FYI - Uke Strings

The Fluorocarbons I've listened to sound cheap and toy like in comp to the Aquilas.

Which brand of fluoros are you referring to? I believe a great number will disagree with you based on their own experiences with them. Some prefer one brand over another while some will favor nylon or in your case, gut. I also believe the build and wood combo will play a factor in sound.

I just got a set of SouthCoast HML-FW (Flat Wound Strings) for my Griffin ukulele. Amazing Clarity and Sound. I've been a SC Linear Fan using the Round Wound Series but Dirk sent me a set and I am pretty amazed. I think these will now replace the Round Wounds going forward.

I've seen lots of post about polished and squeak free strings and never imagined I would use them for my Low G setup but I have to agree with everyone now, they are nice on the fingers.

Put these strings on your list to try - I think they will amaze you.

Bb Tuning

I really like the sound of my tenor uke in Bb tuning. Unfortunately the strings I have on it right now lose their intonation when tuned down to Bb flat from C (in Bb tuning, the reduction in tension on the open strings currently fitted means that every fretted note goes badly sharp).

Are there any tenor string sets in the list that can cope with Bb tuning, that anyone knows of? TIA.

The "String Types (Ukulele World)" link doesn't work anymore. I did a quick search on that site, but couldn't find what the new link should be.

Steel strings are the loudest, Big Dipper.

Steel strings aren't really an option for ukuleles built to support nylon/fluorocarbon strings. Steel strings produce much higher tension than non-steel strings and can damage an ukulele not built for them.

What's difficult about the question is that "loud" comes in several flavors. My own experience is that Aquila nylguts are the "brashest" strings. I prefer fluorocarbons -- Oasis and Worth, for example, which are loud to my ear without sounding harsh. But as someone pointed out earlier in this thread, build is an important factor. Every KoAloha I've ever heard is loud, seemingly without regard to what the strings are made of, although I'm sure some strings sound better on them than others.

Any one try Nicola Brand Strings ; they're white fluorocarbon .

https://www.nicolastrings.com/store/c20/Ukulele

s570300203421646351_p82_i9_w412.jpeg

I tried the concert . Don't do it.
A weird , unwieldy , thick , milky white , unplayable set that seemed like a blend of nylon , nylgut , and fluorocarbon .
Sorry , I don't recall the sound well enough to describe other than I didn't like it at all .
Highly unrecommended .
Let us know your thoughts after you've tried them . :)
https://www.stringupunlimited.com/ukulele-collection.html

Nicola-NCFC.jpg

Thank you DJ for the unrecommendation, scratching these off my sets to try list.

Thank you DJ for the unrecommendation, scratching these off my sets to try list.
Your welcome . Of course that was just my experience .
Now I'm curious to try them again :)

Which ukulele(s) do you play and what type music ?

Your welcome . Of course that was just my experience .
Now I'm curious to try them again :)

Which ukulele(s) do you play and what type music ?
Kala KA B currently with PhD set and Pono MB with the Aho set from TUS. Tried gcea on Kala but both a strings broke in a week. Has me thinking of buying an all wood tenor next.

Right now still learning to play and struggling to practice enough to be consistent. Goal is to eventually be semi proficient playing wide range of music from classical thru 30's folk/country and modern era music that fits the uke as well as just plunking along making sound combos that sound good. Shanties appeal as does doom metal like Avatarium which doesn't have screaming vocals.

same question for you, what ukes and what music?

Kala KA B currently with PhD set and Pono MB with the Aho set from TUS. Tried gcea on Kala but both a strings broke in a week. Has me thinking of buying an all wood tenor next.

Right now still learning to play and struggling to practice enough to be consistent. Goal is to eventually be semi proficient playing wide range of music from classical thru 30's folk/country and modern era music that fits the uke as well as just plunking along making sound combos that sound good. Shanties appeal as does doom metal like Avatarium which doesn't have screaming vocals.

same question for you, what ukes and what music?
Speaking of broken strings , forgot to mention one of the Nicola strings broke during stringing . They're brittle ; at least my set was .
Currently have a Makai Solid Mango Series Concert Ukulele MC-90 and Martin C1K , Concert Koa .
Hawaiian .

After trying pretty much all the string brands (except Living Waters, one of these days I’ll order a set), I’ve come to prefer Martin fluorocarbons. They settle in quickly and stay in tune consistently once they’re stretched. I also like they’re not super expensive and can be found in pretty much any music store, both brick and online.

Strings FYI
One of the most recurring question on the UU Forums concerns strings. There are numerous threads regarding string selection, recommendations and what would be the “best” string set available. Strings are by far the best inexpensive upgrade you can do to get your instrument to sound better. There are several string manufacturers often mentioned and popular among the members are Aquila and Worth. Other popular string sets are from Southcoast, D’Addario, Fremont, Hilo and Ko’olau. A number of members use classical guitar string sets from Savarez and D’Addario.

