts with some arpegios, going higher and higher and higher, and probably higher than you ever thought you could do, and then back down again, lower, and lower, and lower than you ever thought you could do.

    This is going to be well nigh impossible to do on your own. You need someone there to guide you on doing what Salukulady said. Otherwise, you'll just be hurting your vocal cords.
    Well I do play Piano and I have done something with arpegios, I just run the 1st Minor 3rd Major 5th and Octave 1st and back down going up in semi-tones from my lowest pictch and then back down again. But I can see what you are saying, that makes sense. I just don't have the time to invest in a vocal coach. That's why I wondered if you had any home remedies. Thanks for the advice though!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland via Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,767

    Default

    Yeah, there's no home remedy but to relax your body, sing from your legs, don't cave in your chest or crow neck your neck. Keep you body relaxed, drop that jaw, breathe from your legs up and push that air out as if blowing through a straw. It's like learning how to drive a manual transmission for the first time.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Middle of 'Merica
    Posts
    4,985

    Default

    It might be a better idea to increase the quality of your head voice. That will also increase your range dramatically.

    Quality head voice begins with good projection. Sing while standing. Fill your lungs by expanding your stomach below the rib cage. Open your mouth wide and let go. A good head voice will sound just like a chest voice, with practice.
    -Alan (UKISOCIETY)

    My muse.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UKISOCIETY View Post
    It might be a better idea to increase the quality of your head voice. That will also increase your range dramatically.

    Quality head voice begins with good projection. Sing while standing. Fill your lungs by expanding your stomach below the rib cage. Open your mouth wide and let go. A good head voice will sound just like a chest voice, with practice.
    I am trying to decrease the voices in my head....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Middle of 'Merica
    Posts
    4,985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deach View Post
    I am trying to decrease the voices in my head....
    I bet there's quite an echo in there!
    -Alan (UKISOCIETY)

    My muse.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland via Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,767

    Default

    It's different for guys and girls, so I thought, but I thought guys generally didn't have head voice.... that head voice was falsetto, and that everything is all chest voice by default.

    Not that it changes the technique of course.

    This is why when you get to a certain level, it's better to have a teacher with your voice type. Any guys here with classical training, clue me in here, do guys have head voice??

    I thought those who had true head voices, the male contraltos, altos and sopranos, were very rare.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •