Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about banjolele head replacement (with pics!)

Default Question about banjolele head replacement (with pics!)

Last night I replaced the old paper (seriously, it was paper) vellum/head that my vintage banjo uke came with with a goatskin head. I tightened down the brackets a bit to keep it in place, allowing it to dry without any wrinkles on the playing surface. I was going to tighten the head down more but it is already pretty much hard as a board, with just a slight 'give' under thumb pressure. My other concern is that I don't know if the tension hoop is down far enough. With the new bridge in place it looks like the strings will clear it, but I'm afraid the action may be too high. Should the tension hoop be this high off the head? Can I tighten it more (once dry) and get it lower? As of this writing the head has been drying for about 17 hours now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Makala Dolphin (Yellow Burst) soprano
    Fluke Flea Tiki King soprano
    Fluke Concert 'Natural Finish', with pickup
    Sprucehouse SO soprano
    Ohana PK25g Solid Mahogany Pineapple Soprano
    --- All held up with a Uke Leash (thanks Lori!)

Looks to me like you have to put on a new head. I've put on two heads on banjoleles and I put the tension hoop much lower when it was wet.
    I brought the ring down near the height of the head ( when it was wet ) and have had no problems.
    Last edited by Pukulele Pete; 01-04-2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: brain farts

Quote Originally Posted by Pukulele Pete View Post
    Looks to me like you have to put on a new head. I've put on two heads on banjoleles and I put the tension hoop much lower.
    I brought the ring down near the height of the head and have had no problems.
    I haven't attempted to do a final tightening. This was just to keep the head taught and in place while it dries. It's just that at this point, the head is pretty stiff. I read that when it dries totally, it can take more tension. Hopefully I can get by without doing a new head. It was a pain trying to get the old flesh hoop any lower that I did...

Sprucehouse SO soprano

I don't think you will be able to tighten it enough. But ......Good Luck

Thanks! Hopefully the thing doesn't rip apart. But if I have to put another head on, I'll just chalk this up to a learning experience.

Sprucehouse SO soprano

After 17 hours, it's pretty much set, but I can see there's some play still. Try it and see. Remember to tight the opposite tension hooks and go around the head that way to bring the tension down evenly. The time to bring it close to the level of the neck is when you first attach it. It's still wet and there's still plenty of play in the wire.

If you can't get it lower, I'd say try it again. Don't worry, I bought two heads for my first try. After that first one, which wasn't going to work - I had it on upside down, I've never had another problem!

Pretty soon, Loreley will be luring sailors onto the rocks - or something. Maybe that isn't actually something you'd want!

Well, I'll pass on the sailors, but I'll take the rest of your advice. Appreciate it!

Sprucehouse SO soprano

OK, I've been tightening the tension ring down by 1/4 turns all around. I've got the tension ring even with the end of the neck of the fret board, but it still sticks out away from the head by ~ 1/4 inch. I don't have a spare set of strings around that I can test out...Do you think that will be good enough? I did just order another piece of goat skin from ukulele world just in case...

John

Sprucehouse SO soprano

Quote Originally Posted by J_Tay81 View Post
    OK, I've been tightening the tension ring down by 1/4 turns all around. I've got the tension ring even with the end of the neck of the fret board, but it still sticks out away from the head by ~ 1/4 inch. I don't have a spare set of strings around that I can test out...Do you think that will be good enough? I did just order another piece of goat skin from ukulele world just in case...

John

If the tension hoop clears the end of the fret board, you should be o.k.
    Try putting a straight edge along the frets to make sure it is down far enough. The string action can be adjusted by bridge height.

Bill

I'm wondering if the goatskin is too thick for the ring to come down to where it should be. The heads I put on were "vellum"
    and were like a sheet of paper., pretty thin.

Thread Information