Gstring & crayon?

Gmoney

Reaction score
So, bought Nuprin's Gstring (thanks, bruddah!) & he was under the impression that it was a "second" and had noted earlier that it had some intonation issues around the 12th fret. It was sold to Nuprin as a "second" as well due to what appears to be a green mark on the wooden Gstring label in the soundhole. (pictured)

WP_000149.jpgWP_000148.jpg

So, I thought I'd try & track down the original owner(s) & Nuprin helped me w/the first link in the chain. And back to the original owner, it seems that this uke was purchased NEW in August 2003 and is NOT a second! The original owner thinks that one of his younger kids (at the time) probably marked it w/crayon or marker. So, my question? Anybody got a good way to easily remove crayon or green marker from the inside of the uke? I'm not sure I really care, but wanted to at least try in case there are other markings under the crayon/markings. (the S/N is: TD 08983)

I've used Gstring's website contact form to ask them about the uke & would like to try & get the intonation fixed either by them or a local luthier.

Love finding out where this uke originated & who has had it before me.

You can take what I write for what its worth (ie. the time it takes me to write this!)

GString is out of business. Its operations are closed up and the owner, Derek, moved to the Big Island. I spoke with Sam at Larry's Music on Kauai last week and he said his remaining stock of GStrings are being sold without warranty as the company is no longer in business. I spoke with one of the owner's of Good Guys Music in Honolulu yesterday and he said he believed Derek was only finishing up the outstanding work he had with existing orders.

Conclusion, try and find a local luthier to correct the intonation on your G String.

You can take what I write for what its worth (ie. the time it takes me to write this!)

GString is out of business. Its operations are closed up and the owner, Derek, moved to the Big Island. I spoke with Sam at Larry's Music on Kauai last week and he said his remaining stock of GStrings are being sold without warranty as the company is no longer in business. I spoke with one of the owner's of Good Guys Music in Honolulu yesterday and he said he believed Derek was only finishing up the outstanding work he had with existing orders.

Conclusion, try and find a local luthier to correct the intonation on your G String.

Nuprin said he had heard that they were out of business also. Bummer - sure made pretty sweet instruments! James Hill's ukes are pretty special & I love the Sun concert model. I'll hook up w/my local luthier... I need to establish that relationship anyway.

Any idea on the crayon/marker removal? [and I'm going to be putting the original friction tuners back on it... I prefer them myself.]

Careful with the Mr. Cleans, they are a micro fine abrasive. Great for walls because they take some of the paint off too, so get the marks off, but might take the ink off of a label.

I'd rather have crayon on my label than a damaged label anytime...adds to the mystery of the previous owner and the uke....

I'd rather have crayon on my label than a damaged label anytime...adds to the mystery of the previous owner and the uke....

Interestingly enough, the "label" is laser engraved wood instead of paper or foil as is the S/N "sticker" - another piece of wood glued to the inside neck block. I mainly wanted to see if there were any other markings under the crayon, though... now I may just stick w/it as it does kind of add to the "mystery" of the earlier owner. And, when I want to show it off, I can always point to one of Nuprin's YouTube's he made with it - :)

I think WD40 is a great crayon remover amongst other things(what I have heard). Also, might try Goof Off. Works on just about anything sticky and slimey.

Terrible news!!!!

It is a radio active substance & cannot be removed and it will certainly cause your right hand to wither away and fall off. Send it to me immediatey and I'll take the fall, I love G String ukes.

Glenn try hair spray. One of the dragon ladies (30 year teachers) at work told me that hair spray will remove crayon from unwanted surfaces.

the real question here is ' who lets their kids loose on such a cool uke with a crayon?'
mine are not allowed any where near my kala, especially after what happened to their last two:(

nice score by the way

Cliff

Glenn try hair spray. One of the dragon ladies (30 year teachers) at work told me that hair spray will remove crayon from unwanted surfaces.

Interesting... I guess I'll try that on a Q-tip or soft rag on a bit of it - I don't want to risk any overspray onto the finish. I'll try something this weekend.

Top Bottom