Selecting a string set is purely subjective and a matter of personal preference. Keep in mind the set you totally rave about may not work for others. Consider factors such as build and tonewood combinations as well as tone, feel and playability. As your skill develops, you’ll probably change your string preference to a certain brand. Please keep in mind, this thread is informational and will not advise you which string is recommended or considered best.

String Types
  • Gut
  • Nylon
  • Fluorocarbon
  • Synthetic Gut
String Types
String Types (Ukulele World)

String Manufacturers A - L
  • Aquila Ukulele Strings
    Introduction: The development of a new synthetic material that can imitate the acoustical characteristics of gut but without the typical defects such as high cost, short string life, and severe instability to changes of climate, has always been a fundamental goal of Aquila's research. Nylgut is the result. Nylgut's formula is protected by U.S. and International patents.

Technical Characteristics and Field of Application: Nylgut has a specific density and acoustical qualities nearly identical to that of gut, and is the first truly successful synthetic version of the natural product.

Other strong points of Nylgut are its elevated resistance to wear under tension-greater than that of gut-but even more important is its extraordinary immunity to changes of climate, considerably better than that of Nylon and thereby ensuring a superior stability of tuning under normal conditions.

Aquila has also developed a Bionylon string, a new polymer said to be mellower than Nylgut. Elderly has them in stock and I suspect other distributors have them or will have them by January 2011.

Excerpt from Just Strings . . .

http://aquilacorde.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=96&Itemid=1656&lang=en
  • Aurora
    . . . made specifically for ukuleles. Our Silkgut ukulele strings provide a warm long lasting tone and available in a multitude of colors. Order direct from manufacturer's website.
  • Black Diamond
  • Bushman
    Bushman strings are made in the USA using an easy-push, long-lasting, tune-holding formula that's stronger than nylon and sounds better - more melodic, less "staticky" - than gut.

Available in C tuning and Low G for Sopranos, Concerts and Tenors.
  • D’Addario
    Nylon Strings: J65 (Soprano) J-53 (Concert - Black), J54 (Concert - Black, wound C), J68 (Bari)
    Pro Arte: J71(Tenor), J92(Concert)
    Pro Arte Classical Guitar Sets; See Classical Guitar Strings on 6 and 8 String Tenors in the "Links" section. EJ45 (Normal), EJ46 (Hard)
    T2 Titanium Trebles; T45 (Normal), T46 (Hard)
  • Dunlop Ukulele Strings
  • Fremont
    A clear Flurocarbon string made in Japan. Also available are Blacklines (Black Flurocarbon strings) as well as a wound squeakless low G single (Soloist).
  • Galli Ukulele Strings An Italian string company offering Bionylon and Fluorocarbon strings. Available through dealers online (Strings By Mail, Just Strings, Musicians Friend, Amazon).
  • GHS
  • Guadalupe - order direct 2610 E CHAVEZ AVE SUITE C, Los Angeles, California 90033
    323-266-2242
  • Hilo
    Hilo strings are made from a special type of black nylon called Tynex. Hilo strings are more resistant to moisture absorption than other types of nylon. Hilo Tynex strings are custom ground to close tolerances helping to insure Hilo strings will play in tune, stay in tune, and have a long playing life.
  • John Pearse Nylon Filament Wound on Nylon
  • Kala
    • Reds
      Kala Ukulele teams up with renowned String Artisans LaBella to create a unique string set for Ukulele. Discover incredible tone, volume and clarity that come from this handcrafted wound string. Note: Kala Red string sets are cut to length. Do not cut the Red Wound strings(C and E strings) or they will unravel.
    • Pearl New
      These unique microwound strings designed for ukulele are made with a special thin polyamide, flat wound over a nylon multifilament core that produce a unique combination of brilliance, projection and deep tone.
  • Kamaka
  • Ko’olau
    Gold series 'Ukulele Strings are professional quality strings, preferred by performers and recording artists. Note; Gold Series back by popular demand
    Alohi (Hawaiian for brilliance, pronouced A-lo-hee) Crafted from a dense monofilament material that has an attractive, translucent purple hue. They have a polished, smooth feel analogous to nylon, but with a slightly brighter tone and increased projection.
    Mahana (Hawaiian for warmth) strings are sorted by a sophisticated computer-controlled laser machine which performs diameter/tension measurements and quality check, insuring true sounding, precise tone in every set. Mahana strings are also a very high quality nylon material, clear instead of yellow, and gauging has been slightly modified. Excellent tone and intonation, similar to the Gold Series.
    • Mahana string packaging is a mango yellow color, actually made from mango fruit waste.
    • ‘Alohi string packaging is a pale gray color, actually made from banana fruit waste.
  • LaBella New string selections.
  • Living Water Strings These sets are assembled in the UK by Ken Middleton and they have gotten very positive reviews. The following is an excerpt from Ken's site:
Magma makes Microwound Ukulele Strings too which once again are thin flat nylon tape (sometimes Metal Flatwound too) on a multi-filament nylon core. Magma Ukulele strings are inexpensive & what I do rather cleverly here is I tie Guitar string ball ends onto the ends of the strings so that they can be converted into tie end strings to allow for more break angle over the saddle.

Top Bottom