'Shifting' of 'E' sting on zero fret of Flea soprano?

J_Tay81

Reaction score
I guess the title of this post says it all. I changed out the stock Hilo strings on my Flea soprano for Worth Browns. Now the 'E' string, even when it is all tuned up and tightened down, shifts at the zero fret, just below the plastic nut (the whole fretboard is plastic). It almost sounds and acts like there is a flaw in the zero fret, as though something (a burr?) were sticking up and causing the string to catch on it. Running my fingernail across the fret yielded no useful information (eg - couldn't feel or see squat).

When I play the instrument, the 'E' string gets caught on this phantom flaw and makes a high-pitched 'plinking' noise. None of the other strings do this. I tried slightly filing down the plastic to remove any unseen burrs but it still happens. I find it very annoying.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sorry, my explanation is kind of weird. I included a mini video that should illustrate my issue.
You should able to hear this string catching as I move it with my finger - this happens a lot when chord changing. I've got it tuned to gCEA, so it has the tension, and none of the other strings exhibit this problem. The sound originates at the nut/zero fret. I haven't been able to feel any sort of burrs or flaws in the fret or nut that would make this catching noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA37N1Ll65s

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!

John

is the string wound so that there is an angle down from the nut? In other words, tensioned over the nut.

It looks like it's slipping in the nut grove. Try putting a small piece of paper in there to take up the space and see what it does.

i had my Concert flea fretboard upgraded to rosewood when I discovered after a year of hard playing I had worn grooves in a few frets.

BTW, You mean the 1st fret not the zero fret as per the video.. you have done the same thing, worn a grove in the 1st fret.

fmm will replace it for 10 free for 3 years.. just pay shipping there, or do like me and upgrade! the Rosewood is awesome.

e-mail em, they are very very helpful.

JT

Last edited:
i had my fleas fretboarf upgraded to rosewood whne i discovered after q year of hard playing i has worn grooves in a few frets., and you mean the 1st fret not the zero fret.

as per the video.. you have done the sane thing

fmm will replace it for 10 free for 3 years.. just pay shipping there, or do lke me and upgrade!

JT

So do I just contact Flea Market Music and ship off my uke, and they replace it? Does the rosewood make a difference in sound or playability? Will they just toss on another fretboard, etc?

So do I just contact Flea Market Music and ship off my uke, and they replace it? Does the rosewood make a difference in sound or playability? Will they just toss on another fretboard, etc?

The rosewood plays a bit better I think, but that may just be a prefernce thing, I loved the plastic as well, and the frets will last forever.

contact them, they will tell you exactly what to do.

upgrading to the rosewood only costs about 10 bucks more than if you got it that way in the first place.

is the string wound so that there is an angle down from the nut? In other words, tensioned over the nut.

I rewound the 'C' and the 'E' strings so that they now have an 'underhand' wind as opposed to going over the top of the peg. I think that's what you meant. It looks to have increased tension at the nut on those to strings and alleviated the problem. I included a pic (not a great one) that hopefully shows what I'm talking about. I guess I should wind my other two strings 'underhand' as well so I don't screw myself up while tuning!
100_0755.jpg

Aloha J_Tay81,
I believe you nut slot is way too wide and the string is sliding from side ot side...sorry for late response...MM Stan...
Try putting a thick paper inside the nut groove and put the string in....it's a paper shim...should solve the problem....

Last edited:
I agree w/mmstan, there's a burr or something in the nut slot. Winding the strings "underhand" could cause balky tuning, due to increased friction in the nut slot. If it cured your ills, and you have no difficulty tuning, ignore this post!:p

I agree w/mmstan, there's a burr or something in the nut slot. Winding the strings "underhand" could cause balky tuning, due to increased friction in the nut slot. If it cured your ills, and you have no difficulty tuning, ignore this post!:p

Well, it DID cue my ills, though up where the tuning pegs are, the 'underhand' wound string sits on top of the 'A' sting's tuning peg. What do you mean by balky tuning? Are the Fleas supposed to be wound overhand? I emailed Dale at FMM about this problem and he recommended that I swap string ends; often times that fixes the problem. Whatever end is at the bridge would go to the tuning peg, etc. Personally, I fail to see how that would make a difference, but I'm no expert!

Its not the nut slot - I have an old Flea that does it - it is a case of wear on the zero fret - take your strings off and have a look - i bet you have a little notch in the zero fret - not sure what you can do with it either. Mine has it - I occasionally get the plink you get - but to be honest only if I am rough or bend the strings.

Strumming is fine

Its not the nut slot - I have an old Flea that does it - it is a case of wear on the zero fret - take your strings off and have a look - i bet you have a little notch in the zero fret - not sure what you can do with it either. Mine has it - I occasionally get the plink you get - but to be honest only if I am rough or bend the strings.

Strumming is fine

I messed with the strings a bit too much and broke the Worth Browns :(
But I slapped some D'Addarios on there and they seem to be fine.
There is a small notch in the fret, too.

What do you mean by balky tuning?

Have you ever tried to tighten a string just a bit, and felt/heard a tiny "ping" sound - and then the string is too sharp? This can occur if there is excess friction between the string and the nut slot (e.g. - the nut slot is too tight, pinching the string). It can also occur from other sources of friction, in your case, having bent the string excessively over the nut by winding the string "underhanded". If this isn't happening, please ignore my post again!

What do you mean by balky tuning?

Have you ever tried to tighten a string just a bit, and felt/heard a tiny "ping" sound - and then the string is too sharp? This can occur if there is excess friction between the string and the nut slot (e.g. - the nut slot is too tight, pinching the string). It can also occur from other sources of friction, in your case, having bent the string excessively over the nut by winding the string "underhanded". If this isn't happening, please ignore my post again!

Ingrate,

This actually was happening with the Worth Browns. I tried to re-string them, but snapped a string and then strung the Flea with D'Addarios. I strung them 'overhand' and they don't appear to shift in the bridge or at the nut like the Worths did. All is well as of this point. Thanks!

Digging up an old thread here, but I'm finding the same thing on my Flea on the "E" string specifically. And with Worth Clears. So it must be that the Worth E string is too narrow. I get the same plinking sound that J_Tay81 was getting. More of a minor annoyance. I never got it on the Aquila's that it came with. Perhaps Worth's are narrower.

Top Bottom