do 12 fret models sound better?

clayton56

Reaction score
I was strumming away on my Loprinzi soprano, and it was ringing quite nicely. Loud, too. It's a 12-fret soprano. I was wondering if the fact that there's less fingerboard overlapping the soundboard enhances the vibrations.

I guess the best test is comparing two of the same model, one with 12 frets and one with 17 and an overlapping fingerboard.

Another uke of mine that really rings out is the Koaloha soprano and it also has 12 frets.

Some of our first models were based on old Cuatro designs - ukes were once the same way - without any fretboard at all. Frets set directly into the neck. Then we went to the other extreme, with a fretboard that has a flemenco style and goes all the way to the soundhole.

I remember asking Omar Corrales (who is the true luthier in our operation) if he thought it might effect the sound in any way. His reply was that if I could hear the difference then my ears were better than his. Almost all the volume on his soundboards come from below the hole.

I could never tell a difference either.

Last edited:
As a strummer, primarily, 12 frets seem to be A-OK.

I also prefer playing Sopranos so the only difficulty I
encounter is when I occasionally need to dip below the 10th fret,
which is rare indeed.

12 frets rule! (although it's comforting when more frets are
available... just in case)

Keep uke'in',

I have old ukes that fretboards are flush and stop at the body.......no difference to me...

I'd say it's very hard to prove any audible difference. Besides the difference in the fretboard, every uke sounds a little different, whether that has to do with the particular piece of wood for the top or the amount of glue used or a dozen other factors that all come into play. You'd really have to do a large sound sampling of alot of ukes to make a fair comparison on something like that.

My Martin's fretboard goes all the way to sound hole, and it is the loudest Uke I have ever played- tons of sustain too.

Steve Boisen of the Barnkickers believes that twelve-fret ukes have better clearance for fingerpicking style.

but he is a hack.

we all know that. right mike?

My wife wants to move to Florida, but on the east coast. Even if we do that, I'll have to visit you wacky guys (TBUS) from time to time, just for the comic relief.

When I am faced with a dilemma like this... I shut up and play my Uke!

I have to agree with the guy from SouthCoastUkes,

I remember asking Omar Corrales (who is the true luthier in our operation) if he thought it might effect the sound in any way. His reply was that if I could hear the difference then my ears were better than his. Almost all the volume on his soundboards come from below the hole.

Just looking at the construction of a uke and where the vibrations of the soundboard occur, I don't think the soundboard above the sound hole contributes much at all to the sound. Of course I almost never play above the 5th fret anyway, so wadduino?

Top Bottom