Ukulele goals for 2011

Miss Michele

Reaction score
I hope everyone had a great Holiday! Mine was just like any other day I guess. I had to work, unfortunatley, so I had to miss all the fun, including my best friends boyfriend proposing to her! I promised myself on Christmas, that I would NEVER work another holiday again!

I don't believe in New Years Resolutions. I set goals for myself. I feel the word resolution is SO overused. Nobody completes them anyway, right?

I do have a few personal goals, but for this forum, I will list my UKULELE goals (in no specific order).

1. Buy a new ukuele! lol

2. Teach myself fingerstyle uke

3. Work on more chord progressions

4. FINALLY post a video on UU!

5. Play well enough to be able to have an audience

6. Write a second new original song

There are more goals, but there are too many to list! Do you have any UKULELE goals for the year 2011?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! :D

I hope everyone had a great Holiday! Mine was just like any other day I guess. I had to work, unfortunatley, so I had to miss all the fun, including my best friends boyfriend proposing to her! I promised myself on Christmas, that I would NEVER work another holiday again!

I don't believe in New Years Resolutions. I set goals for myself. I feel the word resolution is SO overused. Nobody completes them anyway, right?

I do have a few personal goals, but for this forum, I will list my UKULELE goals (in no specific order).

1. Buy a new ukuele! lol

2. Teach myself fingerstyle uke

3. Work on more chord progressions

5. Play well enough to be able to have an audience

6. Write a second new original song

There are more goals, but there are too many to list! Do you have any UKULELE goals for the year 2011?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! :D

Happy New Year to you too!!

Good for you for writing down your goals!

1. play more solo gigs, which includes...
  2. get more burlesque/cabaret/neo-vaudeville gigs, which includes...
  3. working up a few more "naughty" songs for my collection.
  4. make lots more videos.
  5. improve the production standards of said videos.
  6. record at least a couple EPs worth of tunes, which of course means...
  7. write more original material.
That ought to keep me busy a while.

Yeah resolution to me sounds like there's a problem to be resolved but playing the ukulele isn't a problem.

I just want to stick at it this time and keep active and learn along the way, no real goals as such, just continued progression.

Heya HH! I've missed ya! Love the tie, makes you look like a dapper & repectable gentleman!

My goals:
1.Performing more gigs for seniors
2.Performing a coffeehouse open mic gig or two
3.Get comfortable playing in more keys
4.Memorize some more songs
5.Learn a chord solo
6.Learn a fingerstyle piece
7. Attend either Augusta Swing Week or James Hill's Uke Certification program in 2011
8. HAVE FUN!!

I know what you mean about working holidays. I've worked the past 16 Thanksgivings in a row, and this was only my 3rd Christmas off in 15 1/2 years. I have the kind of job that can't close down for holidays, and you pretty much just get them off if they fall on your regular days off (mine are Sunday/Monday), or if you take a vacation, or if (as in my case this year) you flex your seniority and use it as your holiday. We get 10 paid holidays throughout the year, and so pretty much get a 3 day weekend once a month except in February and August. It's complicated...
Yeah.. Ukulele goals for 2011:
1) Go to the Denver Uke Fest (I have my tickets already) this past February. I went in '09, but could only stay for 1/2 the day. I had a bass gig here at home (5 1/2 hrs from Denver) that evening. I'd only been playing uke for about a month, so I was kind of overwhelmed by everything. I went to a workshop on finger-picking taught by Aaron Keim (of Bean Sprout Ukes and the Boulder Acoustic Society, but I didn't know of either of those things at the time!), and looked at a lot of ukes for sale. I couldn't afford anything at the time. It might be different this year! I had PLANNED to go to the 2010 Fest in February, but one of my oldest friends got married in Wyoming that day. It was his first marriage, at age 44, and something we thought would never happen, so I really couldn't miss that!
2) Have some sort of Custom Soprano made. I'm currently in the "Research Phase" on that little project, but I have a couple of ideas and contacts.
3) Continue to improve my playing, which would be helped a lot by playing with other people, who could be playing uke or guitar or anything really. There aren't really any other ukulele players around that I am aware of.
4) Find (or CREATE!) other ukulele players in my area.

Mine...
1.Keep playing as much as I am now
2.Get better
3.Build a solid body steel string electric, because I can't afford the Risa LP (and really want it to be a pineapple)

My goals are:
Keep having fun with the uke.
Attend festivals and workshops.
Jam with friends.
I have started teaching, I find great joy in sharing. I want to improve my teaching techniques.

