A useful little gadget, ?????

pastyman

Reaction score
A friend of mine sent me this:View attachment Visio-transpose wheel[1].pdfgemima headlining 005.JPGgemima headlining 004.JPG

I hope I have manged to download these ok.

So the sheet shows two discs marked out with chords.
Cut around both discs and stick them to a piece of card.
Place the smaller card over the larger one and fix through the middle with a paper fastener or something similar.
Thats it. you now have a device to enable you transpose songs in one key to another.

Use the outer disc to find the progression you know and turn the disc to the new key and raed off the new progression.
That is not a good description.. If you play a song in say C and want to play it in A then line the A on the smaller disc with the C on the larger one and then read off the progression you want.

I hope this may be of use to you .

OOps, was I wrong in thinking this is a useful tool, No comments on it . I wonder if it would have been better in the Beginners section.

Dont feel shy about telling me its a load of c.... p,

Thanks. It"ll be handy for many of us.

I'm going to print it out and give it a shot. I have friends that can just do this on the fly, but it takes me too long to work it out in my head. I'm an engineer so I think methodically and technically about things (even music). This seems to me to be a good visual way to see how to transpose. Maybe eventually it will then come naturally.

I thought it sounded very cool. I am just getting to the point that I want to start to transpose songs so I can sing them easier. but I want to buy one already made. To many other things I would rather be, or must be,doing then making the wheel.

Roxhum

This is very helpful!

Thank you very much!

OOps, was I wrong in thinking this is a useful tool, No comments on it . I wonder if it would have been better in the Beginners section.

Dont feel shy about telling me its a load of c.... p,

It's a superb idea and will be an excellent tool for lots of people. I don't need it myself now, but I would have loved it years past (I used something similar, but it wasn't mechanically mobile and thus more cumbersome). Those who don't know how to transpose in the head should really build that tool, it seems simple enough to make - and using it will also speed up the understanding of keys and soon you'll be able to transpose without it - while otherwise you may never try and thus never figure it out.

Here's one I made, with both large and small versions in one file. The large wheel is for those of us whose eyes need more help... easier to see.
chord change wheel
Works best if you can print it in colour. I laminated mine, then assembled the two parts. Helps keep it stiff and more durable if laminated.
chord_wheel_01.jpg

Top Bottom