Bar/Barre Chords

While learning barre chords or guitar in general it may help to reduce string tension by tuning all strings down a full step until your callouses (?) form or your finger strength increases. If you need to play with others you can capo up 2 (but still have lower tension).

However, there is no getting around hours of practice. My first teacher said to expect 6 months work to get the fully barred F chord. If anything, she underestimated the time.

Hmmm I better get busy and find those hand/finger strengtheners I have packed away somewhere or other ...

Barr chords should really be considered as an intermediate level technique. One can play dozens and dozens of songs without Barr chords, there are alternatives and work arounds.

When learning a new instrument first we crawl, then we walk, then we run. Forget about Barr chords until you have mastered at least 15-20 open chords.

According to my son, if I'm not using Barre chords wherever possible, I'm "doin' it wrong" LOL! He plays electric bass. However, given the state of my hands/fingers, the hand/finger exercisers can't hurt, even in the short term. Couldn't hurt when it comes to my sax(es) and alto clarinet either.

According to my son, if I'm not using Barre chords wherever possible, I'm "doin' it wrong" LOL! He plays electric bass. However, given the state of my hands/fingers, the hand/finger exercisers can't hurt, even in the short term. Couldn't hurt when it comes to my sax(es) and alto clarinet either.

Understood and strengthening one hands along with learning new techniques is always admiral. In another thread you mentioned going as low as extra light 9-46 gauge strings to help you with ease of play. Implementing Barr chords is going in the opposite direction. But who knows maybe they will come easily for you, it happens, have fun and have at it.

Pyewacket, Here's what is meant by "shape" ( I think).​

A closed chord shape can be moved up and down the fingerboard in order to obtain the required chord. The shape of the chord will determine the type of chord, Ma, mi, 7, dim. . ., but not the letter name of the chord. This means that, theoretically, one shape gives you 12 chords, although some of those may be too far up the neck to be useful.​

Here are some very sloppily drawn examples of some useful shapes.​

Chord shapes 2.jpg

Tell your son that there's no right or wrong, just different.
Well, I guess there certainly is "wrong", but "If it sounds good, it IS good".​

Understood and strengthening one hands along with learning new techniques is always admiral. In another thread you mentioned going as low as extra light 9-46 gauge strings to help you with ease of play. Implementing Barr chords is going in the opposite direction. But who knows maybe they will come easily for you, it happens, have fun and have at it.
I don't expect to be able to do it (manage barre chords) any time soon. I guess being a potter doesn't strengthen the fingers that much LOL!

Anyway I figure doing exercises to stretch and strengthen is part and parcel of getting to be able to play ALL of my instruments more easily, and likely will help with my pottery as well.

The lighter strings are for a guitar. I'm doing fine with the nylgut/flurocarbon strings on my ukuleles. I have a soprano pineapple and a tenor. The tenor is noticeably more difficult than the pineapple, but very doable. Those heavy steel strings on the guitar - nope. Not within my grasp.

If I'm using barre chords where individual fingers are possible, I'm "doin' it" wrong.
The reasoning is the ability to lift or slide a finger or two on way to the next chord

Last edited:
The lighter strings are for a guitar. I'm doing fine with the nylgut/flurocarbon strings on my ukuleles. I have a soprano pineapple and a tenor. The tenor is noticeably more difficult than the pineapple, but very doable. Those heavy steel strings on the guitar - nope. Not within my grasp.
I like the "silk and steel" strings for guitar. A lot of brands make them. They are much softer on the fingers and lighter tension. Personally I like the ones made by Pyramid as well as the Ernie Ball Earthwoods extra soft.

With barre chords it also helps to use the weight of your arm to pull back on the strings instead of just relying on the clamping strength of your fingers. Personally I never found making the chords to be difficult, for me it's the transitions. I just cannot change to barre chords quickly.

Top Bottom