I don't believe in New Years Resolutions. I set goals for myself. 5. Play well enough to be able to have an audience

My guess would be you probably already do (play well enough). Most of us are way to hard on ourselves.

You don't have to play (sing, dance, etc.) perfectly - all you have to do is be entertaining - if you achieve that goal you're already in the top 2.3%* of the world's population - everything above that is just polish and experience!

John

* 97.6% of statistics are made up on the spot...

My goals....hmmm...top 5:

1) NOT buy any more ukes (caveat - unless I first dispose of one of my existing instruments...not necessarily a uke...this leaves me lots of wiggle room...) LOL

2) Get lots, lots better at fingerstyle uke.

3) Work up ukulele versions, and do "full production" YouTube videos of them, of at least two of my original songs.

4) Do at least one long-distance YouTube collaboration (the biggest obstacle here will probably be finding someone who wants to collaborate with me!). I guess you could also call this goal, "rein in my ascerbic personality."

5) Attend at least one ukulele "event." Since the DFW area is not exactly a hotbed of ukulele activity this probably means I'll also have to finally take a "real" vacation even if only a few days in duration.

John

Great goals Michele... LOVE THEM...

for me pretty similar...
1. work on feeling comfortable with my singing
2. work on strumming- better rhythm.
3. Post a PUBLIC video (or at least share unlisted one with UU'ers)
4.write a song
5. work on feeling more confident playing in front of and with others. (attending uke night or starting my own. Gave my friend a uke for Christmas!)
6. Write a song... lots of lyrics need to learn more about theory etc...

Think that's more than enough.. Love everyones goals....

My goals....hmmm...top 5:

1) NOT buy any more ukes (caveat - unless I first dispose of one of my existing instruments...not necessarily a uke...this leaves me lots of wiggle room...) LOL

2) Get lots, lots better at fingerstyle uke.

3) Work up ukulele versions, and do "full production" YouTube videos of them, of at least two of my original songs.

4) Do at least one long-distance YouTube collaboration (the biggest obstacle here will probably be finding someone who wants to collaborate with me!). I guess you could also call this goal, "rein in my ascerbic personality."

5) Attend at least one ukulele "event." Since the DFW area is not exactly a hotbed of ukulele activity this probably means I'll also have to finally take a "real" vacation even if only a few days in duration.

John

You could always come to the Denver Uke Fest... first weekend in February. A GREAT time to travel from DFW to Denver!

Finally get around to recording something I can post, probably on YouTube. And work a LOT more on my bass playing to accompany myself on my recording.

Aloha Miss Michele,
I know how you feel on working on holidays...that a bummer.....I hope you have a Happy New Year!!! girl..
As for New years resoulations, I like to set some attainable ones and your picked some good ones...
I guess my ukulele goals are:
continue to improve in my playing
be a better singer and not scare people away..he he
Get me a great sounding ukulele...I know I know...I've got many...can't help myself here...
be able to play more without my back bothering me....
and as always, make more ukulele friends here on the forums and at home...
Learn to use the computer more efficiently...
I wish you all a Happy New Year!!! MM Stan....

Last edited:
Hi Michelle

I worked Christmas Eve and Christmas day too, same for New Year's Eve and New Years day. Oh well...

My "uke related" goals are similar to everyone elses, but I think my main three are:

(1) to learn how to use a computer better, so's I can post some videos on you tube to share with my UU friends. I am horribly technologically illiterate.

(2) to rein in my out of control UAS so there is still some money in my poor ol' bank account

(3) to spend more time playing ukulele and a little less time on the UU so I can become a better player

More general goals:

(1) get better control of my poor health so my quality of life improves

(2) try to be a better husband and dad, and to tell my family I love them more often

This is a wonderful site and I just want to wish all of you a happy new year and blessings for a safe, healthy and productive 2011.

My only Uke goal is as follows:

Keep having fun playing.

I tend to get completely engrossed in things and they become like a job. I just want to enjoy the Uke for the rest of my life. If I ever become really good at it, great. If I only amuse myself, then so be it. As long as I still love playing, I'll be thrilled.

My uke goal?

Not to smash one over anyone's head in 2011.

2010 was touch and go a few times.

Top Bottom