Electric upright basses

Baby Bass

I have got EUB baby bass that sounds like Ampeg baby bass.
I do not know if that is what you looking for, but here is the link of how it looks and sounds: www.kkbaby-bass.com

There seems to be quite a bit on the Net about DIY (depending on your woodworking skills). I looked into this a while ago and for me the best was to convert a cheap baritone uke to bass uke. Then I got an Ibanez Mikro Bass Guitar for under $200 US that is fabulous! 28.6 inch scale and about the size of an electric guitar so it's easy to truck around. I run it through a Zoom B1 which does have a defret effect that works well. If you put flatwound strings on it then you would get closer to the upright bass sound.

The Dean Pace really is just a fretless neck that's played vertically. The radius on the fingerboard is minimal if any, which makes bowing it not an option. The scale is also that of an electric bass which, while it allows you to use the same strings that you would for an electric bass (and not shell out $100+ on URB strings), will not help someone that's used to playing the 41-42" length of an URB.

I have an NS Design CR-5M EUB, and that thing sounds better than half of the URBs that I've played in the same price point. Their NXT series (which is the lower model) has a lot of the same benefits and feel as the CR series, but the electronics are simplified and the hardware isn't as sturdy/durable.

I ended up buying a five-string Ergo though Kijiji and it's GREAT. Plays like a real upright - bowing too (have to learn to do that... but it came with a bow so I can practice). Sound is really powerful when run through a decent bass amp. Five strings is cool, too; got that really low Bb.

Top Bottom