Thread: (Yet another) Want to Buy thread... humor me :-)

Cool (Yet another) Want to Buy thread... humor me :-)

So, I sort of spoiled myself... my first ukulele is a Pono concert that I got on trade-in. It is an AMAZING instrument, and I love it! BUT... UAS is setting in quickly... like after a week quickly :-). However, being a mild-mannered pastor in my real life, budget is also an issue (a BIG issue).

So here's what I'm looking for:

~ bright and plucky tone (think traditional island feeling)
    ~ concert size (tenor gets a bit too deep for me, and 'soprano neck to tiny for giant fingers'... a super soprano or something would work too)
    ~ solid wood if at all possible (something other than mahogany... I want something different :-))
    ~ hard case (I like my instruments safe)
    ~$350 would be about as far as I could stretch (it would take a funeral or two, but I could swing it. Not that I'd CAUSE the funeral mind you... )

I am more than happy to buy used if it has been taken care of.

As an added incentive, if your help is directly responsible to me getting my second ukulele, I promise to play the song of your choice on that uke DURING A CHURCH SERVICE and send you a video. ANY SONG.

~m
    Last edited by Merit; 07-07-2008 at 02:16 PM.

Price range?

*slaps forehead* I knew I forgot something! And I tried so hard to be the informative, clear poster... dang... .

I'll edit the original post right now, but $350 would be about as far as I could stretch (it would take a funeral or two, but I could swing it. Not that I'd CAUSE the funeral mind you... )

http://cgi.ebay.com/KOA-PILI-KOKO-SO...742.m153.l1262

If you want something really different, look into the Flukes/Fleas.

Now will you play AC/DC's Big Balls during a service?

Quote Originally Posted by deach View Post

Now will you play AC/DC's Big Balls during a service?
    haha, deach for the win!

See, that's what I was THINKING of getting if I were to order a new one from MGM (I've already orders Aquillas from him, as well as bending his ear on the long necked sopranos). But I thought I would post here to see if anyone had a used uke or another suggestion.

I was taking a look at the Fleas, but by the time you put on a rosewood fingerboard... might as well buy a solid wood one. Now a USED flea or fluke... maybe...

If I go with the KPK, Big Balls it is. I'll even get someone to yell out "but we've got the biggest/balls of them all!" with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Merit View Post
    I was taking a look at the Fleas, but by the time you put on a rosewood fingerboard... might as well buy a solid wood one. Now a USED flea or fluke... maybe...
    What's wrong with the non-rosewood one? You can get a Concert with a hardshell case for under $300

Quote Originally Posted by Merit View Post
    If I go with the KPK, Big Balls it is. I'll even get someone to yell out "but we've got the biggest/balls of them all!" with me.
    That would be epic!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by deach View Post
    What's wrong with the non-rosewood one? You can get a Concert with a hardshell case for under $300
    Just tone difference. I know a lot of people say that the fretboard material makes very little difference, but the sound of a Flea/Fluke with the molded board is not my thing. In fact, the tone all together isn't my favorite, which is sort of why I'd get a used one. Of course, UAS will probably win out one day and I'll get one.

Man, I'm a spoiled rotten little child
    Last edited by Merit; 07-07-2008 at 03:21 PM.

UPDATE: I may have a line on a (VERY gently) used Bushman Koa Concert... stay tuned

Thread Information